ARCHIVE: Bob Enyart has already lost the debate ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by LightSon
So you do believe that you're a sinner and need Jesus. It's just that you needed to have your atheistic presuppositions dismantled first, before the truth could shine in. Is that it?

Good stuff Knight! Thanks for sharing.
I am just saying different people are affected in different ways.

I thought my worldview was water-tight - so to speak. ;)

Bob Enyart started poking holes in it and others followed.... soon the water was pouring in and I couldn't stop it anymore.

After bailing water with a spoon for a time I decided to drink, and now I no longer thirst. :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: The rest is history ...

Re: The rest is history ...

Originally posted by Hilston
Hi Lightson,

I'd like to get your opinion of the following hypothetical testimony. What would be your reaction to this:

Thanks,
Jim
Jim are you insinuating it would be bad if someone came to the Lord through a questionable ministry?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Conversion, good. False doctrine, bad.

Conversion, good. False doctrine, bad.

Hi Knight,

You write:
Jim are you insinuating it would be bad if someone came to the Lord through a questionable ministry?
Have a look at my posts to 1way, Jeremiah, Devo and my recent post to Bob; you will find the answer to that question. I myself came to Christ after being exposed to the scriptures by Mormons. It is never bad for someone to come to Christ. However, my conversion doesn't justify or validate Mormonism. Neither do the countless conversions that result from (and despite) the evil and demonic "ministries" of Benny Hinn, Kenneth Pagan, Kenneth Copeland, Robert Tilton and Bob Larson justify those false teachings.

Jim

DEVO

Documenting mans devolution
Wow.... Jim reading your response just makes me scratch my head and say... what is the big contention?

I really don't how your position is much different than Bob's or most other apologists to be honest.

And I still didn't see any argument from you that explains why the evidentialist is answering a fool with his folly. After all, the evidentialist (in this case) is showing the fool that his worldview is bankrupt.

Your paragraph that starts... "Not at all. The Lord expected us,...." doesn't make your case any more than it would make the case for the evidentialist, for all of those things are true (we are to preach the gospel etc.) but that certainly doesn't demonstrate any limitations on how different people should be dealt with.

Telling an atheist that matter cannot create itself or that living cells do not "pop" into existence is exposing the folly of the atheist NOT encouraging it. You still haven't made that connection yet.

Please demonstrate that debunking false beliefs equals answering a fool according to his folly.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Conversion, good. False doctrine, bad.

Re: Conversion, good. False doctrine, bad.

Hi Knight,

You write:Have a look at my posts to 1way, Jeremiah, Devo and my recent post to Bob; you will find the answer to that question. I myself came to Christ after being exposed to the scriptures by Mormons. It is never bad for someone to come to Christ. However, my conversion doesn't justify or validate Mormonism. Neither do the countless conversions that result from (and despite) the evil and demonic "ministries" of Benny Hinn, Kenneth Pagan, Kenneth Copeland, Robert Tilton and Bob Larson justify those false teachings.

Jim
I already knew your answer to this question which is why I was confused that you would attempt to use this as a point.

I was asked a question about how I came to the Lord by Jerry Shugart, you mocked my answer and thats OK you have proven yourself to be an odd, petty fellow who seems to feed on creating entire landscapes from small molehills.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I know you are, but what am I?

I know you are, but what am I?

Originally posted by Knight
I already knew your answer to this question which is why I was confused that you would attempt to use this as a point.
I merely responded to the logical fallacy you insinuated by saying, "Thank God that those around me didn't believe what you are saying in your post!" It is you, Knight, who are being petty, especially given your espoused view of the small differences in apologetic strategy. On my view, it makes perfect sense that I would make sure I separate methodology from outcome. On your view, what is the basis for your complaint? It's hypocritical.

Knight writes:
I was asked a question about how I came to the Lord by Jerry Shugart, you mocked my answer and thats OK you have proven yourself to be an odd, petty fellow who seems to feed on creating entire landscapes from small molehills.
I didn't mock your answer; I gave another, less subtle example to see if we could draw out your point more clearly. What is your reaction to the modified scenario I presented? Do you thank God for and support the efforts of faith-healers and Mormons because people get saved through contact with them?

Jim

Hilston

Hall of Fame
The Big Contention ...

The Big Contention ...

Hi Devo,

You write:
Wow.... Jim reading your response just makes me scratch my head and say... what is the big contention?
The contention is about apologetic method and distinguishing the biblical from the unbiblical methods. Please read my first post on this thread.

Devo writes:
I really don't how your position is much different than Bob's or most other apologists to be honest.
Then you're not reading very carefully. Based on what I've written, why is it unbiblical to persuade the atheist on the basis of physical evidence? If you can't answer that question, then I urge you to re-read what I've written and pay attention to the points about the underlying presuppositions and competing worldviews.

Devo writes:
And I still didn't see any argument from you that explains why the evidentialist is answering a fool with his folly. After all, the evidentialist (in this case) is showing the fool that his worldview is bankrupt.
The evidentialist is unable to do that. The evidentialist assumes that the use of logic and reason is a neutral endeavor, i.e., that both the theist and the atheist are justified in their application of the laws of logic, induction, the scientific method, mathematics, etc. On the presumption of neutrality, the evidentialist brings evidence to the table, as if the atheist hasn't already been shown sufficient proof of God's existence and attributes, and asks the atheist to evaluate the evidence, as if the atheist has an epistemological leg to stand on with respect to the verity of logic and reason in their worldview.

Devo writes:
Your paragraph that starts... "Not at all. The Lord expected us,...." doesn't make your case any more than it would make the case for the evidentialist, for all of those things are true (we are to preach the gospel etc.) ...
Is that what Bob is doing? Preaching the Gospel? According to Jeremiah, Bob is deliberately and properly avoiding that.

Devo writes:
... but that certainly doesn't demonstrate any limitations on how different people should be dealt with.
The limitations (i.e. prescriptions) regarding apologetic method are demonstrated throughout my posts, with ample citation and exegetical comment. If you feel they are inadequate, raise your objections and show me the holes in my reasoning.

Devo writes:
Telling an atheist that matter cannot create itself or that living cells do not "pop" into existence is exposing the folly of the atheist NOT encouraging it.
The atheist already knows this, and rejects it in favor of his God-hating worldview. You can state it all you want and he will dismiss it as wishful thinking and a fairy tale, and come away wiser in his own conceit, generally speaking. Sure, on occasion someone will come to Christ on the basis of a bad argument, but that doesn't justify the violation of biblical principles of argumentation.

Devo writes:
You still haven't made that connection yet.
I assure you that I've made it. Others see it clearly. You may have not yet grasped. As I've mentioned before: the biblical apologetic is difficult, but not because it cannot be grasped or understood, but rather because of what it requires you to give up and to repudiate.

