The Sin of Pride

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Once your thinking trumps your faith you are lost. Man is not the measure of all things, God is the only true measure. The greatest of sins is the desire for moral independence. No human will ever have, or find absolute morality without God.

If you watch this video you will have a better understanding than I can provide.
Ravi Zacharias - Jesus

Reactions: Lon

Greg Jennings

Once your thinking trumps your faith you are lost. Man is not the measure of all things, God is the only true measure. The greatest of sins is the desire for moral independence. No human will ever have, or find absolute morality without God.

If you watch this video you will have a better understanding than I can provide.
Ravi Zacharias - Jesus

You have to be careful when advocating for strict adherence to faith instead of thinking things out. Every terrorist group whether Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, or any other faith claims that they are obeying their god and acting according to that god's will. In order to avoid this problem I think it's very important to ask yourself, "is this moral?" before doing anything extreme. If terrorists gave more thought to secular morality rather than religious morality then they probably wouldn't conclude that people who don't think like they do have to die

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Once your thinking trumps your faith you are lost.

That's why Paul said think soberly according as God has dealt the measure of faith to every man.

Man is not the measure of all things, God is the only true measure.

Sorry hon but right now the man Jesus Christ is the measure.

You wont have a clue of God's measure until he hands the kingdom back to him.

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

The greatest of sins is the desire for moral independence. No human will ever have, or find absolute morality without God.

Why is that the greatest of sins?

God subjected all to vanity.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You need to watch the video before you post back. Once you understand, then my point is gully addressed and nothing is left, other than a personal understanding.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You need to watch the video before you post back. Once you understand, then my point is gully addressed and nothing is left, other than a personal understanding.

I have Christ, I dont need that video.

Wouldn't a personal understanding defeat the purpose?

Greg Jennings

It's quite long. Could you do me and other people here a favor and summarize it? Or tell us which parts of the video (how many minutes in) we should watch to pick up the message of the video? Thanks

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I know it is long. There is one way you might move it along, Try to move the bottom button into the talk and then listen to it, then move it along again.

I see no reason not to listen to the whole video, since most television shows, as banal they be, are this long?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't a personal understanding defeat the purpose?

No. We need to have a personal view, or all theology would be nonsense beyond stating, 'I have faith in Jesus'. This is fine, in itself, yet the subject 'theology' would be meaningless if all personal views were anathema.

When a minister preaches, he uses his own understanding of scripture, which may be less meaningful in it's explanation than another preacher. The reason we have fellowship is to meet each other on a better understanding. Note carefully, once you argue to prove you have the deeper understanding, this is when you fail to further the fellowship of God, and fall into the sin of pride.

Greg Jennings

I know it is long. There is one way you might move it along, Try to move the bottom button into the talk and then listen to it, then move it along again.

I see no reason not to listen to the whole video, since most television shows, as banal they be, are this long?

Well I'm just saying that almost nobody is going to watch any 5+ minute video on an online forum, never mind a 30 minute one. So if you're looking for people to comment on it I think you'll be having a tough time with that. On the other hand if you gave readers a description of it or pointed out the best parts of it to watch then you will get more reaction from people here

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That really is too bad. It seems as to say no online message is worthy of attendance as one would give in church. Then, being so, I would suggest to attend to church and not waste time online.

goodnight

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
No. We need to have a personal view, or all theology would be nonsense beyond stating, 'I have faith in Jesus'. This is fine, in itself, yet the subject 'theology' would be meaningless if all personal views were anathema.

When a minister preaches, he uses his own understanding of scripture, which may be less meaningful in it's explanation than another preacher. The reason we have fellowship is to meet each other on a better understanding. Note carefully, once you argue to prove you have the deeper understanding, this is when you fail to further the fellowship of God, and fall into the sin of pride.

What do you need to know? Maybe I can help.

Jamie Gigliotti

It's quite long. Could you do me and other people here a favor and summarize it? Or tell us which parts of the video (how many minutes in) we should watch to pick up the message of the video? Thanks
Funny I dragged my feet on starting a thread on humility. I agree most won't watch, so He moved me another way today.

RBBI

I can tell you what He told me true humility is.....laying down all that we THINK we are, to take on all that He IS. Peace

popsthebuilder

That's why Paul said think soberly according as God has dealt the measure of faith to every man.

Sorry hon but right now the man Jesus Christ is the measure.

You wont have a clue of God's measure until he hands the kingdom back to him.

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Why is that the greatest of sins?

God subjected all to vanity.
Wow there... Uhm Jesus isn't a man anymore. For like 2000 years now.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
If terrorists gave more thought to secular morality rather than religious morality then they probably wouldn't conclude that people who don't think like they do have to die

Jesus says to love your enemy, so people who value Jesus' teachings, they will not join any kind of violent activity or war.

Greg Jennings

Jesus says to love your enemy, so people who value Jesus' teachings, they will not join any kind of violent activity or war.

What if it's a just war? Like in WW2 when Germany was a force that needed to be dealt with in order to save hundreds of millions of people from future tyranny?

glorydaz

You're right. No sense in talking without watching first. It was a wonderful message. :thumb:

Lon

Well I'm just saying that almost nobody is going to watch any 5+ minute video on an online forum, never mind a 30 minute one. So if you're looking for people to comment on it I think you'll be having a tough time with that. On the other hand if you gave readers a description of it or pointed out the best parts of it to watch then you will get more reaction from people here

I took notes, but notes don't carry delivery. It is a very watchable video and worth the time for it.

Spoiler
Rediscovering Jesus' truth in an age of mass-media marketability.
The author, from India, says that modern philosophy is repackaged Eastern
Mysticism, which in turn is secularism in religious terminology.
The goal of secularism is to give the world god, from a human seed.
It de-ifies humans with no need of God.
To begin, the laws of logic and reason must be understood, for there is no
change of idea, without knowing the mechanism that must be used to flip
the switch, from wrong thinking.
1) when we get get into a discussion, debate, or argument, we assume the
laws of logic, apply to reality. Statements of fact, correspond to reality.
You cannot deny the law of non-contradiction without proving it is true.
There are only a few laws of reality.
The logical flow of truth is presented by Ravi Zacharias is that there is
a) logically a first-cause and b) that Jesus Christ is the only logical one to fit that
logical necessity.
6:30 Hawking and Dawkins faux pas, and Freudian slips.
8:55 David Berlinski, an agnostic, responded to Richard Dawkins with "The Devil's Delusion"
that no secular atheist rationalization has given anything to humanity and is
woefully insufficient for man.
11:00 God is unique in His ability to understand and describe the human condition.
He knows us and accurately diagnoses our heart condition. Genesis 1-3 references.
"Sin redefined man as his/her own god, and broke us."
Certainty is gone, we are living with incredible uncertainty. Man is despairing hope,
it has been ripped from him/her. On a global scale, the BBC found that the
one thing that man feared, taking the place of poverty and starving, is now 'corruption.'
Man no longer knows what is good or where it is. Secular humanism has failed us,
David Berlinski, says, and the BBC reports.
We cannot self-reference our spiritual condition with any meaningful reality.
Hitler - "I want to raise a young generation devoid of a conscience, cruel, imperious, and relentless.
16:50 Do we want a generation devoid of a conscience? Secularization, can only give, and has only given
this kind of result.
Only the gospel gives forgiveness and provides hope against the hopelessness of man.
It is a desirable thing. It is the only religion and philosophy that provides conscience
and meaning for man. No other philosophy does.
20:53 the woman who had 5 shattered marriages given as an example of renewed conscience and
forgiveness.
When Oscar Wilde was dying, he asked for a priest. He wanted forgiveness and a restored conscience after living a life of
hedonism and self-indulgence.

23:00 First God provides an accurate diagnosis for our sin condition and corruption.
Second, He provides the cure that truly meets the need of that condition.
24:45 Until we receive His Son, we will continually be offering our sons and daughters
to the philosophy and hopelessness that we have embraced in place of Christianity.
The Cross is the remedy for humanity's malady.
26:00 Hope comes from Christ's resurrection from the dead. Matthew Paris, a militant atheist,
said his atheist views were put to complete shame when viewing Christian ministries in Malawi that
totally transformed the communities they existed beyond anything any secular humanist philanthropist was
able to do, shocking his atheist readership. Christianity is bringing a change to these areas that is real
and is good. And left to their own tribalism is no good either. Christianity smashes these problems.
Removing Christianity would leave Malawi to Nike, the witch doctors, and tyrants.
America's morality has been recognized by the world as the reason for her strength.
Without the transformation of the heart, there is no hope for mankind.

rougueone

Ravi Zacharias - Jesus

I did not watch the video. But I agree with your written text. Pride is " I am ". Being "ME". I before God and all things. All sin originates from PRIDE. When we are drawn to Jesus and realize that Jesus is Lord, we submit ourselves , our " I am ". To the real " I am". God our Father in Jesus.
It is no longer we who live, but He-Jesus who lives through us.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21"I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Gallations2: 20,21,22

We can only know this by submitting our self-pride, to Jesus.

Ironically Oswald Chambers current meditations is zeroed in on this topic currently.

====

http://utmost.org/classic/today/

If Jesus Christ is to regenerate me, what is the problem He is up against? I have a heredity I had no say in; I am not holy, nor likely to be; and if all Jesus Christ can do is to tell me I must be holy, His teaching plants despair. But if Jesus Christ is a Regenerator, One Who can put into me His own heredity of holiness, then I begin to see what He is driving at when He says that I have to be holy.

Redemption means that Jesus Christ can put into any man the hereditary disposition that was in Himself, and all the standards He gives are based on that disposition: His teaching is for the life He puts in. The moral transaction on my part is agreement with God’s verdict on sin in the Cross of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament teaching about regeneration is that when a man is struck by a sense of need, God will put the Holy Spirit into his spirit, and his personal spirit will be energised by the Spirit of the Son of God — “until Christ be formed in you.” The moral miracle of Redemption is that God can put into me a new disposition whereby I can live a totally new life. When I reach the frontier of need and know my limitations, Jesus says — “Blessed are you.” But I have to get there. God cannot put into me, a responsible moral being, the disposition that was in Jesus Christ unless I am conscious I need it.

Just as the disposition of sin entered into the human race by one man, so the Holy Spirit entered the human race by another Man; and Redemption means that I can be delivered from the heredity of sin and through Jesus Christ can receive an unsullied heredity, viz., the Holy Spirit.

Wisdom From Oswald Chambers

Am I getting nobler, better, more helpful, more humble, as I get older? Am I exhibiting the life that men take knowledge of as having been with Jesus, or am I getting more self-assertive, more deliberately determined to have my own way? It is a great thing to tell yourself the truth.
The Place of Help
===

Oct. 4, 2015:

Our little “I am” always sulks and pouts when God says do. Let your little “I am” be shriveled up in God’s wrath and indignation— “I AM WHO I AM…has sent me to you” (Exodus 3:14). He must dominate. Isn’t it piercing to realize that God not only knows where we live, but also knows the gutters into which we crawl! He will hunt us down as fast as a flash of lightning. No human being knows human beings as God does.

Wisdom From Oswald Chambers

Jesus Christ reveals, not an embarrassed God, not a confused God, not a God who stands apart from the problems, but One who stands in the thick of the whole thing with man. Disciples Indeed, 388 L