The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

RogerB

Originally posted by shima
Exactly. So, there are 4 possibilities

1) Jezus is real and you believe in it.
Congratulations, you have the truth and you go to heaven.

2) Jezus is real and you don't believe in him.
Sorry, you are incorrect and you will go to hell. (game over, please insert coin)

3) Jezus isn't real but you do believe in him.
Sorry, you are wrong.

4) Jezus isn't real and you don't believe in him.
Congratulations, you are right.

Now, in cases 3 and 4 the consequence depends on the religion that is true.

A) A religion of works is true.
B) A religion of behavior is true.
C) Atheism is true.

3A:Sorry, you will go to hell for not adhering to the rules laid down by the real deity.
3B: That entirely depends on your behavior. Most of the time, the teachings of Buddha, Ghandi, Jezus, Mohammed are good guidelines.
3C: There is no consequence after death. You don't realise it.

4A: Sorry, you will go to hell if you didn't adhere.OR: congratulations, you have chosen the correct faith and will go to heaven/higher state.
4B: That entirely depends on your behavior. Most of the time, the teachings of Buddha, Ghandi, Jezus, Mohammed are good guidelines.
4C: There is no consequence after you die. If you are an atheist, you have realised this and therefore will most likely have chosen to face the consequences of your actions during your life.

4C is my option: i'm an atheist.

Sorry, the boat left the dock before you stepped off the peer....hope you can swim. :chuckle:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Sorry, the boat left the dock before you stepped off the peer....hope you can swim. :chuckle:
Unless he's on a British dock, that's "pier", RogerB. ;)

RogerB

Originally posted by Curtsibling
Didn't humans invent the christian god, like all the other gods?

I don't see the difference, save for a lot of people in favour of one version of a religion or another.

That does not amount to evidence in my view.

In all my online and real-world travels, I have never had anybody of any belief system give me any real evidence of their chosen deity.

And I have spoken to countless people of many beliefs.
They all seem to be clinging to their ideals, in the face of harsh reality.

But that is what faith is all about, eh?

:nono:

Z Man

Didn't humans invent the christian god, like all the other gods?
This proves that man is devolving, not evolving... :rolleyes:
In all my online and real-world travels, I have never had anybody of any belief system give me any real evidence of their chosen deity.
How much more evidence do you need?

John 6:30; 10:25-26, 37-38
Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do?" Jesus answered them, "I told you [the Truth], and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."
You have yet to experience "harsh reality"....
Originally posted by Shima
Exactly. So, there are 4 possibilities

1) Jezus is real and you believe in it.
Congratulations, you have the truth and you go to heaven.

2) Jezus is real and you don't believe in him.
Sorry, you are incorrect and you will go to hell. (game over, please insert coin)

3) Jezus isn't real but you do believe in him.
Sorry, you are wrong.

4) Jezus isn't real and you don't believe in him.
Congratulations, you are right.

Now, in cases 3 and 4 the consequence depends on the religion that is true.

A) A religion of works is true.
B) A religion of behavior is true.
C) Atheism is true.

3A:Sorry, you will go to hell for not adhering to the rules laid down by the real deity.
3B: That entirely depends on your behavior. Most of the time, the teachings of Buddha, Ghandi, Jezus, Mohammed are good guidelines.
3C: There is no consequence after death. You don't realise it.

4A: Sorry, you will go to hell if you didn't adhere.OR: congratulations, you have chosen the correct faith and will go to heaven/higher state.
4B: That entirely depends on your behavior. Most of the time, the teachings of Buddha, Ghandi, Jezus, Mohammed are good guidelines.
4C: There is no consequence after you die. If you are an atheist, you have realised this and therefore will most likely have chosen to face the consequences of your actions during your life.

4C is my option: i'm an atheist.
Shima,
You and all the other atheists (and sadly, even other Christians) fail to realize that the reason Christianity is so different from all the other religions is that it teaches man cannot obtain heaven through good works. That's where the grace of God comes in.

It doesn't matter how many times you pray, or read the Bible, or go to church, or give money to the church, or sing hymns, or shake the pastor's hand, or take a trip to the holy land, etc.; what matters is realizing that God loves you so much that He gave His life to those who believe so that they will be able to reign with Him forever in love, peace, and ultimate true happiness. Nothing I have done, do, or will do can prevent Him from loving me that much. That's the amazing grace of God that is only reflected through and in Christianity and Christ's life when He was on earth.

