Why is Bob proud about being homophobic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Knight:]
Open to anyone???

Really??

How far do you take your own train of thought? Do you love pedophiles, rapists, murderers? And if so... how do you demonstrate that love? Curious minds want to know.

It ain't easy. Who said it was? Did Jesus say it was going to be easy to follow him? I know Paul talked about how hard it was for himself to do the right thing...

You continue...How "inclusive" do you assert that Jesus wants us to be?

ALL inclusive.

Again... should our love and acceptance include pedophiles, rapists and murderers?

That's our dilemma, isn't it? The power of "forgiveness" is different in quality from "love" and "acceptance." The last two come later, if at all, after the hard work of the first word is finished.

Or were you simply using "inclusive" in regard to homosexuals? If you were... how to you determine just what Jesus wanted us to be "inclusive" about?

Searching for his authentic voice in the Bible is one way. Prayer--not to impose my agenda, but to find God's. Jesus helped people meet their needs. In ancient Palestine, as now, people get addicted to ineffective strategies for meeting those underlying needs. Rape is an ineffective strategy for tenderness, pedophilia is an ineffective strategy for something normal and human (I don't think we know exactly what right now) and homosexuality is just part of nature. There are a lot of books now for curious minds about homosexuality's evidence and prevalence in the animal world--including "transgendered bears"--believe it or not! Acts of murder or agression are usually masking underlying fear--this includes both civil life and wartime, but only the latter form is "forgiven."

There were a lot of relatives of 9/11 victims who forgave the attackers and stood up publicly against the war on Afghanistan but those few voices were muted in the swell of patriotic us vs. them feelings. Imagine how difficult it must be to forgive on a scale like that!

So-called "curious minds" sometimes would rather NOT know. Most of us (speaking for myself) are usually superficial and aren't interested in what the underlying intention of a particular action is--especially if that person is a social outcast or an enemy. But everyone has good intentions. Osama bin Laden, Hitler or our spouses. We just have to make the effort to look behind and underneath their troublesome behavior and find the good, underlying intention. When you find that, then you can understand, have empathy and perhaps teach them how to satisfy that good intention using a better action.

"God makes his sun to shine both on the evil and the good and sends his rain on the just and the unjust."

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The content is different, but the process is the same. It looks like the old "holiness code" of the Old Testament being flaunted by Jesus. In a society (and religion) infused with "purity" issues and laws, some things "don't belong" with other things. There were strict rules about behavior which Jesus walked around breaking.

Socially, he tipped over the tables in the temple (so to speak) by traveling with, touching and hanging out with the unclean and marginalized of his day. Definitely "risky behavior." He also seems to have loved parties and celebrations.

Today's homophobic sensibilities come from the same mindset: certain things "belong together" in this culture, and some things "obviously" do not.

Homosexuals? Eeeww! Don't go there!

Most don't....

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
They might be stupid, unthinking, or gay.
(Or they just might be heterosexual and enjoy dressing up in a nurses' uniform and talking bawdy or chewing gum that's already been chewed by midgets)

.Ant

I have only one problem with "The Parable of the Good Queer": A Samaritan might be a righteous worshipper of God, and still be called a Samaritan. Whereas a queer is necessarily perverse.

Originally posted by aikido7
"In other words.... it is hateful to not rebuke your neighbors sin."
This sounds like pretzel logic to me. The "in other words" show that the original words weren't good enough. The same thing happened to Jesus' words as time went on.

Knight's words were perfectly logical, and didn't add any meaning whatsoever. "Open rebuke is better than hidden love." It is less loving to not rebuke - not rebuking shows that you don't care.

Originally posted by Knight
Again... should our love and acceptance include pedophiles, rapists and murderers?
Yes, it certainly should.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Were it not for God's love and acceptance towards us when we were still sinners - perverse, murdering and adulterating, we would still be dead, slaves to sin.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by .Ant
I have only one problem with "The Parable of the Good Queer": A Samaritan might be a righteous worshipper of God, and still be called a Samaritan. Whereas a queer is necessarily perverse.

Knight's words were perfectly logical, and didn't add any meaning whatsoever. "Open rebuke is better than hidden love." It is less loving to not rebuke - not rebuking shows that you don't care.

Yes, it certainly should.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Were it not for God's love and acceptance towards us when we were still sinners - perverse, murdering and adulterating, we would still be dead, slaves to sin.

"Not rebuking shows you don't CARE????"

It is an interesting idea that "Open rebuke is better than hidden love" and other sayings get bandied about as something from the Bible and thus must be taken seriously by Christians. I am just surprised to hear that from you, I guess. With some of the postings I see here, perhaps the faith can truly be changed. We will finally find a Jesus we can make in our own image. How about:

"Hate your enemies"

"Turn the other cheek...NOT!"