Devo writes:
Please demonstrate that debunking false beliefs equals answering a fool according to his folly.
That's the point. The evidentialist does not debunk false beliefs; he debunks false conclusions, leaving the false belief system intact. By trying to debunk false conclusions the evidentialist inadvertently strengthens the false beliefs of the atheist. The false belief system must be attacked, not their false conclusions.

For more details and more orderly treatments of this subject, please see the following links:
http://www.tgfonline.org/TGF/tgfconf/1999/TGF991.htm
http://www.tgfonline.org/TGF/bootcamp/pb13apol.htm

Jim

Last edited:

LightSon

I'd like to get your opinion of the following hypothetical testimony. What would be your reaction to this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"As a Christian bashing atheist I used to watch the Benny Hinn television show because I liked his accent. On two consecutive nights Benny battled two different demons of infirmity. Benny cast out the two demons by laying his hands on these two women who had pain in their legs and back. This made me feel very uncomfortable as I had never seen anyone confront illness and battle demons the way Benny did. I was used to the typical Christian approach of just praying for pain and sickness to go away. Then ... I watched Bob Larson's video "Exorcism: Casting Demons Out Of Those Possessed." At the end of the tape Bob Larson invites folks to pray with him, I did, the rest is history! Praise the Lord!"
Dear Jim,
Thanks for asking.
Your attempt to create a correlation between Pastor Bob and Benny Hinn is noted. I think the correlation works just fine, provided Bob and Benny’s heresy is commensurate. The question is, are they?

I won’t challenge you on Mr. Hinn’s credibility, but for the sake of the argument at hand, let’s look at your case with respect to Pastor Bob.

Please correct me if I misstate your position. You seem to be arguing that Atheists are fools and liars in that they deny God’s existence whilst they know in their heart He does in fact exist. We observe this principle to be rooted in Romans 1 circa verse 21.
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Further you argue based upon Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.”

I’ve done a great deal of thinking about this thread and your position, and before I continue, let me thank you for your part. You are a keen thinker and have good apologetic skills.

As a prelude to my main 2 points, let’s consider a sample observation from DEVO.
I really don't [understand] how your position is much different than Bob's or most other apologists to be honest.

Jim, for all your explaining of this suppositional principle and its inappropriate (unbiblical) counter approach, many on this list are just not getting it. I do NOT offer this observation as an argument that you are wrong, but if I had a series of God-fearing Biblicists cautioning me, I would at least want to pray about and reconsider my position. Anyway, that was an aside.

POINT 1:
If the atheist knows God exists and is just feigning a pretense, then they would rightly be deemed liars. This seems to be your invariable position. You offer Romans which says, “Because that, when they knew God…”. This you insist blows the whistle on the atheist’s heart and motive.

Two observations:
First, a number of atheists have sworn to you that they honestly do not believe God exists. Some have tried to convey how infuriating it is to have someone call them a liar on a Biblical basis. Your insistence of their false pretense is only as appropriate as your understanding of scripture.

Second (and as a corollary), let us look at the Romans’ passage more closely and your understanding of it. The statement says, “when they knew God” certain things happened. “knew” is carried by the Greek aorist tense, and in most cases can be rendered in the past tense. The atheist “knew” God at one point, but do they know Him now? The latter part of the verse gives us a clue when it states that “their foolish heart was darkened.”
As a spirit indwelt believer, I have to pray that the Lord would search my heart,
as so many times I am self-deceived. “The heart is deceitful above all things, and
desperately wicked: who can know it? If I can be deceived by my heart as a Christian, how much more so could an unbeliever’s heart be so dark that they truly believe they do not know God. In other words, they are not lying per se; they are just mistaken. They are deceived and mistaken about what is in their heart. Scripture seems to allow for this.

POINT 2:
You are making much of the passage in Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.” In fact, your whole case seems to be anchored in this verse.

You take this verse to be a command, and those who answer “according to [the fool’s] folly” (i.e. the presumptive lie of not-God) you deem to be using unbiblical methods.

Again I have 2 two observations:
First, While I am a Biblicist and believe that “all scripture is…profitable for doctrine”, I understand that not all scriptures where intended to be a formal basis for doctrine. In other words, I don’t think God intended that the book of Proverbs should be the sole reference for generating doctrine. Why? Because they are “proverbs”. Proverbs are generalizations about life and Godly wisdom. I don’t think you can make that single (proverbial) verse stand as a command.

If that is what you insist on doing, then all of proverbs would be doctrine-ready, eg. Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Is this an axiom? No. It is a general principle.

Second, and to continue my support of the first observation, many good theologians see these 2 verses in a different light. In fact there is question as to this verse’s application as juxtaposed to its successor. Prov 26:5 “Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit”. According to your rule, this would be a command to do the opposite of what you are arguing.

Now I know you have a rebuttal for this observation. My larger point is that not all good men agree with you on how to best understand Prov 26: 4,5.

I looked up Matthew Henry’s offering on this passage, and was surprised that it resonated with what I have been thinking all along. Here’s Henry’s view of Prov 26: 4,5, which I find to be wise and wonderful:

See here the noble security of the scripture-style, which seems to contradict itself, but really does not. Wise men have need to be directed how to deal with fools; and they have never more need of wisdom than in dealing with such, to know when to keep silence and when to speak, for there may be a time for both. 1. In some cases a wise man will not set his wit to that of a fool so far as to answer him according to his folly "If he boast of himself, do not answer him by boasting of thyself. If he rail and talk passionately, do not thou rail and talk passionately too. If he tell one great lie, do not thou tell another to match it. If he calumniate thy friends, do not thou calumniate his. If he banter, do not answer him in his own language, lest thou be like him, even thou, who knowest better things, who hast more sense, and hast been better taught.’’ 2. Yet, in other cases, a wise man will use his wisdom for the conviction of a fool, when, by taking notice of what he says, there may be hopes of doing good, or at least preventing further, mischief, either to himself or others. "If thou have reason to think that thy silence will be deemed an evidence of the weakness of thy cause, or of thy own weakness, in such a case answer him, and let it be an answer ad hominem—to the man, beat him at his own weapons, and that will be an answer ad rem—to the point, or as good as one. If he offer any thing that looks like an argument, an answer that, and suit thy answer to his case. If he think, because thou dost not answer him, that what he says is unanswerable, then give him an answer, lest he be wise in his own conceit and boast of a victory.’’ For (Lu. 7:35) Wisdom’s children must justify her.