Christianity is not a religion; it's a relationship....
My friend, I don't force you to approve.

I can happily coexist with your faith system, however.

Can you with mine?
I have no problem living with people. I do, however, have a problem with not telling people the truth, so that they may come to know it and avoid an eternity of despair and regret....

Desiring to share the gospel with other's is not an act of judgementalism, or condemnation; it's an act of love towards those who are lost.

Curtsibling

Originally posted by Z Man
This proves that man is devolving, not evolving... :rolleyes:

How much more evidence do you need?

I expect evidence, not cut and paste.

John 6:30; 10:25-26, 37-38
Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do?" Jesus answered them, "I told you [the Truth], and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."

This is not evidence, this you quoting from a bible web resource.

I want your words, not something recycled.
Z Man, Do you have words of your own for me?

Or are you an empty vessel?

You have yet to experience "harsh reality"....

That is insulting! Retract this right now.

Pray tell how can you gauge my life's hardships?
Tell me about my life then! You must be a telepath.

This only proves what I feared. You may be a christian in falsehood. Eager to judge others and exalt himself.

Isn't true that "the humbled shall be exalted, and the exalted shall be humbled?" Take note.

Originally posted by Z Man I have no problem living with people. I do, however, have a problem with not telling people the truth, so that they may come to know it and avoid an eternity of despair and regret....

I always tell the truth, do you?

Originally posted by Z Man Desiring to share the gospel with other's is not an act of judgementalism, or condemnation; it's an act of love towards those who are lost.

Only if your motives are pure...
Are they pure, or do you serve your ego, Z Man?

Last edited:

Z Man

I expect evidence, not cut and paste.

This is not evidence, this you quoting from a bible web resource.

I want your words, not something recycled.
Z Man, Do you have words of your own for me?
If you won't believe in what the Bible says, or that creation itself is the greatest evidence for the existence of God, what makes you think you'll believe me? What kind of evidence do you want to make you sure of God's existence that hasn't already been shown?

You may reply with "smart" comments, but the truth still remains; along with all sorts of evidence. I can present them to you all day but you will constantly thwart them as useless and vague because you are blinded from the truth. Until God saves you, you will never believe.
Or are you an empty vessel?
Ohh, the irony in this statement....
That is insulting! Retract this right now.
It's no more insulting than what you said, and I quote:

Pray tell how can you gauge my life's hardships?
Tell me about my life then! You must be a telepath.
Life's hardships are nothing compared to eternity away from God.
This only proves what I feared. You may be a christian in falsehood. Eager to judge others and exalt himself.

Isn't true that "the humbled shall be exalted, and the exalted shall be humbled?" Take note.
Ummmmm........what are you talking about? Do you feel threatened just because I stated that an eternity away from God is harsh? Does that scare you?

Like I said earlier, telling you about God has nothing to do with my ego or my exaltation; I do it out of sincere hopes in that you will come to know Christ before it's everlastingly too late...
I always tell the truth, do you?
I try to. But no one is perfect, and that includes you. That's why you need salvation, just like I and everyone else...
Only if your motives are pure...
Are they pure, or do you serve your ego, Z Man?
I don't know how telling you about Christ has anything to do with my ego.... :confused:

Does bashing Christians serve your ego?

Curtsibling

Obviously you have issues to deal with, but I will indulge you, friend.

In order that you can see with more clarity.
Your eyes are a might clouded, I would deem.

If you won't believe in what the Bible says, or that creation itself is the greatest evidence for the existence of God, what makes you think you'll believe me? What kind of evidence do you want to make you sure of God's existence that hasn't already been shown?

A book written by humans is still written by humans.
They had no more evidence than your good self.

There is scarce little evidence of creation too, but that is another debate altogether.

I don't wish to deprive you of what you believe, what is your fear, friend?

Originally posted by Z Man You may reply with "smart" comments, but the truth still remains; along with all sorts of evidence. I can present them to you all day but you will constantly thwart them as useless and vague because you are blinded from the truth. Until God saves you, you will never believe.

