Dear Gun Culture: THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT

Granite

Hall of Fame
That is a contemptible, typically liberal fanatic thing to say.

Absolutely nothing else makes sense, bybee.

After Sandy Hook I said that if this didn't change the discussion, nothing would. And it didn't. Dead children were considered acceptable. Sandy Hook pretty much marks the point of no return when it comes to the gun issue in this country: When we decided to do nothing after little children were shot to bits in a school, we officially declared guns were more important.

And I mean literally nothing. Absolutely nothing changed after Sandy Hook; if anything, gun and ammo sales went up. You ever notice the only people who ever benefit from massacres are the NRA and the manufacturers they lobby for?

Worse yet, some paranoid freaks were so contemptible, so opportunistic, so ghoulish post Sandy Hook that they had the gruesome audacity to claim the shooting didn't happen but was in fact a psy op intended to stoke opposition to gun ownership and precipitate a crackdown on firearms. None of this happened. Of course. And these wretched ghouls still perpetuate their lies. Of course. And they're the ones with the guns. Of course.

That's the trade-off. That's considered the sacrifice necessary to water the tree of liberty: We have mass shootings on a regular basis, and then we're told we need guns. More guns. ALL the guns. We're told we need to arm ourselves to the teeth. And then another shooting happens and we're told the same thing. The dead from these atrocities are implicitly treated as sacrifices necessary for liberty.

When Jeb Bush said recently in Roseburg's wake that "Stuff happens," he inadvertently blurted out the truth: A few people are dead, but, hey. Second Amendment.

What we're told, fundamentally, is that a dead six-year-old in Connecticut means less to us than the carbine used to kill her.

Who here off the top of their head--no Google--can name one child murdered in Newtown?

And who here knows what weapons her murderer used?

Our priorities are so, so screwed.

bybee

Absolutely nothing else makes sense, bybee.

After Sandy Hook I said that if this didn't change the discussion, nothing would. And it didn't. Dead children were considered acceptable. Sandy Hook pretty much marks the point of no return when it comes to the gun issue in this country: When we decided to do nothing after little children were shot to bits in a school, we officially declared guns were more important.

And I mean literally nothing. Absolutely nothing changed after Sandy Hook; if anything, gun and ammo sales went up. You ever notice the only people who ever benefit from massacres are the NRA and the manufacturers they lobby for?

Worse yet, some paranoid freaks were so contemptible, so opportunistic, so ghoulish post Sandy Hook that they had the gruesome audacity to claim the shooting didn't happen but was in fact a psy op intended to stoke opposition to gun ownership and precipitate a crackdown on firearms. None of this happened. Of course. And these wretched ghouls still perpetuate their lies. Of course. And they're the ones with the guns. Of course.

That's the trade-off. That's considered the sacrifice necessary to water the tree of liberty: We have mass shootings on a regular basis, and then we're told we need guns. More guns. ALL the guns. We're told we need to arm ourselves to the teeth. And then another shooting happens and we're told the same thing. The dead from these atrocities are implicitly treated as sacrifices necessary for liberty.

When Jeb Bush said recently in Roseburg's wake that "Stuff happens," he inadvertently blurted out the truth: A few people are dead, but, hey. Second Amendment.

What we're told, fundamentally, is that a dead six-year-old in Connecticut means less to us than the carbine used to kill her.

Who here off the top of their head--no Google--can name one child murdered in Newtown?

And who here knows what weapons her murderer used?

Our priorities are so, so screwed.

Murder is not acceptable! However it is achieved!
I cannot wallow in angst over all of the ills and injustices in this world.
All of the outrage, shouting, handwringing and posturing is just "sound and fury signifying nothing"!
Blaming inanimate objects for actions is to miss the mark.
People kill. People rape. People riot and set fires that destroy neighborhoods and small businesses. People at the top of large corporations rape all of us economically. There is plenty of guilt to go around.
I am not naïve.
I am pragmatic.
What can I do about it? I do not wish to fight about guns. There are plenty of laws on the books already.
I will pay attention to things going on locally. All of our schools are locked to the public. But there is absolutely no protection on school buses. I vote. I work at the polling place. Contrary to some of my behavior here on TOL, I try to be a voice of reason when the rhetoric gets hateful. I defended the necessity of helping refugee women and children who are suffering such hardships in refugee camps on Facebook. I was told to bring them into my home then, along with other cogent responses! But it helped because others then spoke up in a more moderate voice.
As an individual I am grateful for those fighting the good fight in the big picture. But, also, as an individual, I feel called to do my part on a daily basis with the individual resources which I have at hand.
If I suffer for everybody I cannot do a thing. If I blame everybody no one is called to task.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Bybee, you seem to be saying "stuff happens," and that bad things are bad. And that thinking about them is upsetting.

Doesn't address my post.

This Charming Manc

Even though i am an ocean away i feel alot less safe knowing you have a gun.

I don't think that fact makes anyone in the world an ounce safer (I include you in this).

Thanks for the reminder Buzz, I need to renew my concealed weapons permit soon (i.e. I'll protect you even though you refuse to protect yourself).

WizardofOz

After Sandy Hook I said that if this didn't change the discussion, nothing would. And it didn't.