In short, God may lead us to use any number of tools when combating fools or the unsaved. Most any tool might be effective in showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview. All tools are used in support of presenting the gospel, but as in Knights case, the false worldview must be dismantled. Your efforts to draw the line so tightly between suppositional and evidential approaches, if based solely on Prov 26:4, is overreaching in my opinion.

I see that you’ve just responded to DEVO. You’ve built a house of cards all based on this one Proverb. If the Matthew Henry approach is valid, then your conclusions are suspect, i.e. the house of cards falls down. To check our work, let’s look at one conclusion you made to DEVO and see if it stands up to Biblical scrutiny.

Based on what I've written, why is it unbiblical to persuade the atheist on the basis of physical evidence?
Your conclusion is that persuasion based on physical evidence is unbiblical. As I read the following scripture, I judge your conclusion to be wrong:
Rom. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Clearly “the things that are made” are physical evidence and they are arguing for God’s existence.
Also Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Again, nature is making an argument based on physical evidence. If we follow the scriptural pattern, we should be okay.

This supports my theory that your position is wrong. If your position can yield a demonstrably wrong conclusion, then either your premise or logic is flawed.

Please consider moderating your stance. God bless you Jim

Last edited:

heusdens

Clearly “the things that are made” are physical evidence and they are arguing for God’s existence.

Again, nature is making an argument based on physical evidence. If we follow the scriptural pattern, we should be okay.

ALL physical evidence of all known phenomena can only lead to one thing: the existence of matter which is indestructable and infinite. However, matter is not something personal to us. In fact we do not evern know matter exists in first instance, we only know of the 'products' of matter, which is reflected in our brain through our senses.

Jerry Shugart

Most any tool might be effective in showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview. All tools are used in support of presenting the gospel, but as in Knights case, the false worldview must be dismantled.
LightSon,

According to what you say I can only come to the conclusion that you believe that the "gospel" itself is inadequate to reach those who deny the existence of God.

From what I can understand in what you are saying it is first necessary to use the "wisdom of the world" to dismantle their false worldview.And then and only then will they even consider the gospel.

But the Scriptures say that "the world by wisdom knew not God"(1Cor.1:21).

In Knight's case,one must make the assumption that he would never have come to the knowledge of the truth unless he first heard Bob's arguments.But who would dare assert that even if Knight had never heard Bob that at some point in time he would have heard the gospel that comes in the power of the Holy Spirit and believed that gospel?

"And I,brethren,when I came into you,came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom,declaring unto you the testimony of God.For I determined not to know anything among you,except Jesus Christ,and Him crucified"(1Cor.2:1,2).

In His grace,--Jerry

Hilston

Hall of Fame
How will they hear? ...

How will they hear? ...

Hi LightSon,

First, let me thank you for your post. Clearly you gave it much thought and time, and for that I'm much appreciative. However, I am frustrated that after all you've read and thought, you still seem to miss the point. I know it took me a long time to understand the differences that I'm trying to point out, so I want to be patient. What puzzles me a bit are the statements that are simply false, or have already been thoroughly answered, or are irrelevant.

I commend you for the seeing the point of my Benny Hinn illustration. That was a big step in itself, and I am pleased that you boiled it down appropriately to this:
I think the correlation works just fine, provided Bob and Benny’s heresy is commensurate. The question is, are they?

LightSon writes:
You seem to be arguing that Atheists are fools and liars in that they deny God’s existence whilst they know in their heart He does in fact exist. We observe this principle to be rooted in Romans 1 circa verse 21.
That is indeed a point of complaint, but not the only one. The corollary points, which cohere specifically with the first point, are those of false atheistic reasoning, the question-begging nature of the atheist's claims, and the error of allowing the atheist to wield the tools of reason as if they were neutral with respect to truth.

LightSon writes:
Further you argue based upon Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.”
Not only this verse, but the one preceding, the one following, and every apologetic encounter we find in Scripture.

LightSon writes:
Jim, for all your explaining of this suppositional principle and its inappropriate (unbiblical) counter approach, many on this list are just not getting it.
It has been, and continues to be my experience, and that of other apologists that try to teach this approach, that the false methods of argumentation are difficult for people to jettison. I readily admit that I often find myself having to step back and say, "Wait a second -- I shouldn't be arguing this way." Usually it is a temptation of the flesh. Rather than argue biblically (which is more difficult and requires sharp biblical clarity in one's thinking), it's easy to get drawn into the secular methods of fallacious reasoning. For example, when an atheist points out the multifarious evils in the history of Christianity as proof of God's nonexistence, the flesh wants to defend the Christians he is accusing, or to explain away those evils, because the flesh hates that kind of embarrassment and tries to argue in the manner of the critic to disprove it. We see children argue like this, albeit in a much less complex or sophisticated manner: "Yes it is." "No, it's not." "YES, it IS!" "NO, it's NOT!" and so forth. It is in our sin nature to argue this way, and we readily slip into it. However, the way to answer the atheist's charge against the evils of historic Christianity is not to counter with examples of evil atheists or to try to defend the reputation of evil "christians," but rather to demonstrate the fallacious reasoning behind the accusation, to dismantle the question-begging standard by which an atheist presumes to assess good vs. evil on his worldview. Do you see the difference?

LightSon writes:
I do NOT offer this observation as an argument that you are wrong, but if I had a series of God-fearing Biblicists cautioning me, I would at least want to pray about and reconsider my position. Anyway, that was an aside.
But an important one. I assure you that I do not take your caution lightly. It is something that I must continually ask myself and re-assess, "Could all these people be wrong? Perhaps I am the one who needs to change my position?" Not only on this topic, but on other theological points where I disagree with mainstream evangelical doctrine (there's an example below). So I sincerely appreciate your exhortation, and I take it sincerely to heart.

LightSon writes:
POINT 1:
If the atheist knows God exists and is just feigning a pretense, then they would rightly be deemed liars. This seems to be your invariable position. You offer Romans which says, “Because that, when they knew God…”. This you insist blows the whistle on the atheist’s heart and motive.
Not just that verse. The entire passage. Also throughout the scriptures that say the fool has said in his heart there is no God. Why is he a fool for saying that? Especially if he is merely deceived? If I truly believe the Pirates won against the Brewers because I unwittingly saw a taped news report of an earlier game, thinking it was actually the current live broadcast, when in actuality they lost, am I a fool for asserting that the Pirates won? Do I have a defense for my false belief? Of course. The atheist doesn't have this. What would be the difference?

LightSon writes:
Two observations:
First, a number of atheists have sworn to you that they honestly do not believe God exists.
Well, given the fact that they are liars, should their oaths have any bearing on my opinion of the true state of their thinking, especially given the explicit biblical counter-claim to these oaths?