I could say the same thing for in regards to you.
We are truly at an impasse, are we not?
But one you seem to enjoy perpetuating.

I won't back down, and neither will you, so why do we continue?

Ohh, the irony in this statement....

I am heartened that you can recognise it!

Originally posted by Z Man It's no more insulting than what you said, and I quote:

They all seem to be clinging to their ideals, in the face of harsh reality.[/i]

So me having spoken to people is just as insulting as you making off-the-mark and arrogant claims about me, a person you don't even know?

What train of thought are you riding? Economy class, perhaps?

Originally posted by Z Man Life's hardships are nothing compared to eternity away from God.

I take it you have experienced death and return to life?
You seem to speak with much authority on this.

Originally posted by Z Man Ummmmm........what are you talking about? Do you feel threatened just because I stated that an eternity away from God is harsh? Does that scare you?

I have no fear.
Rattling some myths at me is hardly intimidating.
After death, we shall see who is right or wrong.

I reckon you, my friend are the one who lives in fear.
You can cure that fear. Break free of it and think openly.

Originally posted by Z Man Like I said earlier, telling you about God has nothing to do with my ego or my exaltation; I do it out of sincere hopes in that you will come to know Christ before it's everlastingly too late...

You seem to empower yourself as you do it.
I ask you, are you really into this faith for love or for petty self-aggrandizement?

Originally posted by Z Man I try to. But no one is perfect, and that includes you. That's why you need salvation, just like I and everyone else...

Right now I need sleep.
You need to be saved, indeed.
I am free from fear. I live a life away from petty hate and ego. Do you?

You seem to be trapped, but there is a way to peace of mind.
You must stop your self-power lust and be honest to yourself.

Originally posted by Z Man I don't know how telling you about Christ has anything to do with my ego.... :confused:

Read your posts and you will see what I mean.
You ooze with scorn and pettiness, a sure way to a self-imposed nightmare.

Originally posted by Z Man Does bashing Christians serve your ego?

I do not bash anyone, that is your wounded ego crying out.
It is you who has hurled all the verbal abuse in this tete-a-tete.

Regardless,
Best wishes
Curt
:)

Last edited:

shima

Z Man: You and all the other atheists (and sadly, even other Christians) fail to realize that the reason Christianity is so different from all the other religions is that it teaches man cannot obtain heaven through good works. That's where the grace of God comes in.

So, christianity is a bit different from other religions. So is Buddhism, since it doesn't believe in any God or gods.

And I do know that christianity is not a religion of works. That is what I said in my Extended Pascal's Wager, since belief is the only requirement for heaven should christianity be true.

It doesn't matter how many times you pray, or read the Bible, or go to church, or give money to the church, or sing hymns, or shake the pastor's hand, or take a trip to the holy land, etc.; what matters is realizing that God loves you so much that He gave His life to those who believe so that they will be able to reign with Him forever in love, peace, and ultimate true happiness. Nothing I have done, do, or will do can prevent Him from loving me that much. That's the amazing grace of God that is only reflected through and in Christianity and Christ's life when He was on earth.

I know christianity claims all this. I used it in my Extended Pascal's Wager. What exactly is your point?

Z Man

A book written by humans is still written by humans.
They had no more evidence than your good self.
Everything we learn comes from history. How do you think all of that was recorded?

If you believe in Alexander the Great, or the ancient Egyptian civilizations, or even Abraham Lincoln, then you shouldn't have a problem believing in Jesus as well. His life is based on the same evidence that we have for every other historical figure that has ever lived on this planet.
There is scarce little evidence of creation too, but that is another debate altogether.
The fact that you bear life and conciousness is all the evidence you need. The evidence for creation is everywhere; all around us. Life didn't happen by chance; that's impossible. Get a grip on reality and stop loathing around in fairy tales of evolution...
I don't wish to deprive you of what you believe, what is your fear, friend?
My fear is of you spending eternity away from our Heavenly Creator above.
You may reply with "smart" comments, but the truth still remains; along with all sorts of evidence. I can present them to you all day but you will constantly thwart them as useless and vague because you are blinded from the truth. Until God saves you, you will never believe.
I could say the same thing for in regards to you.
You can say that God needs to save me? So you do believe in God? Alright! Now we're getting somewhere....
So me having spoken to people is just as insulting as you making off-the-mark and arrogant claims about me, a person you don't even know?
Look dude, stop your whining. You said:

In other words, you are saying:

Religionists are a bunch of daydreamers who have false hopes and need to wake up and be wise, like I, so they can know the difference between reality and make-believe.