"God wants you to be RICH!"

"Kill those who offend you!"

"Zygotes are people, too!"

"The poor?? To HELL with the poor!"

If we say it, write it and post it often enough, maybe people will begin to believe it.

A parable, by its very nature, is not logical. It is not rational. It is not dogmatic. It is not propositional or linear. It is a parable. This linguistic form is the authentic test of Jesus' distinctive speech and teaching which has survived in the New Testament. Studying the gospels carefully--as Thomas Jefferson did and using his own words here-- it is easy to seperate the "diamonds" from the "dung heap."

NOTHING Jesus says indicates that homosexuality is "necessarily perverse." Not even the OT holiness code says THAT!

And Paul himself apparently saw no value in pointing out what Jesus said and did. Aside from a proscription on divorce and perhaps a few other allusions, Paul says nothing about Jesus earthly life (He does mention he was "born of a woman"). Paul was concerned with communicating the meaning of Jesus death to him. Much of his work was to spread the word of his vision, taken from a mix of his auditory experiences on the way to Damascus and his attempt at settling disputes among members of the new movement. Clearly, Paul's ideas weren't normative for the faith, but the emperor put a squelch on all other forms three centuries later.

These other forms are closer to what Jesus actually taught, rather than what others taught about him.

And you have to remember that Paul was a terrible writer. Important insights, but poor Greek. Don't get too attatched to his specific phrasing. He tended to get lost in his own words.

Samaritans were seen as "perverse" worshippers of God. But please don't take my word for this. Investigate what you read and hear on your own. For more on this, see any detailed history of first-century Jewish politics and religion. My point still is, Jesus was using the word as a stand-in for the enemy, the feared, the other, the tribal outsider.

Fill in the blank: "the Parable of the Good_________" The short aphorism about the speck in one's brother's eye and the plank of wood in our own is also relevant here. Through the years we have deadened our minds to the orignial shock value of Jesus' parables. But no longer can we see the Samaritan parable as simply the happy story of "how to be a good neighbor." Thanks to increasing appreciation of Jesus' teachings by bible scholars, the story becomes a profound look at how God's help sometimes comes from unexpected places and in unexpected times--part of Jesus' vision of the Kingdom of God.

Last edited:

.Ant

The Bible says homosexuality is a perversion, an offence against God and each other.

The Bible says homosexuality is a perversion, an offence against God and each other.

"Not rebuking shows you don't CARE????"

It is an interesting idea that "Open rebuke is better than hidden love" and other sayings get bandied about as something from the Bible and thus must be taken seriously by Christians. I am just surprised to hear that from you, I guess.

Erm...

Better is open rebuke
than hidden love.

Proverbs 27:5

I thought Christians were supposed to take the *whole* Bible seriously, not just "pick 'n' mix" the bits they choose.

NOTHING Jesus says indicates that homosexuality is "necessarily perverse." Not even the OT holiness code says THAT!

No, they just executed the innocent homosexuals for no reason...

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

:rolleyes:

And you have to remember that Paul was a terrible writer. Important insights, but poor Greek. Don't get too attatched to his specific phrasing. He tended to get lost in his own words.

It's not "specific phrasing" we're talking about here. It's the very essence of his message:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

.Ant

Heads-up to the mods

Heads-up to the mods

The topic of this discussion has completely changed, so the thread should be moved.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
No--you are essentially correct. Much of the Holiness Code and some of Paul's writings are concerned with same-sex behavior proscriptions.

karstkid

After observing this forum I have come to several conclusions. One. This forum is supported by close friends and allies of Bob Enyart. Two. All of his cohorts believe in his book “The Plot” which is nothing more than an attempt to explain the convoluted theology and eschatology of a belief system known as Ultradispensationalism. Bob Enyart is an Ultradispensationalist. Ultradispensationalism has numerous aberrant beliefs. It is not in the mainstream of Evangelical Christianity. Three. Bob’s homophobia is part and parcel of his schizophrenic belief system. Many of the Ultradispensationalist churches have the word “Grace” in their name. But, with the hardness of heart of Bob and his ilk shows toward some, one would hardly believe it. Bob and his cohorts would be quick to quote this verse.

“but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.”” 1 Peter 1:15-16

We should live holy lives. But, as I see it Bob and his comrades need this verse.

“He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” 1 John 4:8

But Bob’s cohorts will quote some verse (probably OT) to counteract the impact and importance of 1 John 4:8.