LightSon writes:
Some have tried to convey how infuriating it is to have someone call them a liar on a Biblical basis. Your insistence of their false pretense is only as appropriate as your understanding of scripture.
If you examine my interactions with atheists, I don't start off, or make it a primary point of argument, to call them liars. But rather it is something that I keep in my mind and am aware of as I debate them. The only reason it has come up here (with the atheists) is that they, too, are reading discussions between biblicists openly considering the claim.

LightSon writes:
Second (and as a corollary), let us look at the Romans’ passage more closely and your understanding of it. The statement says, “when they knew God” certain things happened. “knew” is carried by the Greek aorist tense, and in most cases can be rendered in the past tense.
I dealt with this thoroughly in my latest post to Bob Enyart. Please refer to it and let me know if/where you disagree with my handling the text (the entire passage).

LightSon writes:
The atheist “knew” God at one point, but do they know Him now? The latter part of the verse gives us a clue when it states that “their foolish heart was darkened.”
It also says they became empty in their reasoning. Does that mean they were no longer able to reason? Of course not. It means that their reasoning becomes futile, because without the God they deny, reasoning, the laws of logic, mathematics, science, etc. do not make sense. They become inane and pointless, and their minds (hearts) become darkened.

LightSon writes:
As a spirit indwelt believer, I have to pray that the Lord would search my heart, as so many times I am self-deceived.
Does the fact we are deceived provide a defense? If not, then how so? "But I was tricked (deceived)!" is an acceptable defense when it is true, right? Does it apply here? Or is the deception willful? And rooted in our sinful natures? Eve got a pass. Adam did not. Adam was an evidentialist, by the way. He was right there watching the whole event ("... then Eve turned to her husband"). Adam was willing to say, "If someone can provide evidence that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil will not adversely affect me, then I will disbelieve God's Word." Satan proved it through deceiving Eve. Eve was the evidence. Adam knew better. He was a fool.

LightSon writes:
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? If I can be deceived by my heart as a Christian, how much more so could an unbeliever’s heart be so dark that they truly believe they do not know God. In other words, they are not lying per se; they are just mistaken.
I call this the George Costanza fallacy. Some may get that, some may not, but here it is in a nutshell. George believes you're not really lying if you can convince yourself to believe the lie you want to tell. This is exactly what the atheists are doing. But as I said, I don't use that as a point of argument until they betray it or expose it, but I keep it in my mind and am ever aware of it as I debate them.

LightSon writes:
They are deceived and mistaken about what is in their heart. Scripture seems to allow for this.
Those scriptures must not be merely taken at face value. The kinds of questions I asked above need to be considered: What is the nature of their deception? Is it willful? Or are they merely victims?

LightSon writes:
POINT 2:
You are making much of the passage in Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.” In fact, your whole case seems to be anchored in this verse. You take this verse to be a command, and those who answer “according to [the fool’s] folly” (i.e. the presumptive lie of not-God) you deem to be using unbiblical methods.
As I said above, the entire context, the full context of Romans 1, Psalm 19, Romans 10, Acts 17, and every apologetic encounter in scripture teach the principles I am trying to convey. Further, the scripture in the aforementioned passages, either by explicit statement or implicit example, condemn the kind of argumentation that I've been opposing.

LightSon writes:
Again I have 2 two observations:
First, While I am a Biblicist and believe that “all scripture is…profitable for doctrine”, I understand that not all scriptures where intended to be a formal basis for doctrine. In other words, I don’t think God intended that the book of Proverbs should be the sole reference for generating doctrine. Why? Because they are “proverbs”. Proverbs are generalizations about life and Godly wisdom. I don’t think you can make that single (proverbial) verse stand as a command.
If you want, we can leave out that verse entirely. It's not necessary to my argument. By the way, did Paul make an exception when he told Timothy that all scripture (except proverbial ones that are only generally true?) was profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness?

LightSon writes:
If that is what you insist on doing, then all of proverbs would be doctrine-ready, eg. Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Is this an axiom? No. It is a general principle.
Does that mean I should not base my training of my children on that verse? Because that's hard work and I could make life a little easier by not being so concerned about this. Obviously, I'm being facetious, but I'm no less serious about the point. How would you answer my question?

LightSon writes:
Second, and to continue my support of the first observation, many good theologians see these 2 verses in a different light.
Of course. That is irrelevant. The Jews of Paul's day, to whom belonged the scriptures and the covenants and the promises and the ceremonies, also saw verses in a "different light". See Romans 10 discussion below.

LightSon writes:
In fact there is question as to this verse’s application as juxtaposed to its successor. Prov 26:5 “Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit”. According to your rule, this would be a command to do the opposite of what you are arguing.
This statement frustrates me, LightSon, because it appears that you've either forgotten or did not read my first post. Please take a moment to read it. These verses work together. I do not take them in isolation.

LightSon writes:
My larger point is that not all good men agree with you on how to best understand Prov 26:4,5.
It's irrelevant. Do you believe we can know with certainty what God was conveying and how He wants us to apply what Solomon's wrote to his son?

LightSon writes:
Matthew Henry: See here the noble security of the scripture-style, which seems to contradict itself, but really does not. Wise men have need to be directed how to deal with fools; and they have never more need of wisdom than in dealing with such, to know when to keep silence and when to speak, for there may be a time for both.
Here, MH violates the very words of both the immediate text and the larger context. It does not say or suggest keeping silent. Solomon is conveying his wisdom to his son, who presumable will one day rule over and adjudicate the matters of Israel and her people, and will need his fathers wisdom. Clearly, Solomon has had to deal with his share of fools, and he instructs his son on how to handle them.There is a time and place for keeping silent, but it is not taught here (unless you infer it in the case of beating the fool's backside with a rod taught in verse 3). Both verses are talking about providing an answer (not silence), the main point being the manner in which one answers. When one answers a fool according to his folly it must be done biblically. And when one answers a fool NOT according to his folly, it must also be done biblically. In either case, an answer is given, one for the intent of showing our dissimilarity to the fool (not being like him in his reasoning) and the other for the intent of exposing his folly (lest he be wise in his own conceit). Would you disagree with any of that?

LightSon writes:
In short, God may lead us to use any number of tools when combating fools or the unsaved.
I agree, but God will not lead you to use the tools unbiblically, as in the case of those who twist and pervert the gospel to their own ends. They use the scripture, which I typically encourage, but they use it deceitfully, which I (and the Bible) condemn.

LightSon writes:
Most any tool might be effective in showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview.
For example?

LightSon writes:
All tools are used in support of presenting the gospel, ...
Would you agree that there are ways to use tools unbiblically?

LightSon writes:
... but as in Knights case, the false worldview must be dismantled.
You used "but," a contrasting conjunction. How does "showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview" differ from the atheist having his "false worldview ... dismantled"?

