Science for a pre-sin world

Greg Jennings

With your demonstration of logic here, I doubt you've ever conversed on the subject. Thus, you aren't qualified to create a conclusion that means anything.

Hilariously enough, I'm actually more qualified than many well known creationists. Not that I'm that qualified, but that's the point. Many creationist "experts" are anything but

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If that's true then why has it been consistently being accepted at increasing numbers in the scientific community over the past 100 years? Now it's to the point that it's almost unanimous among scientists that evolution is very real and observable (north of 99%).

So if science is making it appear more and more ridiculous every day, why don't the scientists think that?
For 2 good reasons. The cost of believing in common descent is very low because as an idea, common descent has little if any bearing on anything scientific. And then, the price of not believing in common descent is very high because one will lose their job for questioning the common descent dogma.

Now, you do have a good point in that common descentists have consensus. But since you'll have to admit that this is a highly controversial topic, you should put the weight of consensus on hold until you've studied both sides. Now, the best argument for creation is the bible itself, but I'll cut you some slack if you only want to look at the physical science of the matter. Get back to me when you've found the good points that the YEC position makes in that context.

Greg Jennings

my bachelors is in general chemistry, my masters is in an applied field of chemistry heavy on toxicological analysis - my thesis project concerned gc mass spec work that was cutting edge at the time (twenty years ago)

not sure why any discussions i've had in the politics forum should give you cause to doubt me :idunno:

and my group is due to meet soon to cobble together a paper for sociology, so i'll prolly be gone for a while

and i loved organic - iirc, we used streitweiser and heathcock
Ignore my comment above this one. You've provided enough here to convince me to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have the degrees you claim to have.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hilariously enough, I'm actually more qualified than many well known creationists. Not that I'm that qualified, but that's the point. Many creationist "experts" are anything but
No, your inability to think betrays what you apparently consider qualifies you.

Why don't you go back to the post I was responding to and admit where your logic went off the rails, then we can talk qualifications.

Jose Fly

I'll try. But I felt those sources adequately ended that side conversation

Of course they won't. Regardless though, you need to stick to your original topic. Believe me, I've seen countless threads like this where creationists are asked to give evidence, and they almost always end up turning into debates about evolution.

But then, since creationists here agree that creationism is a belief and not science, maybe the question is moot? :think:

Greg Jennings

No, your inability to think betrays what you apparently consider qualifies you.

Why don't you go back to the post I was responding to and admit where your logic went off the rails, then we can talk qualifications.

Why don't you tell me where my logic went off the rails? I'm not aware that it did

Greg Jennings

But then, since creationists here agree that creationism is a belief and not science, maybe the question is moot? :think:

I'd like to believe that the creationists here see the flaws and are so close to seeing the light and accepting evolution. But the fundamentalist mindset is a stubborn beast. I hold out little hope that they see what we do: that creationism is a belief lacking corroborating scientific evidence, and that evolutionary theory is a belief substantiated by so much evidence that it's become a scientific theory

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ken Ham, Bodie Hodge. That's literally just off the top of my head

Ken Ham has a Bachelors in Applied Science, used to teach and fronts an organization that produces laymen's material.

And from AIG:

Bodie [Hodge] attended Southern Illinois University at Carbondale and received a BS and MS in mechanical engineering. His specialty was a subset of mechanical engineering based in advanced materials processing, particularly starting powders.

He conducted research for his master’s degree through a grant from Lockheed Martin and developed a New Method of Production of Submicron Titanium Diboride. The new process was able to make titanium diboride cheaper, faster, and with higher quality. This technology is essential for some nanotechnologies.

Bodie published two peer-reviewed articles (with his advisor) on the subjects:

R. Koc, C. Meng, and D. B. Hodge,“New Method for Synthesis of Metal Carbides, Nitrides, and Carbonitrides,” Annual Progress Report Advanced Industrial Materials Program, 1998.

R. Koc and D. B. Hodge, “Production of TiB2 from a Precursor Containing Carbon Coated TiO2 and B4C,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, 1999.

During his years at SIUC, Bodie continued his personal study of biblical apologetics and began teaching this topic to a junior high Sunday school class. While at SIUC, he was the president of one of the few Christian student organizations, Christians Unlimited, and was also an officer in the student chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

You're not very good at "off the top off your head." :chuckle:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd like to believe that the creationists here see the flaws and are so close to seeing the light and accepting evolution. But the fundamentalist mindset is a stubborn beast. I hold out little hope that they see what we do: that creationism is a belief lacking corroborating scientific evidence, and that evolutionary theory is a belief substantiated by so much evidence that it's become a scientific theory

So your tactic is to ask a question, demand evidence and then run away when presented with it? :AMR: