Why is sex and sexual orientation so public?

PureX

That's the core of it. It's the attempt to impose a religious belief on a secular society. For those who don't see homosexuality as a sin (because their particular religious beliefs don't see it as a sin or because they don't believe in the idea of religious sin), it's a non-issue, and hopefully the day will come when conversations like these are unnecessary.
I am not religious, and I strongly believe in the value of maintaining equal rights for all. Yet because I am not homosexual, I become uncomfortable around displays of homosexual affection. But I understand that this is my own 'issue' to the degree that it is an issue, for me. And it's not the homosexual's fault, nor their responsibility to closet themselves to make me feel more comfortable with them.

When Bybee brought up the idea of social courtesy, while someone else had brought up the accusation of self-righteousness, I realized how these two ideas become intertwined. I didn't mean to accuse Bybee, specifically, because most heterosexuals are likely somewhat uncomfortable with displays of homosexual affection. But that doesn't justify expecting homosexuals to hide their feelings from us just because we're uncomfortable with them. And it certainly does not justify those who proclaim their homophobia as "righteousness" just because they dress it up with religion.

These are things that go on here on TOL all the time, and in general society, too. So I really felt it was important for us all to see it more clearly and understand it better. Including myself. Unless "courtesy" goes both ways, and it reflects a tolerance for things we may not be personally comfortable with, it just becomes an unfair expectation of others.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am not religious, and I strongly believe in the value of maintaining equal rights for all. Yet because I am not homosexual, I become uncomfortable around displays of homosexual affection.
As a member of old Southern culture I'm uncomfortable with most public displays of romantic affection. Beyond a tame hug or the introductory nonsense I'd rather not see it. Feels a bit like someone has brought me into a privacy without consent.

PureX

I know this question wasn't for me but I had a thought progression. For me it's not the sin that disturbs me. People sin and will sin in infinite ways, it's mostly none of my business unless my rights are violated.

What bothers me is the disgust factor; gay sex is disgusting period. Top that off with the LBGTQF agendas and making same sex marriages legal and it's too much. After the disgust and absurdity of gay love, then we can also say it is an abomination and a sin in God's eyes (I know God is first but many gays are Godless heathens)

God forgives and still loves, but sin is sin. I don't have to accept it as standard practice, and I don't have to tolerate it. Like ACW says we need to organize in our communities and vote and be heard (acw has good plans), in the meantime I am "ok" as long as I don't have it shoved in my face everywhere I turn. I don't need to see and hear about it as a daily news feed.
I think we should deal with our own emotions (like disgust), ourselves, and stop blaming them of other people and what they do with each other. After all, you said yourself that it's really none of your business. So you have no reason to be feeling anything about it. And the fact that you do is your own fault, and is your own problem to either wallow in, or correct.

Secondly, I think that when you focus on what you think God likes or dislikes in others, you are in effect "playing God". Which is not something ANY human has any business even trying to do. Because we are clearly not equipped for it, and because, throughout history, every time we try it we become insane, evil monsters. Please let God decide how He feels about the lives and behaviors of others, and let's just mind our own spiritual welfare. We will all be better off that way, I am certain. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well then don't look. :eek:
I wouldn't, but it's like greatness, sometimes you have it thrust in front of you. :shocked: Except it's not so great and often looks like an impromptu oral surgery coupled with the sort of groping you usually have to go to an airport to experience (either). :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Where are you guys finding all this too hot to stand action? Maybe we New Englanders are uptight, or something.:AMR:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Where are you guys finding all this too hot to stand action? Maybe we New Englanders are uptight, or something.:AMR:

:chuckle: I spend a lot of time on a college campus in California, surrounded by a lot of happy and affectionate people.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They have rich fantasy lives. Coworkers having sex in front of them, Obama enacting Sharia law, FEMA death camps and talking donkeys.

Black helicopters whisking away their guns, homos under every bed, death panels for grandma, and people having sex in their back yard.

I mean they're already concerned about every teenager in America having sex. Did these people not go to an actual high school?:chuckle:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Shut up, ok loser. We all know you can't think.

You hop around from one thread to another trying so hard to get someone to pay attention to you, but you're just a troll and you'll always be a troll. :troll:

oh bananahead :(

so angry

so insignificant

what a shame you turned out to be this angry and inconsequential :(

better grab a spoon and drown your sorrows in a tub of Häagen-Dazs