Planned Parenthood Suing Several States

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Go ahead and disagree with the pro abortion arguments that rexlunae made, that's something that pro lifers are supposed to do (disagree with pro abortionists).

:dunce:

I did. Later on in the same post you just quoted

Priceless

You mean this post?

More on Armstrong v. Exceptional Child Care Center Inc here

So PP certainly can sue LA.

More on the 'Would the De-fund Planned Parenthood bill be a bill of attainder?'here

Apparently, the argument didn't work for ACORN
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470919&postcount=12

Yeah, you really let the pro abortion crowd have it with the rest of your post.

WizardofOz

From their point of view, expanding their services would be an improvement.

Should there be no oversight? How does spending $14,000 a day on travel expand or improve to the level that this type of spending is justifiable? $600,000 parties, etc...

Would you agree that they have over $100 million after accounting for all of their expenses?

(Glad you're not sticking to that $100M profit nonsense now.)

Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, said Planned Parenthood's $127 million in profit last year showed the organization could survive without federal funds. He accused the group of lavishly spending on travel, hosting "blowout parties" and paying "exorbitant salaries."

You do realize that's a part of why they held the hearing, right?

WizardofOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Go ahead and disagree with the pro abortion arguments that rexlunae made, that's something that pro lifers are supposed to do (disagree with pro abortionists).

You mean this post?

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470919&postcount=12

Yeah, you really let the pro abortion crowd have it with the rest of your post.

Do you not understand the cases and judgements I cited? Either get into the discussion or get out of the way.

gcthomas

Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, said Planned Parenthood's $127 million in profit last year showed the organization could survive without federal funds. He accused the group of lavishly spending on travel, hosting "blowout parties" and paying "exorbitant salaries."

You do realize that's a part of why they held the hearing, right?

I would have thought that a buisiness oriented Republican ought to understand the meaning of the word 'profit', even if you don't. Unless (whisper it!) that Republican has an ulterior motive in attacking PP that is not related to its finances.

WizardofOz

You seem to have 'missed' the first half of my post.

From their point of view, expanding their services would be an improvement.

Should there be no oversight? How does spending $14,000 a day on travel expand or improve to the level that this type of spending is justifiable? $600,000 parties, etc...

Would you agree that they have over $100 million after accounting for all of their expenses?

rexlunae

Rexlunae - I am not necessarily disagreeing with the counter arguments you've presented as I just recently started digging into the legal arguments each side is utilizing.

Fair enough.

More on the 'Would the De-fund Planned Parenthood bill be a bill of attainder?'here

Apparently, the argument didn't work for ACORN

I think that the decision of the Second Circuit is pretty bizarre on a number of counts. That, too, was a Congressional hit-job that the courts refused to halt despite what seems to be pretty clear Constitutional grounds. I think I'll refrain from going into that too deeply right now to avoid getting into the weeds, but the decision is here for the curious:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1534979.html

In that ACORN case the court held that the defunding wasn't a punishment. But the analysis there was pretty fact specific, so I'm not sure how things would turn out in this case. The fact that the punishment is a "defunding," however, seems to make it a harder case for Planned Parenthood to make out as it undercuts one of the three tests (the historical test).

It seems to me that really, where ACORN went wrong was in endorsing Barack Obama. The Right was pretty content to leave them alone mostly until it sided with The Enemy, which then brought a video sting operation that actually did uncover some misconduct by a few people, and then the congressional hearings began, and defunding was right around the corner. The initial trial judge thought it was a bill of attainder, and issued a permanent injunction, which he did not stay. After losing at the Second Circuit, an appeal to the Supreme Court was filed, but I can find no record of the case ever being heard, or the appeal accepted or refused, and the group collapsed shortly thereafter, perhaps in part because the local chapters started quitting the national group, because the defunding law applied to "affiliates and allies", to hell with freedom of association or due process, and the thing that they all had in common was that they advocated for the poor.

I know it's tempting to draw on ideological positions about abortion or the poor in judging these groups, but isn't that a bit chilling? What if Congress decided they didn't care for the Boy Scouts of America, and passed a "defunding" law against not only the Scouts themselves, but also anyone and any organization that was an "affiliate" or an "ally". Should Congress have the power to snuff out private organizations that rely on funding for a part of their budget without any due process or obligation to fairness or accuracy for entirely political reasons?

