The Birth of the New Testament Church

Robert Pate

Banned
"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place" Acts 2:1.

The word must have gotten out that God was going to reveal some great thing to the apostles that he had never revealed to them before. People came from all over that part of the world to see and to hear what this was, Acts 2:9-11.

What happened next was one of the most amazing events in human history. A sound from heaven as of a rushing wind that filled the house where they were sitting. Cloven tongues like fire sat upon each one of them and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, Acts 2:2-4.

Whatever God was going to reveal to the apostles must be very important for there to be such a demonstration of the Holy Spirit such as this.

"Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues THE WONDERFUL WORKS OF GOD" Acts 2:11. The wonderful works of God is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the Gospel that justifies ungodly sinners, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

This message preached by Peter on the day of Pentecost literally turned Jerusalem upside down. Thousand heard and believed the Gospel and were saved, Acts 2:41, Acts 4:4. It was the Gospel message that gave birth to the New Testament church. "Faith came by hearing and hearing by the Gospel of Jesus Christ" Romans 10:17.

No one was predestinated to hear and believe this Gospel message. Some that heard the Gospel and believed it had participated in the crucifixon of Christ, Acts 2:36. Jerusalem was never the same after the day of Pentecost. The scripture says that the apostles went everywhere preaching the resurrection of Jesus Christ, Acts 4:2. They did not preach the death or the crucifixon of Christ, they preached the resurrection.

Pentecostals need to take note that nothing, absolutly nothing was said about the Pentecost experience of the sound of the rushing wind or the tongues experience. The apostles had a much greater message than that. The had the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They had the Gospel that is the power of God unto salvation, Romans 1:16. They had the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

fishrovmen

They were probably getting together to worship. No wonder you don't understand it. And yes, amazing things DO happen during a worship service.

RBBI

They were getting together because it was required of all males to appear 3 times in the year for the 3 main moed's (divine appointments) of which Shavuot was one of them.

And yes they did talk about what happened that day, read Acts again, not to mention about the gifts of the Spirit in Corinthians, ect.

Yeshua came to reverse all the curses, and included the confusion of tongues from the tower of Babel. HaShem restored what was lost. Peace

Robert Pate

Banned
They were getting together because it was required of all males to appear 3 times in the year for the 3 main moed's (divine appointments) of which Shavuot was one of them.

And yes they did talk about what happened that day, read Acts again, not to mention about the gifts of the Spirit in Corinthians, ect.

Yeshua came to reverse all the curses, and included the confusion of tongues from the tower of Babel. HaShem restored what was lost. Peace

There is no mention of what happened on the day of Pentecost. Please show scripture. All of the gifts of the Holy Spirit were given to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This is what Acts is all about. It is about how God used many various means to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.

RBBI

There is no mention of what happened on the day of Pentecost. Please show scripture. All of the gifts of the Holy Spirit were given to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This is what Acts is all about. It is about how God used many various means to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.

I'm not following you.

Acts means works, the Holy Ghost does the works, acts is about the works the disciples did after being imbued with the power from on high, which they waited on in the upper room. Corinthians discusses what those works are and to some extent how they operate. Peace

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
I'm not following you.

Acts means works, the Holy Ghost does the works, acts is about the works the disciples did after being imbued with the power from on high, when they waited on in the upper room. Corinthians discusses what those works are and to some extent how they operate. Peace

The Holy Spirit does not do works. The Holy Spirit prompts the Christian to do good works.

The Gospel came into the world in the power of the Holy Spirit and indwelt those who heard and believed the Gospel.

RBBI

I think you need to look at the characteristics of the new church a little closer. It appears to me you have skipped one of the two baptism Yeshua said was necessary to fulfill ALL righteousness.

Luk 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Notice that He teaches you. That's a work.

1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Heb 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Jde 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

He teaches, He gives operates spiritual gifts, He prays through us. Those are works. Peace

Robert Pate

Banned
I think you need to look at the characteristics of the new church a little closer. It appears to me you have skipped one of the two baptism Yeshua said was necessary to fulfill ALL righteousness.

Luk 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Heb 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Jde 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

He teaches, He gives operates spiritual gifts, He prays through us. Those are works. Peace

Is it you that is posting this comment or is it the Holy Spirit?

I think that it is you, because the Holy Spirit does not speak of himself, John 16:13.

fishrovmen

Robert doesnt believe that God is active in this world. No miracles, no extraordinary power or events

Right Divider

Body part
"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place" Acts 2:1.

The word must have gotten out that God was going to reveal some great thing to the apostles that he had never revealed to them before. People came from all over that part of the world to see and to hear what this was, Acts 2:9-11.
Pentecost was one of the three times per year that all Israelites were required BY LAW to travel to Jerusalem. They were there EVERY YEAR.

Robert Pate

Banned
Robert doesnt believe that God is active in this world. No miracles, no extraordinary power or events

This is the age of faith and grace.

The greatest miracle that the world can ever imagine has already happened in the incarnation and Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The next great miracle and event will be the return of Jesus.

Right Divider

Body part
Sure, but this time it was different.
They were not there "because word got around".

There were certainly prophecies about this day, but scripture does not point to any special "word going around" as you seem to suggest here.

Everything that happened was all perfectly in line with all that the prophets said would happen someday regarding Israel.

Robert Pate

Banned
They were not there "because word got around".

There were certainly prophecies about this day, but scripture does not point to any special "word going around" as you seem to suggest here.

Everything that happened was all perfectly in line with all that the prophets said would happen someday regarding Israel.

So, you think that what happened on the day of Pentecost happened without any clue? Surprise! here comes the Gospel. That is not how the Lord does things.

RBBI

Is it you that is posting this comment or is it the Holy Spirit?

I think that it is you, because the Holy Spirit does not speak of himself, John 16:13.

I didn't speak of myself, unless you mean the "I think" at the beginning of the post. And I still think it, and it appears I was not incorrect. There are two baptisms to be baptized with you've neglected one of them, which is why you can't see the kingdom. Don't wait. Time is almost up. Peace

Jhn 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Jhn 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Water baptism = being baptized into the likeness of His death.
Holy Ghost baptism = being baptized into the likeness of His life.

The first, an infilling, which is symbolized by the inner gold lining on the Ark of the Covenant. The second, symbolized by the outer gold lining on the same Ark. The wood they cover, is symbolic of our humanity. See that ye make it according to the pattern shown ye on the mount. Peace

RBBI

I see. Well, then he'd be wrong, wouldn't he?

I've had miracle healings, and prayed for people to receive them and they did. That is one of the benefits of the covenant and should be the expectation of the believer. Jehovah Jireh, He heals. Peace

Right Divider

Body part
So, you think that what happened on the day of Pentecost happened without any clue? Surprise! here comes the Gospel. That is not how the Lord does things.
No Robert, that is NOT what I said.

What I said was that it was not a "word got around" thing has you had suggested. Also, it was NOT a surprise either.... as it had been foretold in scripture and by THEIR prophets.

I was pointing your post sounded as though some "word got out". The events of that DAY were all foretold in scripture. That is how God does things with Israel.