All I said to you in reply was that you have no idea what a "harsh reality" is all about. People go through hard times here on earth, yes, but it's nothing compared to an eternity away from Love. All of a sudden, you take offense to that and start crying about how I'm judemental towards your life. I'm sorry if there was anything tragic that has happened in your life, but it will not stop me from telling you that you must be saved.
Well, I'm obviously not riding the same train as you, so that can't be it....
I take it you have experienced death and return to life?
You seem to speak with much authority on this.
Well, I know a Man who once experienced this death and resurrection, and because of who He is and what He has promised, I can speak with authority on this matter. He never tells a lie...
I have no fear.
And that's your problem. You need to fear God.
After death, we shall see who is right or wrong.
Well, if I'm right, won't death be a little too late in your type of situation? But if I'm wrong, who cares; what have I lost?
I reckon you, my friend are the one who lives in fear.
You can cure that fear. Break free of it and think openly.
I do fear God, and that, my friend, is breaking free and thinking openly. There is no other freedom than that which is in Christ.

Your the one who is enslaved by his own doom. You can't save yourself, and from your sins you can't escape. You are lost, and no matter what intelligence you acquire or things you accomplish in this life, it will never be the light that saves which is only found in Christ.
You seem to empower yourself as you do it.
I ask you, are you really into this faith for love or for petty self-aggrandizement?
I believe in God. Do you think this makes me egotistical, judgemental, and a hater? Why are you threatned by my beliefs?
Right now I need sleep.
You need to be saved, indeed.
I am free from fear. I live a life away from petty hate and ego. Do you?
More than you know....
It is you who has hurled all the verbal abuse in this tete-a-tete.
But you do bash. These are your exact words:

You ooze with scorn and pettiness, a sure way to a self-imposed nightmare.
And my favorite of them all (because it was right after you said you didn't bash!):

Curt,
You're a hypocrite who hides behind a wall of smart comments and your "good life". You think you got it safe behind this wall, but when death comes, and that wall is snatched away from you, you'll really know the meaning of fear and "harsh reality". I wouldn't want to be in those shoes.... :nono:

Z Man

So, christianity is a bit different from other religions. So is Buddhism, since it doesn't believe in any God or gods.
Christianity is not just a "bit different"; it's completely different than any other religion. All of them teach that to reach heaven, paradise, or even Nirvana (in Buddhism's case), one must live a life of discipline; a good life. That's just not so for Christianity. That's what makes God's grace so amazing. There's nothing we can do to save ourselves.
And I do know that christianity is not a religion of works. That is what I said in my Extended Pascal's Wager, since belief is the only requirement for heaven should christianity be true.
But even belief isn't a requirement we must accomplish in order to get to heaven. You don't believe to be saved; to be saved is to believe. The only requirement to get to heaven is God's grace.
I know christianity claims all this. I used it in my Extended Pascal's Wager. What exactly is your point?
But you believe that a person has to believe in order to be saved. My point is simply this:

You won't believe unless God saves you.

shima

Z Man: But you believe that a person has to believe in order to be saved. My point is simply this:

You won't believe unless God saves you.

Well, that is not what most other christians claim. If I read you correctly, then there is nothing a person can do. If God selects him, then he'll get into heaven. If God doesn't select him, then he'll go to hell. So, on what basis does God make its judgement?

Curtsibling

Poor Z Man, your hostile intent is plain to see.
You really have something to get off your chest.

I have done nothing but state my view, and you have more or less declared war with a barrage of unmasked fury.

Is that is your weakness?

You my friend, will reap the harvest of such a grim attitude.
Such smugness, and hubris will only lead to disaster.

I make smart comments?
I won't say sorry if my words are too much for you to bear.

I am not your foe, for you have a great one already - YOU!

But I will give you what you want. I feel sorry for you.

A man of faith, but one quick to deal out scorn. Sad.

A falsified christian, I deem. I hope you can be turned back.

Anyway, let's dance...

Everything we learn comes from history. How do you think all of that was recorded?

When did I deny history?...Own goal by Z Man.

Originally posted by Z Man If you believe in Alexander the Great, or the ancient Egyptian civilizations, or even Abraham Lincoln, then you shouldn't have a problem believing in Jesus as well. His life is based on the same evidence that we have for every other historical figure that has ever lived on this planet.

I have never denied Jesus was a real-life figure in history, you are dreaming up hallucinations to back your tirade...Own goal by Z Man.

Originally posted by Z Man The fact that you bear life and conciousness is all the evidence you need. The evidence for creation is everywhere; all around us. Life didn't happen by chance; that's impossible. Get a grip on reality and stop loathing around in fairy tales of evolution...

As a reasonable human I demand more!
Nature is here all around, a adaptive product of this planet that we are lucky enough to have.

We are just a lifeform on it's surface, given an advanced brain to reason and debate with.

Some can reason better than others...

The real mystery behind the creation of our world can only be guesed at by all, I never said evolution was the only answer!

More fantasy and fact-twisting by you!

Another own goal by Z Man.

Originally posted by Z Man My fear is of you spending eternity away from our Heavenly Creator above.

Don't fear, worry about yourself.

Also:
And you have not a beggar's care about me, don't give me that tired line.
You make it clear what you think of those who are not in your mindset...

You know though, I have time for you.
I would shake your hand.

You in turn have thinly veiled contempt that oozes from every word.
Sad to see a man fall from wisdom so, Jesus did not want hatemongers, he wanted men of reason and humility.

Point to the reason and humility in your paragraphs. ;)

I see none.

Originally posted by Z Man I could say the same thing for in regards to you.
You can say that God needs to save me? So you do believe in God? Alright! Now we're getting somewhere....

Snap judgement, you miss a turn.
But you are not too far off target...

Originally posted by Z Man Look dude, stop your whining. You said:

They all seem to be clinging to their ideals, in the face of harsh reality.[/i]

Me? I am no different. I cling to ideals, Don't we all?

Perhaps I should have said that and saved you some grey hairs!

Originally posted by Z Man In other words, you are saying:

Religionists are a bunch of daydreamers who have false hopes and need to wake up and be wise, like I, so they can know the difference between reality and make-believe.

You are saying that in your all-out attack to get a battle going.
A doomed campaign, I may add.

I smile while you scream abuse, I turn the other cheek.

Who is closer to the christain ideal here?

All I said to you in reply was that you have no idea what a "harsh reality" is all about. People go through hard times here on earth, yes, but it's nothing compared to an eternity away from Love. All of a sudden, you take offense to that and start crying about how I'm judemental towards your life. I'm sorry if there was anything tragic that has happened in your life, but it will not stop me from telling you that you must be saved.

I can understand, yes we all have our tragedies, me and you.
I have had my fair share. So I'll overlook your misunderstanding.

See, I can forgive, and we can be reasonable men.

Originally posted by Z Man Well, I'm obviously not riding the same train as you, so that can't be it....

We all have our own road to follow! :)

Originally posted by Z Man Well, I know a Man who once experienced this death and resurrection, and because of who He is and what He has promised, I can speak with authority on this matter. He never tells a lie...

I doubt he would appreciate your angry attitude, he would give you a clip around the ear, methinks.

Humility and reason, Z Man!

Originally posted by Z Man And that's your problem. You need to fear God.

You need to stop this fear of other people!
Live your live properly - free from taint, and you can't go wrong.

I am captain of my own fate. :)

PS
Are you free from poisons and intoxicants, Z Man?

Originally posted by Z Man Well, if I'm right, won't death be a little too late in your type of situation? But if I'm wrong, who cares; what have I lost?

Exactly, why do I feature in your reckoning at all?
I live a righteous life, so do not worry, my man!

Fix your own garden before looking at others!

Originally posted by Z Man I do fear God, and that, my friend, is breaking free and thinking openly. There is no other freedom than that which is in Christ.

I think the citizens of any dictatorship will contest that.

The choice of learning about Jesus, etc is part of the freedom we have in our fine nations.