In any case, Planned Parenthood is not ACORN, and there's a lot more money behind them and a lot more public and political support. I don't think they're going to collapse too quickly regardless, and that's a fight almost guaranteed to make it to the Supreme Court if the defunding passed.

Jose Fly

Pretty good points here...

Doing the Math on Planned Parenthood’s Alleged Fetal Tissue Profit Scheme

How much profit? I don't mean the real, nonfictional money at stake: $100 million in federal funding for Planned Parenthood, which is required only to fund nonabortion services such as contraception and STI treatment. I'm talking about the imaginary money at the center of the conspiracy theory, the alleged “profit” that Planned Parenthood and its patients are making off this fetal tissue racket. How much can women and their doctors expect once they hop onto this gravy train?

The numbers being tossed around seem rather miniscule for an evil criminal organization: $30 to $100 a specimen. That's not profit—that's reimbursement.

“In reality, $30-100 probably constitutes a loss for [Planned Parenthood],” Sherilyn J. Sawyer, a biotech expert at Harvard, told FactCheck.org. “Most hospitals will provide tissue blocks from surgical procedures (ones no longer needed for clinical purposes, and without identity) for research, and cost recover for their time and effort in the range of $100-500 per case/block.”

Those hospitals probably don't tolerate too much of a loss, so let's be generous and assume the biggest bath they take is $50 per specimen. This math is backed up by five separate state investigations that show Planned Parenthood is making no profits off “selling” fetal body parts.

Per-specimen profit for Planned Parenthood: negative $50 to $0.

But what about economies of scale, you might ask. Perhaps the reimbursements of $30 to $100 sound small on paper, but over the many clinics that Planned Parenthood operates, maybe the picture starts to look different? The problem, as the Associated Press reports, is that fewer than 1 percent of clinics offer the service. That means seven or fewer clinics offering a service on which they either break even or lose money.

Overall profit for Planned Parenthood: $0, multipled by seven, equaling $0. Now, that's the kind of cold, hard cash that can really keep a billion-dollar organization afloat.

gcthomas

Should there be no oversight?

Oversight, yes. Oversight by politico-religious groups that have invested in destroying PP? I think that wouldn't be a good thing.

(You still seem to be pushing the 'profit' line.
Q for you - should charities continue to be encouraged to run a single digit percentage surplus, as they seem to be, or must they be unable to use funds to expand?)

WizardofOz

(You still seem to be pushing the 'profit' line.
Q for you - should charities continue to be encouraged to run a single digit percentage surplus, as they seem to be, or must they be unable to use funds to expand?)

Come on, gct. Are you going to respond to my questions or not?

How does spending $14,000 a day on travel expand or improve to the level that this type of spending is justifiable? $600,000 parties, etc...

gcthomas

Shouldn't questions asked first be answered first? :idunno:

You asked if there should be oversight, and I said conditionally yes. You immediately quoted the second half of my post and challenged me to answer, despite cutting out my answer.

I asked from post #13 onwards one question, essentially this: do you think the $100M is a business profit that individuals are benefiting from, or is it a surplus that must be ploughed back into the charity's work?

You still haven't answered. Because the answer is that the 'profit' accusation is plainly false and you know it?

WizardofOz

You asked if there should be oversight, and I said conditionally yes. You immediately quoted the second half of my post and challenged me to answer, despite cutting out my answer.

I realize you addressed the oversight part. We're good on that. I kept repeating my questions that you failed to address at all.

I asked from post #13 onwards one question, essentially this: do you think the $100M is a business profit that individuals are benefiting from, or is it a surplus that must be ploughed back into the charity's work?

You still haven't answered. Because the answer is that the 'profit' accusation is plainly false and you know it?

I addressed it. You are trying to play a deflective game of semantics (profit versus surplus) in order to avoid the point of how their money is spent. This is a big part as to why the oversight committee hearing was held in the first place.

PP has hundreds of millions of dollars in excess after accounting for all of their expenses. However, in order to keep their non-profit status they must "reinvest" this into their business rather than giving it to owners.