LightSon writes:
Your efforts to draw the line so tightly between suppositional and evidential approaches, if based solely on Prov 26:4, is overreaching in my opinion.
If that were my sole basis, I might join you in that opinion. The verse is not necessary to make my case.

LightSon writes:
I see that you’ve just responded to DEVO. You’ve built a house of cards all based on this one Proverb.
I really urge you to reconsider that remark. If I were to cut and paste all of the other passages, examples, inferences, and direct exhortations from scripture that I've cited, your statement would itself be exposed as a house of cards.

LightSon writes:
If the Matthew Henry approach is valid, then your conclusions are suspect, i.e. the house of cards falls down. To check our work, let’s look at one conclusion you made to DEVO and see if it stands up to Biblical scrutiny.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on what I've written, why is it unbiblical to persuade the atheist on the basis of physical evidence?
Your conclusion is that persuasion based on physical evidence is unbiblical.
Are you deliberately misstating my position? People are persuaded by any number of things, even false arguments. The fact of them being persuaded is not itself unbiblical. It is unbiblical for the believer to persuade the atheist based on physical evidence. Do you know why I make this statement? It's quite fundamental to my argument, and it will be a good test as to whether or not you, or Devo, even understand my contention. And if you don't fully understand my argument, it seems to me that you should be asking questions instead of lobbing premature judgments.

LightSon writes:
As I read the following scripture, I judge your conclusion to be wrong:

quote:
Rom. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Are clearly seen. Are understood. Are without a reasoned defense. These are statements of fact about the atheist. So now what? You say, "Hey, I know you've clearly seen the evidence, and I know you already understand, and I know that you understand God's eternal power and nature, and you have a detailed knowledge of God's judgment against you (v. 32) -- the Bible says so -- but just in case that isn't enough, here is some additional evidence to persuade you." Do you see anything wrong with that rationale?

LightSon writes:
Also Psalm 19:1

quote:
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
The scriptural pattern is that these things are sufficiently known by the atheist. The creation declares to the atheist the glory of God and his handiwork. The atheist has no reasoned defense against this. God himself, through his creation, has sufficiently declared it. Consider Paul's understanding of Ps. 19 as it is revealed in his rebuke of the Jewish gainsayers in Romans 10:14-18. Sometimes I avoid this passage because it is often the pet passage of evangelists and missionaries. Unfortunately, it is widely misunderstood and misapplied. In the context, Paul is answering the gainsaying Jews who are asserting their paramount importance to the spread of the knowledge of God, i.e., they are claiming that they are needed to persuade unbelieving people of God's truth, and that without the Jews, the truth will not be spread. Paul says they're wrong. The gainsayer says, (paraphrasing to give the sense of the passage) "You can't say anything against our role as the chosen people of God, because how shall the unbeliever call upon God if they haven't believed on Him? How then shall they believe in Him if they've never heard of Him? How then shall they hear of Him without us Jews to preach to them? And how shall we preach if we Jews are not sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!' But the world has not all obeyed the gospel, that is why you need us Jews, proven by the fact that even Isaiah says, 'Lord, who hath believed our report?' So then, the atheists might believe if they hear, and they can hear by our preaching the knowledge of God."

Then Paul says they're wrong (again, paraphrasing to give the sense of the passage): "But I say, have they not already heard? YES! They have already heard, in fact, as the Psalmist says, the declaration has gone into all the earth, unto the ends of the world (the context being, the heavens and firmament sufficiently declaring the glory and handiwork of God)."

Now I realize the huge controversy this may rouse, but I think it is necessary to demonstrate how Paul understood and applied Ps. 19. The commonly assumed interpretation makes Paul's question (immediately above) meaningless. Why send a preacher if they've already heard, according to Ps 19?

LightSon writes:
This supports my theory that your position is wrong.
You apparently misunderstand the verses and their intent. They do not support your theory. In fact, they undermine your theory. Unless I am misunderstanding your point. Please clarify if necessary.

LightSon writes:
If your position can yield a demonstrably wrong conclusion, then either your premise or logic is flawed.
What wrong conclusion has my position demonstrated?

LightSon writes:
Please consider moderating your stance.
Please give me a better reason to do so. Thanks for taking the time to write. I hope we are making progress. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

Blessings to you,
Jim

LightSon

All roads lead to Christ

All roads lead to Christ

Hi Jerry,
Let’s work backwards.
"And I,brethren,when I came into you,came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom,declaring unto you the testimony of God.For I determined not to know anything among you,except Jesus Christ,and Him crucified"(1Cor.2:1,2).
This verse has done its work on me many times. I surrender to God with respect to this verse. Nevertheless, in application there are some questions which must be addressed. For example, did Paul in fact limit his pagan addresses to “Jesus Christ, and Him crucified” ?

Paul talked about all sorts of things which were outside the specific boundaries of Christ crucified. I assume that Paul was not being inconsistent in talking about other things. Rather, my sense is that the resolution is that whatever Paul talked about, be it “the unknown God”, or his being shipwrecked, or his being bound was all with the fundamental mindset of “[determining] not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified”

In short, I think the verse goes to motive. What is our motive in engaging with the atheist? Is it to dismantle his worldview, or is it to lift up Christ? If the former, then our motive is wrong. If the latter, then the former becomes a means to an end. E.g. If I approach my neighbor and chat about the weather, I have misplaced motives, unless I am chatting for the glory of God and with the long-term goal of seeing him come to Christ.

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart
In Knight's case,one must make the assumption that he would never have come to the knowledge of the truth unless he first heard Bob's arguments. But who would dare assert that even if Knight had never heard Bob that at some point in time he would have heard the gospel that comes in the power of the Holy Spirit and believed that gospel?
I would not assert that Knight could not have come to God another way, for certainly he could have. But even if you hold (as Jim H. does) that the method of Knight’s conversion was flawed, we must conclude like Paul when he said, “What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.” (Phil 1:18).

According to what you say I can only come to the conclusion that you believe that the "gospel" itself is inadequate to reach those who deny the existence of God.
I would not be caught dead believing that. The gospel is “God’s power unto salvation”. But in that I’ve argued that Paul’s “determination “ to know only certain things speaks to motive and must not be rigidly applied, I would ask you, do you think the Holy Spirit would ever lead one to dismantle another’s false worldview as a prelude to presenting the gospel?

To apply Paul’s words rigidly, would mean that you could speak of nothing to the unsaved except “Christ and him crucified”. You wouldn’t even be able to ask for your engine oil to be changed. Of course we are going to have all manner of conversations. For the surrendered believer (working with the unsaved), all roads lead to Christ. That is what Paul was driving at, IMO.