You should be glad of such luxury. Millions have never tasted freedom, only death.

Originally posted by Z Man Your the one who is enslaved by his own doom. You can't save yourself, and from your sins you can't escape. You are lost, and no matter what intelligence you acquire or things you accomplish in this life, it will never be the light that saves which is only found in Christ.

My sins?
Tell me my sins, Z Man. :)

I have a brain and I will achieve things in life. Does this irk you?

If so, why?

Gads, man!
You live in the USA, land of opportunity.
Riches are no dream if you work hard to get them.

Seek your light, Z Man. You are not getting near to it. But you might...

I have my own light,

PS
There is no issue in my mind with Jesus the real man, only those who speak for him with such hostile words.

He would not be impressed with you, attacking a reasonable man like me.

Originally posted by Z Man I believe in God. Do you think this makes me egotistical, judgemental, and a hater? Why are you threatned by my beliefs?

More than you know....

I like you, Z Man. :)

I am happy for your beliefs, and it is my reasonable attitude that is annoying you.

You want war, and I am not going to give you it.

I am happy to watch you slide from the road of wisdom even further.

And remind you for every inch of slippage.

Originally posted by Z Man But you do bash. These are your exact words:

I don't bash, I remind.
You are the one with a battle to fight.

I am only being obliging and letting you get this out of your system.

Curt,
You're a hypocrite who hides behind a wall of smart comments and your "good life". You think you got it safe behind this wall, but when death comes, and that wall is snatched away from you, you'll really know the meaning of fear and "harsh reality". I wouldn't want to be in those shoes.... :nono:

Yes.
Well I say I have lived a life of good attitude and generosity.
And my smart comments are irritating you? What do you want?
Rambling teenage newbie talk to make you look clever and sooth your ego?

No way, you'll eat good prose and like it, young man! :cool:

Now for my sermon: :D

Please note your errors in this campaign of anger you have launched...
Faith is not a badge, but you seem to wear it like a licence to scorn.
Firing barrage after barrage of furious comments, growing more uptight with every word.
A bad way to be. If you are serious in your posts.

I hope you are just working off a coffee rush.

It is you friend who may well pay for the 'sin' of pride.
In this life, and perhaps in that afterlife you so hope for.

Surely you must be able to rationalise that I am not a hater?

Is thread war really your motivator, for those wars are hard to win, especially against a tireless rival...;)

But despite it all, I am still here to smile back and shake your hand. I offer it.

There is no hostility from me...I see nothing wrong with what you are into.

And a good righteous lifestyle as the best way to be.

I live this way, I assume you do to...So why the bared steel?

Is peace of mind not enough?
Why do you seek me as a target?
Am I really your foe?

Answer me these!

:confused:

Last edited:

Z Man

Poor Z Man, your hostile intent is plain to see.
You really have something to get off your chest.

I have done nothing but state my view, and you have more or less declared war with a barrage of unmasked fury.

Is that is your weakness?

You my friend, will reap the harvest of such a grim attitude.
Such smugness, and hubris will only lead to disaster.

I make smart comments?
I won't say sorry if my words are too much for you to bear.

I am not your foe, for you have a great one already - YOU!

But I will give you what you want. I feel sorry for you.

A man of faith, but one quick to deal out scorn. Sad.

A falsified christian, I deem. I hope you can be turned back.

Anyway, let's dance...

Some can reason better than others...

More fantasy and fact-twisting by you!

Don't fear, worry about yourself.

Also:
And you have not a beggar's care about me, don't give me that tired line.
You make it clear what you think of those who are not in your mindset...

You know though, I have time for you.
I would shake your hand.

You in turn have thinly veiled contempt that oozes from every word.
Sad to see a man fall from wisdom so, Jesus did not want hatemongers, he wanted men of reason and humility.

Point to the reason and humility in your paragraphs. ;)

I see none.

You are saying that in your all-out attack to get a battle going.
A doomed campaign, I may add.

I smile while you scream abuse, I turn the other cheek.

Who is closer to the christain ideal here?

I can understand, yes we all have our tragedies, me and you.
I have had my fair share. So I'll overlook your misunderstanding.

See, I can forgive, and we can be reasonable men.

I doubt he would appreciate your angry attitude, he would give you a clip around the ear, methinks.