Now let’s set the record straight. Homosexuality is sin. Adultery is sin. Murder is sin. Rape is sin. Fornication is sin. Lying is sin. Using the Lord’s name in vain is sin. Dishonoring your parents is sin. Lust is sin. Saying to someone “you fool” is a sin. Etc. etc.etc. You probably are getting the picture. A fitting verse is this one.

“For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.” James 2:10

The following verse also applies to Bob and company’s extreme judgementalism.

“For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.” James 2:13

Jesus had mercy and compassion on the woman caught in adultery. Yet, He said “Go and sin no more.”

With the attitude of Bob and his buddies they may have ignored Jesus and stoned her. That is the attitude he has toward homosexuals.

Jesus truly did love the sinner but hated the sin.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” John 3:16-17

But, Bob and friends might say. “A repentant homosexual could come to Christ. But, the vast majority of them are unrepentant” True enough. But, let’s look at some numbers. The percentages of homosexuals in the USA are 1% to 1.5%. Out of 287 million Americans that’s only 2.8 million or so homosexuals. That leaves over 284 million non-homosexual Americans. Out of 284 million non-homosexual Americans there are many scores of millions that would be defiant to God and unrepentant. Yet, you make it as though the homosexuals are the only ones that are unrepentant and defiant. The truth is that the more one get into sin, any sin, the more that sin has a grip on us. Therefore sin will make us more defiant and unrepentant to God.

Ted Turner is not homosexual. Yet, he is unrepentant and hates Christianity. In the 5th century AD St. Patrick tried to evangelize the Irish chief who enslaved him. Before the chieftain threw himself in the fire he said that ‘I’d rather die a pagan than a Christian.’ His sin was devotion to the occult.

One other thing, condemnation of homosexuals will not bring them to the Lord. Yes they need to hear a message of repentance but more than anything they really need to hear the Gospel message of hope and the love of Jesus. Most people I know became Christians when they heard about the love of God than the wrath of God. St. John says “We love because He first loved us.”

Finally, I certainly hope that Bob is not tangled up with that horrible group known for their motto “God hates fags”. If he is, then I pray that Bob’s whole ministry closes down. That group from some Baptist church in Topeka Kansas is so evil in what they do and say I can truly say that it is not from God but from the Devil.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by karstkid
Ultradispensationalism has numerous aberrant beliefs.
Such as?

It is not in the mainstream of Evangelical Christianity.
And that's a bad thing?

Bob’s homophobia is part and parcel of his schizophrenic belief system.
In what way is Bob's belief system "schizophrenic?"

We should live holy lives. But, as I see it Bob and his comrades need this verse.

“He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” 1 John 4:8

But Bob’s cohorts will quote some verse (probably OT) to counteract the impact and importance of 1 John 4:8.
Wrong: "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil . . ." - (Romans 12:9) Yet another New Testament verse on why good Christians are supposed to be judgmental.

Jesus truly did love the sinner but hated the sin.
Will God send only people's sins to Hell or will He send people themselves to Hell?

The truth is that the more one get into sin, any sin, the more that sin has a grip on us. Therefore sin will make us more defiant and unrepentant to God.
Does this include the sin of worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance and Political Correctness?

One other thing, condemnation of homosexuals will not bring them to the Lord. Yes they need to hear a message of repentance but more than anything they really need to hear the Gospel message of hope and the love of Jesus.
I disagree. The Gospel message is useless to a person who feels he is not a sinner. Christ Himself said, " The ones who are whole do not need a physician, but the ones who are sick" (Mat. 9:12). Most homosexuals do not believe they are "sick." We need to convince them that they are sick.

St. John says “We love because He first loved us.”
Exactly, and Luke 7:47 says, "But to whom little is forgiven, he loves little." If a person is going to have a great amount of biblical love, that person must first realize the huge amount that he has been forgiven.

Finally, I certainly hope that Bob is not tangled up with that horrible group known for their motto “God hates fags”. If he is, then I pray that Bob’s whole ministry closes down. That group from some Baptist church in Topeka Kansas is so evil in what they do and say I can truly say that it is not from God but from the Devil.
But God does hate fags.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus speaks of a loving father, even to the wicked.

He speaks of God as "unclean" in the parable of the leaven.

Jesus was a teacher and storyteller.

Paul was a preacher, letter-writer and theologian.

There is no evidence that Paul knew Jesus other than an auditory experience described in two different ways in both Luke and Acts.

Jesus was obviously labeled as unclean because of his associations with lepers, whores and other outcasts of his day.

Many people saw God in his words and actions.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by .Ant
But God also hates liars, hypocrites, the lazy, and the lukewarm.
But God didn't tell governments to execute liars, hypocrites, the lazy or the lukewarm.

.Ant

I don't think it makes much difference, especially under the new covenant, where even thinking of adultery is adultery.

Status
Not open for further replies.