Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe you're right. Maybe he cared a lot. But we have to look what is there and not read backwards our own modern theology into it.

If he DID care, he forgot to tell us.

He did tell us.

John 14:18 New King James Version (NKJV)

18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

StanJ

Maybe you're right. Maybe he cared a lot. But we have to look what is there and not read backwards our own modern theology into it.
If he DID care, he forgot to tell us.

If you don't know HOW to read the Bible then you won't see a lot of things. If you don't read with the Holy Spirit then you won't see a lot of things.
It is written. Learn to read what is written.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
If you don't know HOW to read the Bible then you won't see a lot of things. If you don't read with the Holy Spirit then you won't see a lot of things.
It is written. Learn to read what is written.

The problem for you is that you add to what is written. It is a grave sin to do that.

This is Christianity 101.

Apple7

I read your post, and was completely unimpressed.
You are really going to have to do better than that.

It took you three whole days to come up with that response...?:chuckle:

The Epistle to the Hebrews is named for the audience (Hebrew Christians), not for the Old Testament material that it uses from the Greek Septuagint (not the Hebrew Tanakh).

If it was addressing Hebrews then it would have been written in Hebrew...but it was not.

Think, Mcfly, think...

I see you left off Hebrews 1:1, which directly refutes you claim.

Hebrews 1:1-3
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:​

In case you can't read it, it says God has now spoken unto us by His Son, the same Son that God has appointed to be heir of all things.

Heb 1.1 validates The Trinity.

πολυμερως και πολυτροπως παλαι ο θεος λαλησας τοις πατρασιν εν τοις προφηταις επ εσχατου των ημερων τουτων ελαλησεν ημιν εν υιω

POLYMERŌS kai POLYTROPŌS palai ho theos lalēsas tois patrasin en tois prophētais

By many portions and in various forms, God spoke to the fathers in the prophets;

πολυμερῶς polymerōs means "by many portions, by many times and in many ways"
πολυτρόπως polytropōs means "in many manners"

You are probably mistaking πολυμερῶς polymerōs with μέρος meros.

μέρος meros is one of the words parts in πολυμερῶς polymerōs (the other word is πολυ poly, a prefix meaning many).

μέρος meros is not found by itself in Hebrews 1:1, but is found in 43 other places in the Bible and none of them anything to do with the Trinity.

No.

You are mistaken.

The word in question, is used only one time in the NT.

πολυμερως = ‘polymerōs’

‘polymerōs’ definition:

Strong’s #G4181. Adverb from G4183 ‘polus’, much, many, and G3313 ‘meros’, a part. By or in many parts. By many portions; in many portions; in various parts, i.e. variously as to time and agency (piecemeal). This word means by many portions, by many times and in many ways, yet all connected. It is related to ‘asunder’ to break one item into many pieces; hence, all of God’s means of revelation still have Him, the One God, as their source.

Strong’s #G4183 ‘polus’.

Strong’s #G3313 ‘meros’. A part. A part due or assigned to one. One of the constituent parts of a whole; in a context where the whole and its parts are distinguished.

References:
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian Literature, 3rd edition (BDAG), Frederick William Danker, p. 847
Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Joseph H. Thayer, pp. 400 – 401; 529
The Complete Wordstudy Dictionary of the New Testament, Warren Baker, Warren Baker, based on the lexicons of Edward Robinson & John Parkhurst, p. 1195
The New Strong’s expanded exhaustive concordance of the Bible (red-letter edition), James Strong, LL.D., S.T.D., p. 206

Apple7

Come discuss it all in person with this alleged "pencil-necked geek", keyboard warrior. You'd learn volumes, and possibly even get saved.

So...

Where is PPSBS?

He went completely and utterly silent after I took him up on his (now exposed as bogus) offer!

If he wants to save face, he will not be showing it around here any longer...:wave2:

genuineoriginal

Your concurrence is not required, and all those attributes are depicted in the Bible. Of course you never actually answer a direct question. You either can't read or refuse to see them if the actual word is not there.
The word Almighty is actually in the Bible.
Why do you feel you have to use the word Omnipotent instead?

The words Omnipresent and Omniscient describe misrepresentations of what the Bible says about God.

So, again I ask, if men claim that God has attributes that are not verbalized in the Bible, why in the world would you believe those men?

genuineoriginal

I was taught to properly read the Bible, and unless you are claiming to be God, you have no idea what I was taught or learned.
Based on what you teach on this forum, you were not taught how to read the Bible.
You were taught the things the mainstream churches teach that are not taught by the Bible, and get confused whenever anyone asks you to show the verses that say what you claim the Bible says.

StanJ

The word Almighty is actually in the Bible.
Why do you feel you have to use the word Omnipotent instead?

The words Omnipresent and Omniscient describe misrepresentations of what the Bible says about God.

So, again I ask, if men claim that God has attributes that are not verbalized in the Bible, why in the world would you believe those men?

Very good, now take that understanding and read/study your Bible with it.

Denial without corroboration FROM the Bible is tantamount to being an Ostrich who sticks there head in the sand when danger gets close.

ALL of Gods attributes are depicted in the Bible, and many of them only find their completeness in the NT, just as Jesus was the completeness of God's plan of salvation, even though it was prophesied more than 650 times in the OT. Here's a few I'm sure you ignore or deny.

Is 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Is 43:11-12
I, yes I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I’ve revealed and saved and proclaimed, when there was no foreign god among you — and you are my witnesses,” declares the LORD.

Heb 1:8
But to the Son He says:
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.”

If you can't see what is clearly IN these few scriptures, then you will never see, not matter how many verses people quote to you.

StanJ

I have read my Bible many times in several different English translations.
What you teach is not found in the verses in the Bible.

So I suggest you stop reading the Bible in any language, and pray to receive the Holy Spirit and understanding...it starts with FAITH.

StanJ

You trinity believers do it. You add your own qualification for salvation without Jesus' permission.
BTW, your question is boring.

and YOU make accusations without foundation or proof, which is why most people ignore you. I may do the same soon.

StanJ

Based on what you teach on this forum, you were not taught how to read the Bible.
You were taught the things the mainstream churches teach that are not taught by the Bible, and get confused whenever anyone asks you to show the verses that say what you claim the Bible says.

You opine a lot...too bad you can't actually read with ANY comprehension.

BTW, I don't teach, I confess, agree with God, as to what His Word says and conveys. All you do is deny the truth.

Read and learn something;

https://www.gci.org/God/3Bible

Preachers.Wife

BANNED
Banned
Ok, so I didn't read everything, but I'm gonna drop my opinion in, right here. If you do not know who God is, how can you follow Him? So, yeah ya gotta know who God is. He is three in one. That's just how it is. My opinion, do not crucify me if you do not agree.