Humility and reason, Z Man!

My sins?
Tell me my sins, Z Man. :)

I have a brain and I will achieve things in life. Does this irk you?

If so, why?

Gads, man!
You live in the USA, land of opportunity.
Riches are no dream if you work hard to get them.

Seek your light, Z Man. You are not getting near to it. But you might...

I have my own light,

PS
There is no issue in my mind with Jesus the real man, only those who speak for him with such hostile words.

He would not be impressed with you, attacking a reasonable man like me.

I like you, Z Man. :)

I am happy for your beliefs, and it is my reasonable attitude that is annoying you.

You want war, and I am not going to give you it.

And remind you for every inch of slippage.

I don't bash, I remind.
You are the one with a battle to fight.

I am only being obliging and letting you get this out of your system.

Well I say I have lived a life of good attitude and generosity.
And my smart comments are irritating you? What do you want?
Rambling teenage newbie talk to make you look clever and sooth your ego?

No way, you'll eat good prose and like it, young man! :cool:
:vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

You'd make a good politician...
Please note your errors in this campaign of anger you have launched...
Faith is not a badge, but you seem to wear it like a licence to scorn.
Firing barrage after barrage of furious comments, growing more uptight with every word.
A bad way to be. If you are serious in your posts.

I hope you are just working off a coffee rush.

It is you friend who may well pay for the 'sin' of pride.
In this life, and perhaps in that afterlife you so hope for.

Surely you must be able to rationalise that I am not a hater?

Is thread war really your motivator, for those wars are hard to win, especially against a tireless rival...;)
Whoa dude, calm down. It will be alright. No one is angry around here. The only person threatned is you. I simply tell you that you must be born-again, and you go all ballastic on me. Telling you that God loves you is not an angry motive, or prideful one at that. So take it easy; no one is going to hurt you, ok?
I am captain of my own fate. :)
And I'm merely another vessel kindly pointing you to the Lighthouse, so you won't hit the rocks, sink, and drown....
And a good righteous lifestyle as the best way to be.

I live this way, I assume you do to...So why the bared steel?

Is peace of mind not enough?
Why do you seek me as a target?
Am I really your foe?

Answer me these!

:confused:
I'm not seeking you as a target, or reguard you as a foe. I'm simply warning you that no one lives a righteous life, no matter how hard they try. We are not perfect, and because of that, we all need a savior.

Let me ask you one simple question:

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God's only Son and that He died for your sins, and rose again on the third day, and is now reigning with God forever more?

Z Man

Well, that is not what most other christians claim. If I read you correctly, then there is nothing a person can do. If God selects him, then he'll get into heaven. If God doesn't select him, then he'll go to hell. So, on what basis does God make its judgement?
His will.

LightSon

Curtsibling,
I don't wish to interfere in your "discussin" with Zman, but I do have an observation and a couple questions for you.

I have my own light

Could you share what this light is?

Regarding Zman you said

I find that to be callous and troubling. In a Christian I would judge it to be unloving. As you don't claim Christ, I afford you a certain latitude. Would you care to defend, clarify or recant your statement?

I am captain of my own fate.

That reminds me of a poem, which rather chills my soul.

INVICTUS Written by William Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Very chilling and sad.

Curtsibling

Goodness!
Z Man if you are going to keep this up, please, not so many typos!
I don't want to have to start correcting you...

Badly spelt posts have little impact on me! :)

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

You'd make a good politician...

Can I rely on your vote in the next election?

Originally posted by Z Man Whoa dude, calm down. It will be alright. No one is angry around here. The only person threatned is you. I simply tell you that you must be born-again, and you go all ballastic on me. Telling you that God loves you is not an angry motive, or prideful one at that. So take it easy; no one is going to hurt you, ok?

I am completely calm.

You, however, are now retreating into the 5th-grade tactics of acting is if you are the pillar of maturity.

Are you aware of what you are actually typing?

You are the one you resorted to name calling and threatening tones...

Go back and read your posts, Z Man!

And please, cut the patronising tone, I still hold the high ground in this exchange! :)

It is you who is going down with engine trouble, my good aviator!

Originally posted by Z Man And I'm merely another vessel kindly pointing you to the Lighthouse, so you won't hit the rocks, sink, and drown....