From what I can understand in what you are saying it is first necessary to use the "wisdom of the world" to dismantle their false worldview.And then and only then will they even consider the gospel.

No. I believe what is necessary is to be true to the Lord, His Word and His Spirit. I don’t think there is any particular formula (with one exception). What worked in Knight’s case may not work in another case. Whatever the Spirit of God leads me to say or not say is what I should do. The only thing required (and this is the exception, i.e. the formula) is the end game, Christ and Him crucified. The Holy Spirit may choose to use that and only that. Or He may lead me to talk about football for a half-an-hour. There’s a lot of conversation topics between the two extremes to include world view dismantling.

In conclusion, regarding my motives in dealing with the lost, I must “[determine] not to know anything among [them],except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.” That is true whether we are chatting over coffee, discussing a ball game, discussing world views or digging into the gospel. We use all conversational roads (under the Spirit’s leading) to direct men to the Savior. He must increase.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Paul's babbling ...

Paul's babbling ...

LightSon writes:
Paul talked about all sorts of things which were outside the specific boundaries of Christ crucified.
Like what?

Lightsonwrites:
Rather, my sense is that the resolution is that whatever Paul talked about, be it “the unknown God”, ...
Read the whole context of Acts 17. Paul was preaching Christ and the Resurrection. That is why the Athenians wanted to hear more of his "babbling."

Jim

LightSon

Which tools shall we use?

Which tools shall we use?

Hi James,
Thank you for bearing with me. Eventually, when we keep retracing old points , I will not want to misuse your time.
Originally posted by James Hilston
I am frustrated that after all you've read and thought, you still seem to miss the point. I know it took me a long time to understand the differences that I'm trying to point out, so I want to be patient. What puzzles me a bit are the statements that are simply false, or have already been thoroughly answered, or are irrelevant.
Sorry to be a burden. I’ve been blind or mired in irrelevancy before, so don’t feel like I’m picking on you. Sometimes I just need to think through thinks on my own. This is not always the same are reading arguments.

Regarding,
false atheistic reasoning, the question-begging nature of the atheist's claims, and the error of allowing the atheist to wield the tools of reason as if they were neutral with respect to truth.
If it is an error to allow them certain “tools of reason”, then our acts to disallow such must be tools of argumentation. We are just deliberating on which tools are valid.

"Wait a second -- I shouldn't be arguing this way." Usually it is a temptation of the flesh. Rather than argue biblically (which is more difficult and requires sharp biblical clarity in one's thinking), it's easy to get drawn into the secular methods of fallacious reasoning.
What is fleshly? You argue for “sharp biblical clarity in one's thinking”. I won’t argue against that, except to say that one can be fleshly and still have “sharp biblical clarity”. Fleshliness pertains to one’s heart motive over and against the specifics of what comes out of one’s mouth or one’s thought processes. In that sense, “sharp biblical clarity” could slip under the secular method.
"Yes it is." "No, it's not." "YES, it IS!" "NO, it's NOT!" and so forth. It is in our sin nature to argue this way, and we readily slip into it. However, the way to answer the atheist's charge against the evils of historic Christianity is not to counter with examples of evil atheists or to try to defend the reputation of evil "christians," but rather to demonstrate the fallacious reasoning behind the accusation, to dismantle the question-begging standard by which an atheist presumes to assess good vs. evil on his worldview. Do you see the difference?
Yes.
Also throughout the scriptures that say the fool has said in his heart there is no God. Why is he a fool for saying that? Especially if he is merely deceived?
One can be a fool and be self-deceived without necessarily being a liar. I’m not going to press this point as I am on weak footing. “let God be true, but every man a liar.” They can be lying. I could be lying. I just doubt that calling another man, even a fool, a liar is effective as a polemical device.
Well, given the fact that they are liars, should their oaths have any bearing on my opinion of the true state of their thinking, especially given the explicit biblical counter-claim to these oaths?
Again, I stipulate that they could be lying. I just doubt that calling another man, even a fool, a liar is effective as a polemical device.
If you examine my interactions with atheists, I don't start off, or make it a primary point of argument, to call them liars. But rather it is something that I keep in my mind and am aware of as I debate them.
Okay. That is probably a better strategy.
It also says they became empty in their reasoning. Does that mean they were no longer able to reason? Of course not. It means that their reasoning becomes futile, because without the God they deny, reasoning, the laws of logic, mathematics, science, etc. do not make sense. They become inane and pointless, and their minds (hearts) become darkened.
Yes, but just because their reasoning tends towards futility, do we defer to engage with them? It SEEMS that to be consistent you should argue we mustn’t argue at all. It follows, from you view, that we should declare them lying fools, give them the gospel and send them on their way. That is, to me, the fruition of your position
Does the fact we are deceived provide a defense?
No it is not a defense, but it is a biblically observed reality – they are fools and they are deceived. And if we engage with them, we need to work through their mindset, no matter how dark their heart or futile their reasoning. Or we can walk away.

The George Costanza fallacy:
you're not really lying if you can convince yourself to believe the lie you want to tell.
I love it. Yes well if the atheist has that much cognizance of their self-deception then calling them a liar might be appropriate. But even in George’s fallacy you must be convinced. The human heart is a dark and inscrutable recess. Like I said, I need God’s help to search out bogus motives in my heart. Perhaps you have had the experience of sinning, rationalizing the sin, and then believing your own rationalizations. The slope into mental illness follows this pattern (I believe). Eventually psychosis can set in to the point that reality is a long lost friend. Such illness can be effectively counteracted by large doses of truth.
Those scriptures must not be merely taken at face value. The kinds of questions I asked above need to be considered: What is the nature of their deception? Is it willful? Or are they merely victims?
That seems reasonable.
As I said above, the entire context, the full context of Romans 1, Psalm 19, Romans 10, Acts 17, and every apologetic encounter in scripture teach the principles I am trying to convey. Further, the scripture in the aforementioned passages, either by explicit statement or implicit example, condemn the kind of argumentation that I've been opposing.
Well. That is the case you are trying to make. I’m still listening
did Paul make an exception when he told Timothy that all scripture (except proverbial ones that are only generally true?) was profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness?
Consider this. If all verses are specifically profitable for doctrine, then it follws that all verses are profitable for reproof? Is that what Paul was saying?

How about this verse Matthew 1:14 “14Azor the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Akim, Akim the father of Eliud” I’d like to see you reprove somebody with that verse. I hope you see my point. Yes I believe Paul, but the profitability of a particular verse as applied doctrinally or for reproof must rest on interpretive rules. Otherwise you end up with Judas hanging himself as an example to all of us.

Does that mean I should not base my training of my children on that verse? Because that's hard work and I could make life a little easier by not being so concerned about this. Obviously, I'm being facetious, but I'm no less serious about the point. How would you answer my question?
As a principle you should base your training on this verse, definitely. You have 2 choices (a.) Train up a child in the way he should go or
(b.) Do not Train up a child in the way he should go

My point is that as a general principle, there is no iron clad guarantee that a child won’t depart from your training from time to time.
Second, and to continue my support of the first observation, many good theologians see these 2 verses in a different light.

Of course. That is irrelevant. The Jews of Paul's day…….,
It is not irrelevant. Please be fair. I based my statement on “good theologians” not “Jews of Paul’s day.” In turning to the whited sepulchers, you vitiated my argument.
I am not buying into Matthew Henry carte blanche. Nevertheless Prov 11:14 states, “Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.”
My larger point is that not all good men agree with you on how to best understand Prov 26:4,5.

It's irrelevant. Do you believe we can know with certainty what God was conveying and how He wants us to apply what Solomon's wrote to his son?
“in the multitude of counsellors there is safety”. This presumes they are “good” cousellors. That is my practical answer to your question. To restate my answer: In principle yes. In practice, I’m not so sure. Are all your doctrinal positions 100% inline with God’s word?
Here, MH violates the very words of both the immediate text and the larger context. It does not say or suggest keeping silent.
You just lost me with that.
Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly…”
If I am “answering NOT”, then this could be construed as “keeping silent”, and I recognize that you will argue otherwise. To lock down your position, you will need to argue that the spirit of God never leads us to keep our mouths shut. You will have a hard time making that case.
In either case, an answer is given
Again, I think you are overreaching. We are not always required to give a verbal answer to the fool. We call this being silent. Even a tacit response could be an answer. For example, when Pilate asked Christ, “what is truth?” Did Jesus give an answer? Perhaps, but his answer wasn’t verbalized. He kept silent.
I agree, but God will not lead you to use the tools unbiblically, as in the case of those who twist and pervert the gospel to their own ends. They use the scripture, which I typically encourage, but they use it deceitfully, which I (and the Bible) condemn.
I don’t have a problem with that as stated.
Most any tool might be effective in showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview.

For example?
I didn’t have one particular example in mind. How about the tools which aided in Knight’s conversion. I realize you are trying to show they are unbiblical but the dynamics “biblical” versus “unbiblical” are still fuzzy in many people’s minds.

Please note that I am not arguing for “whatever works”. I am arguing for whatever tool the Spirit leads us to use is suitable. I am also saying that your application of Prov 26, 4,5 is not binding in the way you have argued.
Would you agree that there are ways to use tools unbiblically?
Yes. Lying is never right. Also, any tool used while living fleshly is inappropriate. Witness over a case of beer comes to mind. Witness at a strip club. See my point?

... but as in Knights case, the false worldview must be dismantled.

You used "but," a contrasting conjunction. How does "showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview" differ from the atheist having his "false worldview ... dismantled"?
Sorry. I used my “but” inappropriately and led you to a wrong conclusion. It was a poor choice.
I see that you’ve just responded to DEVO. You’ve built a house of cards all based on this one Proverb.

I really urge you to reconsider that remark. If I were to cut and paste all of the other passages, examples, inferences, and direct exhortations from scripture that I've cited, your statement would itself be exposed as a house of cards.
You clearly did not like the implications of the “house of cards” reference. Sorry.
I only meant that if you are only using Rom 1 and Prov 26:4 to build your logical framework, and if assumed usage is incorrect, then your logic falls over. This is basic logic. You have denied that these are the only scriptures you are using. Fine. I will try to expand my perspective going forward.
James wrote:
Lightson wrote:
Your conclusion is that persuasion based on physical evidence is unbiblical.
James wrote:
Are you deliberately misstating my position? ….. The fact of them being persuaded is not itself unbiblical. It is unbiblical for the believer to persuade the atheist based on physical evidence.
I wasn’t trying to misstate you position Jim. Let me ask you to confirm your last quote. Did you not say, “It is unbiblical for the believer to persuade the atheist based on physical evidence.”?

What am I missing? How have I misstated your position?

I then proceeded to show that scripture uses physical evidence all the time to demonstrate God’s handiwork.

Are clearly seen. Are understood. Are without a reasoned defense. These are statements of fact about the atheist. So now what? You say, "Hey, I know you've clearly seen the evidence, and I know you already understand, and I know that you understand God's eternal power and nature, and you have a detailed knowledge of God's judgment against you (v. 32) -- the Bible says so -- but just in case that isn't enough, here is some additional evidence to persuade you." Do you see anything wrong with that rationale?
The Bible says so. Is that enough? Well apparently not. Jesus sent us the comforter along side to help illuminate our minds to what scripture says. The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. If the heavens declare God’s glory, and the atheist is too self-deceived to see it and if the Holy Ghost moves me to grab the poor atheists head and point it upwards to the heavens and say “behold, God’s handiwork”, then that must be okay.

Regarding your treatment of “Paul's understanding of Ps. 19 as it is revealed in his rebuke of the Jewish gainsayers in Romans 10:14-18.” ……

I’m going to have to study and think on that for awhile.

I really don’t want this to degenerate into just another tit-for-tat. Like I intimated Jim, you are a very clever debater; you seem to love God’s word and are very entrenched in your position. That is not a bad posture provided you are correct.

All I’m doing is trying to show how I perceive your arguments. Your conclusions seem wrong to me and your assumptions seem wrong to me, otherwise your logic seems fine in most cases. Perhaps as your arguments are refined, I may see the support for your position. In the meantime, it would be a shame if our fixation on the dissection of apologetic tools kept us from actually using the tools.

Here’s an obviously false dichotomy, but we’ll see how you respond.

Which is better? To sincerely (in good conscience) use a wrong tool, or a tool inappropriately? Or doing nothing out of fear and selfishness.

It seems that God uses wrong methods all the time, especially when done in faith. And I realize this is probably well off your point and irrelevant.

Jerry Shugart

In short, I think the verse goes to motive. What is our motive in engaging with the atheist? Is it to dismantle his worldview, or is it to lift up Christ? If the former, then our motive is wrong. If the latter, then the former becomes a means to an end.
LightSon,

The motive of the minister of God is indeed to bring the sinner to a knowledge of the gospel and in doing so the Lord will be glorified.

And if the minister wants to first "dismantle" the atheist world view concerning spiritual things,he must use the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The person who denies the existence of God cannot understand spiritual things:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God;for they are foolishness unto him,neither can he know them,because they are spiritually discerned"(1Cor.2:14).

So no matter how well one might argue that there has to be a God by using the "wisdom of the world",the atheist will still not be able to understand spiritual things.He might even be persuaded and finally admit that God does in fact exist.

