Thread: Battle Talk ~ BR XI

Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stipe
    quite a few formatting errors in turbos post .. has he seen the 'preview' button?
    If you only knew!

Having typed up a bunch of fragmented responses to theo's questions, as well as other bits from his posts that I wanted to respond to, I spent several hours last night just trying to piece it all together in a coherent way.

By then it was about two hours until the post was due (and very late at night here on the east coast), and I spent all of that trying to format it properly. I must have used the preview button two dozen times. I don't doubt that I missed some formatting errors, but it takes forever to format a post that long.

I hadn't looked at it again since I posted it. Is it really that bad? At a glance now I see two tag errors. (I just ran a "find" for an angle bracket and they popped right up. I wish I had thought of that last night.) Is there more?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley
    I'm anxiously awaiting how theo will explain why the DP is wrong because of repentence and forgiveness, but why all punishment is not wrong for the same reason. Great round by Turbo.
    Well.......I suppose you could argue that imprisonment is kinda like forgiveness in this way: Someone murders your whole family, and now, rather than getting what he deserves, YOU pay HIM your hard-earned dollars to keep him cool in the summer and warm in the winter, buy him a weight set, a lounge with a ping pong table and a TV that's better than yours, ....

Sounds like forgiveness to ME.
    Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had. - Michael Crichton

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,628 Times in 9,455 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you missed colourising and numbering a question in there somewhere (number 12?) and ..something else ...

my memory is fading on the formatting thing .. all i can remember is a brilliant post.

well done
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stipe
    my memory is fading on the formatting thing .. all i can remember is a brilliant post.

well done
    Now that's more like it!

Thanks.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theo,
    I believe that Hebrews 8.13 will be a key to your argument. I, too, was once a DP supporter, but I was also stupid enough to have supported abortion. But when the Lord got ahold of me, he made me "pro-life" in every sense... including not taking the lives of criminals because, as you said, Jesus took the death penalty for us.
    Blessings of Peace,Chileice
    "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15.13

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turbo's BRXI Round 2B
    As long as there is breath there is Hope...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job Turbo. And thanks to everyone that make debates like this possible.

"The "Puzzling" Story of Karla Faye Tucker is Easily Solved"

Not only is the Karla Faye Tucker puzzle solved, Theo's whole debate is destroyed. Touche'-- with Luke 23.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theo_victis
    I find it appalling how many of you changed your avatars to some symbolization of the DP. Shouldn’t it break your heart to see someone die?
    I saw this quote when theo first posted it but I forgot where I read it and ran across it agin this AM.

It does, in fact, break my heart, when someone becomes wicked enough to molest a child, murder, rape! It breaks my heart even more when they get out of prison and do it again!
    It breaks my heart that because the death penalty is not properly applied (swiftly and painfully) that the law does not deter people from becoming murderers, rapists and child molesters in the first place. It breaks my heart that Christians don't see the wisdom of Psa 58:10! "The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked".
    Last edited by Delmar; September 23rd, 2006 at 07:37 AM.

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,840 Posts

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How in the world is theo going to keep this thing going for five rounds?

Turbo's round 2 post doesn't exhast the issue entirely but it comes pretty darn close!

Something tells me that this debate is fixing to get repetative but it will be fun to see how theo answers Turbo's questions.

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,628 Times in 9,455 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps he will concede ... ? i mean .. perhaps he has a few points that he could provide revelation if he up and changed his mind after round two ...

itd probably be more productive than 5 rounds of repetition...
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Primghar is AWOL...
    "I maintain my pride in the face of men, but I abandon it before God, who drew me out of nothingness to make me what I am." - The Count of Monte Cristo

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted my response. I forgot to include my sources cited. Because I was typing that in a seperate word document. I will post them in the next round and I will state which quote came from where in places where I neglected to post it. Sorry about that guys!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Primghar is AWOL...
    She is actually buying bride's maid dresses for our wedding! Hooray I am getting married!

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Helm
    This must be what you're talking about. My good buddy Wamba answered your questions to my satisfaction (to whom you didn't reply), but I can take another shot at them.

No, we need to use biblical methods such as restitution.

Because we shouldn't just "forgive and forget" any punishments.
    Criminals have to pay the consequences of their crimes: Christian or no Christian.
    No. Every one should have the chance to be saved. Did the murderer's victim get that chance? Yes, but it was certainly cut short. The murderer needs to pay the God ordained consequences of his crime. He will have the chance to convert...right before he gets a short drop and a sudden stop.
    You're right. Christ did teach to forgive. But Jesus was talking about individual relationships, not government policy toward criminals. Besides, you can only forgive someone to the extent they have hurt you.

1. This is again talking about individuals, not Government policy. If someone sins against you (ie. lies) and then repents and asks for forgiveness, certainly forgive him. But if a man rapes a woman (a crime), and he is later caught and then repents and asks for forgiveness, the woman can forgive him but he has in no way voidated his punishment.
    2. Jesus was preaching from under the Law: i.e. "If you don't forgive, you won't be forgiven." We are under Grace, therefore Paul's teaching: "Forgive others, because God has forgiven you" is much more applicable to us dealing with other individuals.
    Now that I've answered all of your questions, please begin to answer my new line of questioning: Do you agree that God authorized Governments to punish criminals?

Yes.

Over 500 post club sentientsynth's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to say one thing:

Israel was given the perfect Law, but She became more wicked than any of her surrounding Gentile countries. Having good laws is not a deterrent. People will still be just as wicked, if not more wicked, and will continue as ever in their depraved acts, just as in the case of Israel.

In this dispensation, Saints are to have no place judging those who are outside of the Church (1Cor.5:12), only those who are within.

But as to whether or not those who commit capital crimes should be given capital punishment, I say, make it painful, shameful, and swift. A sweet little "cocktail" in the forearm is far too sweet.

In the jungles of South America are gargantuan-sized ant beds. Throw in the child rapists and televise it for all the future child rapists to see. That's justice.

SS

Thread Information