Sadly, I am going to have to agree with you on Sandy Hook. What's 9 dead college kids compared to that? If Sandy Hook didn't get something done, what will?

We had a discussion in another thread of some action that could be taken. Why can't background checks be more stringent? I see no harm in that. Lawful ownership won't be curtailed.

I like the idea of a gun buyback program. This is completely voluntary so who on the gun-rights side can argue with it?

There are simply too many guns on the streets and obviously this saturation is causing them to fall into the wrong hands.

Dead children were considered acceptable.

I don't think that anyone will agree to that. It's more the point of what can be done that will prevent such tragedies. The pro-gun crowd will stick to their right to bear arms and the anti-gun crown will make emotional pleas for control but with no ideas that could feasibly be legislated.

Hopefully both sides are increasingly willing to meet in the middle.

Sandy Hook pretty much marks the point of no return when it comes to the gun issue in this country: When we decided doing nothing after little children were shot to bits in a school, we officially declared guns were more important.

I know I won't forget about Sandy Hook. It's unfortunate that mass shootings keep occurring, with each one pushing Sandy Hook further into a faded nightmare.

It shouldn't be forgotten and should still be discussed as (hopefully) the low point for worst such tragedy possible.

You must admit that it is possible that a gun in the right hands could limit the body count. Maybe if Army veteren Chris Mintz had a firearm he could have more effectively fought back.

The 2nd Ammendment isn't going away. Given it, what forms of control can we expect to pass legal muster and still be an effective measure of prevention?

Granite is absolutely correct. Something must be done. Getting anyone to agree what that is will ultimately continue to prove to be the roadblock.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like the idea of a gun buyback program. This is completely voluntary so who on the gun-rights side can argue with it?

I can. It's implying that guns are the problem, not the people who possess evil intentions (Aaron wants to put yet another band aid over a cancer).

There are simply too many guns on the streets and obviously this saturation is causing them to fall into the wrong hands...

The 2nd Ammendment isn't going away....

You act like the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution is a bad thing. (Once again Aaron flies his liberal colors).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sadly, I am going to have to agree with you on Sandy Hook. What's 9 dead college kids compared to that? If Sandy Hook didn't get something done, what will?

I can't imagine how horrific a shooting would have to be in order for us to sit up and demand action. Maybe a live televised mass shooting would be what it took--at a sporting event, or something.

Why can't background checks be more stringent? I see no harm in that. Lawful ownership won't be curtailed. I like the idea of a gun buyback program. This is completely voluntary so who on the gun-rights side can argue with it?

All they need to do is say "slippery slope" and dismiss these ideas out of hand. Works every time.

There are simply too many guns on the streets and obviously this saturation is causing them to fall into the wrong hands.

Nope, we need more. LaPierre says so.

I don't think that anyone will agree to that.

In those words? No. (Well; rarely. See below.) Implicitly? Yes, they do. When push comes to shove, this is where we are: The right to stockpile guns wantonly and with next to no oversight is more important than a roomful of dead kids.

Then of course there's always this abomination, who a year ago put things quite plainly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/27/joe-the-plumber-guns_n_5397981.html

I know I won't forget about Sandy Hook. It's unfortunate that mass shootings keep occurring, with each one pushing Sandy Hook further into a faded nightmare.

Two or three more massacres from now it'll just be another name on a list. Watch.

You must admit that it is possible that a gun in the right hands could limit the body count.

Possible but extremely unlikely.

http://mic.com/articles/123112/scie...-person-handles-a-deadly-situation-with-a-gun

Keep in mind a vet who was armed on the scene decided it was more dangerous to attempt to intervene.

The 2nd Ammendment isn't going away. Given it, what forms of control can we expect to pass legal muster and still be an effective measure of prevention?

I expect...nothing.

WizardofOz

I can. It's implying that guns are the problem, not the people who possess evil intentions (Aaron wants to put yet another band aid over a cancer).

A gun buyback program in, let's say, Baltimore or Detroit or Los Angeles isn't a good idea?

Tell me why it isn't, especially in a high gun crime, inner city setting...

Thanks for flying your liberal colors Aaron.

You don't think there are too many guns on the streets and in the hands of gang members and other people who have no business carrying?

You support gun control, everyone does. Hopefully what level of control may be effective can actually be discussed without trying to score "liberal" or "conservative" 'battle' points. :loser:

Maybe you should go back to your pet thread and let the adults talk.

bybee

Bybee, you seem to be saying "stuff happens," and that bad things are bad. And that thinking about them is upsetting.

Doesn't address my post.

I guess we are "two ships passing each other in the night....?".
What I am saying is that ranting and raving doesn't accomplish anything!. Factual statements about a specific situation will address what has happened, possible causes and possible solutions.
If every incident is turned into a global condemnation nothing gets accomplished.
I resent you saying that I say "stuff happens, etc"!
If that were my stance I wouldn't bother posting on TOL and getting indigestion dealing with your snide and patronizing remarks.
I care intensely what happens to people, all people! I do my best to be a positive, helpful person. I have my own methods of problem solving and dealing with the needs of others.
They are not your methods.
I am no longer going to speak with you.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame