User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask the promoter

Dee Dee Warren
    Oh I thought you used the magic eight ball. My bad. If you see the thread he just started you might want to change your answer, or at least phone a friend.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to change my answer.
    "Servetus has just sent me a long volume of his ravings. If I consent he will come here, but I will not give my word for if he comes here, if my authority is worth anything, I will never permit him to depart alive ("Si venerit, modo valeat mea autoritas, vivum exire nunquam patiar").[3]

Dee Dee Warren
    I thought so. You hold him down, and I put on the training wheels on.

Post Modern Fundamentalist 1013's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what happens to those who've never heard

I would be happy to do a battle royal with anyone on the possibility of salvation of those outside of the reach of the Gospell.

I believe that salvation is attainable for those people.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other words, you dont believe that the Gospel is beyond the reach of any person...

I would disagree... I would say that the "gospel" (good news about Jesus - The Messiah) is not available to everyone, practically, but that doesnt mean that people can not hear about, or know that there is a creator God and trust themselves into His hands... According to Scripture that is enough to be saved.

Of course, it does pose problems for fundies/dispies/blah blah blah

and I wouldnt want to debate it.. considering "in principle" I agree... (but in specifics, no).

why did I type this?
    hmm
    I think I am going insane.
    Show me someone who is expressing in anger his views of God, and I will show you someone who is deeply afraid of losing control of God- Peter Enns

Post Modern Fundamentalist 1013's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I do a battle royal, I'll spell out what I mean by Gospel. If I don't, I'll make a thread on this in the exclusively christian forum, (actually, since it concerns the heathen, I'd put it there as well).

I have been aware that we essentially agreed on this.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which makes a change

and is kinda scary

and stuff
    Show me someone who is expressing in anger his views of God, and I will show you someone who is deeply afraid of losing control of God- Peter Enns

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Trinity

I am interested in a one-on-one debate regarding whether or not the Bible teaches the Trinity. I was once a Trinitarian, but now I am not. I was not persuaded to abandon my Trinitarian background by any "heretical" movement. I actually began to study apologetics and sought to defend the doctrine against "heresy." After a time, I became frustrated with the doctrine for several reasons. Since that time, I have written a book on the subject, and now I would like to discuss the matter would someone else. I would appriciate it if I was not harassed or called inappropriate names.
    Trust me, I would not have renounced a comfortable "orthodox" view for an uncomfortable "heretical" view if my objective studies had not led me to do so. I have examined the arguments for both sides and I have compared everything with Scripture. I am satisfied with my conclusion, but if I can be shown to be wrong, then I will willingly return to my former belief.
    I find the Scripture to teach that the Father is God Almighty only. Jesus is the Son of God, our Messiah. And the Holy Spirit is God's Spirit (His mind and power at work).
    If there is anyone out there willing to debate intelligently, I would appriciate that. Thank you.
    In grace, BJ Brown

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be up for a debate on the trinity, if no one else wants it. My view, which I believe is fully representative of the orthodox view, is that the ONE God eternally co-exists in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are fully God.

I will try to refrain from any name-calling, as well.
    No one ever just picked up the Bible, started reading, and then came to the conclusion that God was not doing signs and wonders anymore and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit had passed away. The doctrine of cessationism did not originate in a careful study of the Scriptures. The doctrine of cessationism originated in experience. -Jack Deere

By its denying of God's foreknowledge of future free creaturely choices and actions, open theism is vulnerable to the charge of commending as God one whom the true God declares is false and worthless. -Bruce Ware

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Trinity

Sounds great Gavin. How do we officially square off? (I'm new to these forums) Just let me know the when and how.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear BJ,

If you want to do an official battle royale concerning it, you can read the rules here. http://www.theologyonline.com/vbulle...&threadid=2629

In any case, it will need to be approved by Knight first. Probably it will be suggested that you engage in a little informal debate before you do an official one, although you seem to have thought through the issue pretty thoroughly already!

I must warn you that over the holidays I travel to my parents house and do not have access to a computer. The earliest I could begin a debate on this is around January 10.

Also, if you don't mind, could you please specify exactly what you believe about Jesus. Was he a created being?

And my other question is whether you accept this as the resolution of this debate: "Scripture teaches the triune nature of God."

By "Scripture teaches" I mean that AT LEAST it is deducible from Scriptural principles, if not explicitly taught by specific sayings of Scripture. I am assuming from your earlier post that you believe in SOLA SCRIPTURA, correct me if I am wrong.
    And by the "the triune nature of God" I simply mean the historical definition of the trinity. The one God co-eternally exists in three persons - Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

Can you confirm this?

Blessings.
    Last edited by Gavin; December 9th, 2002 at 06:26 PM.
    No one ever just picked up the Bible, started reading, and then came to the conclusion that God was not doing signs and wonders anymore and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit had passed away. The doctrine of cessationism did not originate in a careful study of the Scriptures. The doctrine of cessationism originated in experience. -Jack Deere

By its denying of God's foreknowledge of future free creaturely choices and actions, open theism is vulnerable to the charge of commending as God one whom the true God declares is false and worthless. -Bruce Ware

cirisme
    Are we finally gonna get another great BR?

This will be great!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I like to debate. I'm not sure just what topic I'd like to debate; mostly I'm a pretty irenic person. I think the gist of the matter is that I'd like my postin' pseudonym on a T-shirt one day.

Ah, dreams...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the gist of the matter is that I'd like my postin' pseudonym on a T-shirt one day.
    What else are BR's for?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Gavin

What else are BR's for?
    Why do you have that Sartre quote on your signiture?
    "Servetus has just sent me a long volume of his ravings. If I consent he will come here, but I will not give my word for if he comes here, if my authority is worth anything, I will never permit him to depart alive ("Si venerit, modo valeat mea autoritas, vivum exire nunquam patiar").[3]

Thread Information