To use your weird metaphor, I am a cruise ship in tropical waters, you are a small trawler, lost in a whirlpool!

I have no fear of the future, look out for yourself...

Originally posted by Z Man I'm not seeking you as a target, or reguard you as a foe. I'm simply warning you that no one lives a righteous life, no matter how hard they try. We are not perfect, and because of that, we all need a savior.

You need saved sure enough.
Who makes you the judge of other people?

That is the dangerous notion I warned you about.
You choose not to listen, and have eletced the hard way.

Oh well, you will learn! :)

Originally posted by Z Man Let me ask you one simple question:

Feel free to ask a complex one, you know I can handle it!

Originally posted by Z Man Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God's only Son and that He died for your sins, and rose again on the third day, and is now reigning with God forever more?

If you want such a scenario, then yes!
Who is going to deny you of it if you are true to your ideal?

Z Man, I am going to tell you something;

(And wipe the glaze from your eyes and READ THIS!)

I claim victory in this tete-a-tete!
You have continually produced inconsistent threats, claims and oaths like a man possessed.

You seem to miss the point that I am a person who is not at odds with your belief.
Still, you have went into some bizarre attempt to write me off as a heretic, then go into some heavy-handed attempt at evangelism!

What is with you, Z Man!?!

Covering your ears and screaming at me is not going to make me go away.

I stand here still, smiling unmoved one millimetre from my stance, while you have exhausted all ordnance in this doomed attempt to do what?

Educate me? Demoralise me? Convert me?

Don't make me laugh...:cool:

I have all those factors under check.

Seems I have more christian values than you, Z Man, you have acted in a very uncharitable way in your posts, with insults pride, anger and scorn.

I didn't provoke you, but it is obvious you have a giant chip on your shoulder about something.
I urge you to go and fix your life's problems, don't let them manifest as bad emotions on the forum.

I continually offer you a hand of peace, and you strike back with your frenzied words...
Well, you are a strange case, but I will not write you off just yet.

I am really here to experience different people, not to battle with them.

I tell you I am not your enemy, but like a child in a tantrum you continue to stamp your feet and cry...

I expect better!

I see this 'debate' as a fruitless effort, you have your own life to worry about, and you have no power to make me change me course.
My course is the best for me, you don't actually know who or what I am, do you?
You are quick to judge me, and that is the folly that makes me laugh!

Z Man your attempts to attack me all come to naught...
Give it up, don't let this thread be your Stalingrad.

:)

Best wishes,
Curt

Last edited:

shima

Z man: His will.

And there is no other factor involved? No "is he a good person"? No "how does he relate to others?" No "how social is he?".

So, if you awnser "no" to all those questions, then who God chooses would seem to us to be random since we cannot know Gods will. So, if you end up in heaven or hell is completely random to us.

Now, if that is true, then there is no sense of justice in heaven or hell. People are not rewarded or punished because of something they did, but because God likes[]/b] it that way.

Nice deity you have there. I'll stick to the deity I have now (ie none).

Curtsibling

Originally posted by LightSon
Curtsibling,
I don't wish to interfere in your "discussin" with Zman, but I do have an observation and a couple questions for you.

Trying to form a stereotype?

I'll play your game, maybe! :)

Originally posted by LightSon Could you share what this light is?

This light is in your heart, if you really have it.

I am not going to make it easy and tell you, friend.

If you live in a proper way with charity and righteousness,
you will feel it's glow and flame in your heart and know your are in this light.

Originally posted by LightSon I find that to be callous and troubling. In a Christian I would judge it to be unloving. As you don't claim Christ, I afford you a certain latitude. Would you care to defend, clarify or recant your statement?

Z Man claims to be part of a belief that expounds reason, humilty and charity, and tolerance.

He has shown little evidence of any of them, surely you can see this?

Are you another christian who has invented his own set of values, opoosite from what Jesus recommended?

Originally posted by LightSon That reminds me of a poem, which rather chills my soul.

You are easily chilled!

Originally posted by LightSon Very chilling and sad.

Being a free man is not sad!

If you are scared to make your own waves in life, that is the most mournful thing.

A man terrified by a fate he refuses to control!

Think on this...:)