Question 1: Would you agree that they have over $100 million after accounting for all of their expenses?

Question 2: How is spending $14k per day on travel or throwing $600k celebrity parties expanding or improving their business?

rexlunae

Question 1: Would you agree that they have over $100 million after accounting for all of their expenses?

I'm kinda curious about something. Is there a problem with them having $100+ million in profits? That seems relatively modest to me, for a national organization.

Question 2: How is spending $14k per day on travel or throwing $600k celebrity parties expanding or improving their business?

It's pretty easy to spend $14k per day on travel in a large organization. Of course it seems like a waste of money when we're just looking at the aggregate sum without any explanation what it was used for, but it probably represents the travel expenses of a few dozen people. I've personally been reimbursed for travel on a six-week period for about $17k, so if you figure that their traveling expenses are similar (and there are standard per diem rates for given areas), that would mean that on average day, they have about 34 people traveling. That's not exorbitant by any reasonable standard.

As for the $600k parties, that also sounds fairly reasonable to me for a celebrity party. And these parties may also be fundraisers. Looking at the cost doesn't tell the whole story.

WizardofOz

I'm kinda curious about something. Is there a problem with them having $100+ million in profits? That seems relatively modest to me, for a national organization.

Not necessarily, this is simply the point where gct is trying to bog down the discussion. I was never disputing their non-profit status in the first place.

It's pretty easy to spend $14k per day on travel in a large organization. Of course it seems like a waste of money when we're just looking at the aggregate sum without any explanation what it was used for, but it probably represents the travel expenses of a few dozen people. I've personally been reimbursed for travel on a six-week period for about $17k, so if you figure that their traveling expenses are similar (and there are standard per diem rates for given areas), that would mean that on average day, they have about 34 people traveling. That's not exorbitant by any reasonable standard.

As for the $600k parties, that also sounds fairly reasonable to me for a celebrity party. And these parties may also be fundraisers. Looking at the cost doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm sure such expenditures can be rationalized but I am all for the oversight and transparency as to the paticulars.

Back to our earlier exchange, I still do not see how a bill defunding PP is unconstitutional...

rexlunae

Not necessarily, this is simply the point where gct is trying to bog down the discussion. I was never disputing their non-profit status in the first place.

Ok, so, $100 million is reasonable. Check.

I'm sure such expenditures can be rationalized but I am all for the oversight and transparency as to the paticulars.

I'm sure they comply with all requirements of the law in that regard. Transparency is a worthy cause, but there's been no suggestion that I'm aware of that their spending is anything but above board, so I guess I don't see why they are particularly a target for this at this moment other than as an excuse to continue the witch hunt against them.

Back to our earlier exchange, I still do not see how a bill defunding PP is unconstitutional...

It's a bill of attainder. It's just that simple, to me. And if you want a second reasons, passing a law punishing "affiliates" seems to violate the Constitutional freedom of association. If the Second Circuit disagrees, I'd like to see the Supreme Court take it up. I did give a rather thorough discussion of this topic, so far unanswered.

WizardofOz

Ok, so, $100 million is reasonable. Check.

Just be sure to explain to gct that non-profits can indeed profit just as long as they reinvest the funds into their business.

I'm sure they comply with all requirements of the law in that regard. Transparency is a worthy cause, but there's been no suggestion that I'm aware of that their spending is anything but above board, so I guess I don't see why they are particularly a target for this at this moment other than as an excuse to continue the witch hunt against them.

I'm sure it largely revolved around the videos (this time). But obviously there have been numerous pushes to defund them. I have no issue with the oversight committee digging into their finances.

It's a bill of attainder. It's just that simple, to me.

I just don't think it's that simple.

And if you want a second reasons, passing a law punishing "affiliates" seems to violate the Constitutional freedom of association. If the Second Circuit disagrees, I'd like to see the Supreme Court take it up. I did give a rather thorough discussion of this topic, so far unanswered.

I am not igoring it but am doing some further digging. I like to be careful with legal arguments as they can be quite technical (it's just not that simple, to me :p).

Further reading:
Defunding Planned Parenthood Is Legal, but Don’t Expect the Courts to Act Like It