Oregon Community College Shooting - What law (if any) could have prevented it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A gunman opens fire and kills at least 10 at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon.

President Obama made a statement saying congress should enact gun control laws.

So I want to know....

What law could have prevented yesterday's tragedy?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No law can stop a tragedy like this, but two measures would greatly reduce the incidence of mass shootings and murder in general:
First, redact gun regulations. Encourage people to carry. If just one of the people who were murdered were packing heat, the death toll could have been zero.
Second, institute the death penalty to be enforced swiftly and painfully. If would-be murderers saw how they would end up, they would be deterred from acting.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What if it were a law that all schools had to have at least one armed guard on duty at all times? Bigger schools would have more.

I think that would have dramatically reduced the chances that this tragedy would have occurred.

musterion

If gun control worked as advertised, liberal cities like E. St. Louis, Chicago and others would be utopias with gun crime rates far lower than that in areas where legal gun ownership, particularly CC, is common.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What if it were a law that all schools had to have at least one armed guard on duty at all times? Bigger schools would have more.

I think that would have dramatically reduced the chances that this tragedy would have occurred.

yes, i thought you were asking what gun control law would have prevented it, and that would be none.

Quetzal

I work at a community college and we have two armed police officers on duty. I would be on board with this idea.

Foxfire

I would agree with that so long as the "armed' person was a trained professional "armed guard", (officer ect; ) not just a teacher with a gun.

That hasn't always ended well in states where arming teachers has been tried.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-utah-school-shooting-20140911-story.html

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/05/idaho-arms-teachers-teacher-shoots-himself-in-foot-on-first-week-of-classes/

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The armed guard law might have helped. However, it would create a first target, not to mention cost millions.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The armed guard law might have helped. However, it would create a first target, not to mention cost millions.
Overall it might cost millions but not for each individual school.

With the price of tuition from thousands of students I'm sure the schools could easily afford it. I think it's reasonable to require that the school properly secure it's customers.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A gunman opens fire and kills at least 10 at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon.

President Obama made a statement saying congress should enact gun control laws.

So I want to know....

Possibly armed guards could have prevented it. But, if someone wants to get in to kill people badly enough, nothing could have stopped them.

glorydaz

No law can stop a tragedy like this, but two measures would greatly reduce the incidence of mass shootings and murder in general:
First, redact gun regulations. Encourage people to carry. If just one of the people who were murdered were packing heat, the death toll could have been zero.
Second, institute the death penalty to be enforced swiftly and painfully. If would-be murderers saw how they would end up, they would be deterred from acting.

I totally agree. It would take the "fun" out of it if you thought someone might shoot you down before you got to run around living out some sick fantasy.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would agree with that so long as the "armed' person was a trained professional "armed guard", (officer ect; ) not just a teacher with a gun.

That hasn't always ended well in states where arming teachers has been tried.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-utah-school-shooting-20140911-story.html

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/05/idaho-arms-teachers-teacher-shoots-himself-in-foot-on-first-week-of-classes/

Neither of those stories have anything to do with a active school shooter so I don't think those are good examples of teachers with guns not being able to help deter a crime.

However.... I am suggesting that schools hire trained, armed, security guards and not just teachers with guns although that might help as well.

I think this is something that is actually doable that would at very least make it much harder to pull off a crime such as yesterdays shooting. The Oregon school was a "gun free zone" which is the dumbest thing in the world as it's an invitation to such a crime. Get rid of "gun free zones" and have trained professionals on site, ready to defend innocent lives.

I went to the passport office a few weeks ago and there were 4 armed guards on duty. I think there were more armed guards on duty than there were clerks working. I felt very safe there.

If we can do it there, why not at schools where this type of thing seems to happen on a regular basis?

glorydaz

We have lots of people in need of a job. Hire more law enforcement. Put lots of them in every school. This isn't the 50's anymore and we act like the world is the same as it was. It isn't. These cowards wouldn't be so quick to go where people are prepared to "greet" them as they deserve to be "greeted".