toldailytopic: To circumcise or not circumcise. What should Christian parents do?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 14th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: To circumcise or not circumcise. What should Christian parents do?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This Charming Manc

Go with culture and medical advice, its not a spiritual issue any more.

Us Brits don't as a rule I think you Americans do more generally.

gcthomas

It seems that around a hundred boys are killed a year in the USA by their circumsion operations.

Is there a benefit that makes up for the deaths?

THYMOS: Journal of Boyhood Studies, Vol. 4, No. 1, Spring 2010, 78-90

LOST BOYS: AN ESTIMATE OF U.S. CIRCUMCISION-RELATED INFANT DEATHS
- Dan Bollinger

Abstract: Baby boys can and do succumb as a result of having their foreskin removed. Circumcision-related mortality rates are not known with certainty; this study estimates the scale of this problem. This study finds that approximately 117 neonatal circumcision-related deaths (9.01/100,000) occur annually in the United States, about 1.3% of male neonatal deaths from all causes. Because infant circumcision is elective, all of these deaths are avoidable. This study also identifies reasons why accurate data on these deaths are not available, some of the obstacles to preventing these deaths, and some solutions to overcome them.

LKmommy

A Christian parent would hopefully teach their child about Jesus and demonstrate their beliefs in their actions and words. Not necessary for "salvation". Even though I do not have boys, I would have circumcised for a multitude of reasons.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It's a medical procedure of dubious value. It's value seem only that of culture and tradition--in other words legalism. Should Christian parents have it done to their sons? No.

bybee

It's a medical procedure of dubious value. It's value seem only that of culture and tradition--in other words legalism. Should Christian parents have it done to their sons? No.

However, there are those adult males who suffer from chronic infections who wind up having circumcision of necessity. It is quite a painful procedure for an adult.

PureX

They should do whatever they feel is best. The shape of one's penis has nothing whatever to do with his being a Christian.

IMJerusha

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Whatever Ruach HaKodesh leads them to do.

Alate_One

Then why include it?

Actually its a rather variable trait. Lots are born with little to no foreskin, others have a lot. You could view circumcision as a way of stanardizing everyone. It also has some medical benefits. In my family's case there have been problems for the uncircumcised males in the family later in life.

Doormat

Circumcision is genital mutilation. Doing it to children is barbaric, needlessly subjecting them to pain, suffering and potential sexual dysfunction.

Consider that circumcision today does not resemble the circumcision God commanded. Originally, the Hebrews only cut off the tip of the foreskin, unlike the radical circumcision of today that can cause irreparable damage to the frenulum and consequently sexual dysfunction later in life.

If you believe there are benefits to circumcision, I suggest you allow a boy to mature to the point that he can decide for himself if that is what he wants. Research the adverse effects of circumcision. Read the stories of men who have suffered from the genital mutilation imposed on them.

Doormat

It is quite a painful procedure for an adult.

Considering one estimate is 96% of infant circumcisions are performed without anesthesia, how do you imagine it feels for a child? At least the adult can give informed consent and understands what is being done to him.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
It's not a "Biblical" thing to do in this dispensation. (and I have also read that it isn't even the same, like Doormat said) I think an adult should decide what modifications they want performed on their own crotch.