And with that he joins the millions upon millions of people who admit that there is a God,but only a small percentage of those people are "born of God" and enjoy the true knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

There is only one way that the sinner can be "born again" and come to the true knowledge of the Lord and Savior,and that is by the word of God:

"Being born again,not of corruptible seed,but of incorruptible,by the word of God"(1Pet.1:23).

By using the "wisdom of the world" in order to convince the athesist that there is a God is only treating the "symptoms" of the sickness,so to speak.The minister of God should know to treat the illness itself.

And to understand the "sickness" one must understand the "motive" of the athesist.What "motive" would the athesist have for not wanting "to retain God in their knowledge"(Ro.1:28)?

Would that motive involve the "sin" question?The Apostle John tells us that there are some who do not believe in the Lord because "they loved darkness rather than light,lest their deeds should be reproved"(Jn.3:20).

So in order to treat the disease and not just the symptoms one must use the only available medicine.And that "medicine" is the "gospel" of the grace of God.The word of God that comes in the power of the Holy Spirit is the only solution to the "sin" question:

"And when He (the Holy Spirit) is come,He will reprove the world of sin"(Jn.16:8).

The preacher is to preach the "word of reconciliation","to wit,that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself,not imputing their trespasses unto them"(2Cor.5:19).

The unbelieve must know that he is a sinner and that there is forgiveness for his sins:

"But God commendeth His love toward us in that,while we were yet sinners Christ died for us...For if,when we were enemies,we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son,much more,being reconciled,we shall be saved by His life"(Ro.5:8,10).

It is in this way that the Christian is told to minister for God.If the unbeliever resists the Holy Spirit and refuses to recognize his sinful condition,then no amount of "wisdom of the world" will ever bring him to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

To truly heal the unbeliever one must treat the disease itself and not just the symptoms.And that is why Paul says that his preaching was not with "enticing words of man's wisdom":

"And my speech and my preaching were not with enticing words of man's wisdom,but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power;that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men,but in the power of God"(1Cor.2:4,5).

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Jim:
Peply to post 278.
Yes, I did anticipate your answer, and I did assume, and I was very happy and relieved that you do rejoice, in spite of how a lost soul is saved.
However, to be honest, I was only about 60% sure of myself.;)
Hence that is why I asked the question.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Jim:
I am going to go back over some past posts to try to answer some of your questions to me. For time's sake I will pick out the ones I judge to be more important and less rhetorical.
BTW, I am in favor of, and PREFER to take a biblical approach to answering atheists, in general. I am opposed to quoting scriptures to atheists who are APOSTATE former pastors of Christian Churches and or schools, who might use their knowledge of God's word to blaspheme His name or His character. I just wanted to clarify my position to you and to others who might read only summations of my thoughts, and or out of context quotes of mine in this thread.
However unlike you, I do not rule out the possiblity and necessity of using either a biblical or an evidential approach to the best advantage and in accordance with my meager abilities.
With that in mind I will answer one of your questions to me. Would I use scripture with Zakath if it were the straw that would break the camel's back. Yes, I absolutely would, if I had any evidence to believe beforehand that it might , or if I was prompted by the Holy Spirit of God! But right now I am led in the opposite direction, by the evidence, and the Spirit!

Last edited:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
...... Reply to question in post 265 concerning Paul and Jesus. Yes they were being insensitive in preaching to the Athenians and the Pharisees. That was the time and the place for that "type" of insensitivity. Apostates have gone beyond the sin of the "unknown God", and the denial of who Jesus is. Apostates are people who once said, I know who God is, or they accepted at one time, that Jesus was "their Lord and their God." Preaching Jesus from the pulpit as the one true God, and as Lord and Saviour, and then apostasizing, is very different from saying, "I don't know who God really is", or "I don't think or believe that you are God."
Surely you see the difference, and why there is much more hope for the Pharisee Paul, who persecuted Stephen, and the Athenian ??? then there was for a Judas Iscariot.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
.....also in post 265, there was a question of whether I believed in doing something that compromised the truth. No, I do not believe in doing something that compromises the truth. But if you understood what I am saying, it is this. We live in a world where the truth is compromised daily. We are sinners and every person we come in contact with is a sinner. If we "cause" or "lead someone into their temptation" then we are in some way responsible and may even be sinning ourselves. You have to ask yourself, "have I done this person any good, or harm?" Many sins are compromised truths. I have given my money to supposedly reformed alcoholics. who asked me for food money. That started them on a 3 week binge. One man came back to me six months later and asked me for money again. I said no, even though he promised me he would only use it for food this time. I reasoned that I would be causing him to sin. There is nothing wrong with generosity, in fact generosity is living the Bible, but it would be sin in that case. Don't you agree?
I have given Zakath Bible verses in the past, and he has sinned with them. There is nothing wrong with the Bible, it is the word of truth. But just as my generosity was turned into sin, some people turn the Word of God into sin. No matter how pure and how well intentioned we are.
It is not so simple to walk the Christian life as we would all hope. It is an art more than simple math. We are daily put in positions of compromise. Some time they are as treacherous as "tell us the TRUTH, Are you hiding any Jews in your house?" To your wife asking you if her new dinner she just cooked "wasn't the best you ever tasted?" { Hint, the correct answer is, that was ABSOLUTELY your best dinner ever, is there any more?}
I would love to quote verse after verse and principle after principle to every atheist and watch them eventually repent and be saved. But I have to decide when it is the right person and the right time. Whether they will be drawn closer to God or they will be cursing His Holy name. These decisions are not easy for me. I often make mistakes and sometimes I am afraid and do the wrong things.
You make some good points, and obviously a lot of good hearted men have taken your main point seriously. But as Light Son said, that alone should give you serious pause to reconsider.
There was a time when the Lord said through Amos. " Behold days are coming, When I will send a famine on the land. Not a famine for bread or a thirst for water, but rather for hearing the words of the Lord."
If God chose times when he would withold His Word, why can't we choose a time when we will withhold His word, from those to whom it is no longer profitable Sometimes it is profitable for them to hunger and thirst for it, for a season.

Last edited:

LightSon

The motive of the minister of God is indeed to bring the sinner to a knowledge of the gospel and in doing so the Lord will be glorified.

And if the minister wants to first "dismantle" the atheist world view concerning spiritual things,he must use the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.
Jerry, I've read your post a couple of times and find nothing to disagree with. I'm a little hazy on what you mean by using the gospel to dismantle a world view. I understand a broad meaning to "gospel", but prefer a strict usage, namely Rom 1:16 and 1st Corinthians 15:1-5.

If I am using worldly wisdom or unbiblical enticing words, then may the Lord show me that.

Status
Not open for further replies.