The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

One Eyed Jack

Methinks the boy doth protest too much...

Let's face it shima -- if you were truly secure in your atheism, you wouldn't waste your time arguing with theists. You're simply battling your own self-doubts.

shima

>>if you were truly secure in your atheism, you wouldn't waste your time arguing with theists.<<

Well, I don't considder myself to have the "whole truth" of things. I don't considder it "a waste of time". Its more a form of entertainment to satisfy my curiosity towards other people.

But then again, perhaps you are not secure in your religion either. If you were, you wouldn't be dodging my points.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by shima
>>if you were truly secure in your atheism, you wouldn't waste your time arguing with theists.<<

Well, I don't considder myself to have the "whole truth" of things.

Not many people do, except teenagers perhaps...

I don't considder it "a waste of time". Its more a form of entertainment to satisfy my curiosity towards other people.

What sort of curiosity does it satisfy? What exactly is it you're trying to figure out?

But then again, perhaps you are not secure in your religion either.

Hey, it's not like I log onto any atheist boards. You're the one that's come to a theology forum to argue with people you disagree with.

If you were, you wouldn't be dodging my points.

What points have I dodged?

Last edited:

shima

>>Not many people do, except teenagers perhaps...<<

Or most christians.....

>>What sort of curiosity does it satisfy?<<

Insight into the processes and workings of the human mind.

>>Hey, it's not like I log onto any atheist boards.<<

So? Hanging out on an atheist board doesn't confirm/deny your security in a particular faith. I come here because this board has different viewpoints on religion (christianity being the most common). However, the people here do have different viewpoints, different arguements to support them and different interpretations of the bible. Now, if I wanted to feel secure in my atheism, I'd seek out an atheist board where everyone would agree with me. But that is neither very insightfull nor very informative. I already know what kind of viewpoint they have.

>>What points have I dodged?<<

You didn't respond to any of my awnsers to The Big Questions (tm).

RogerB

Obviously something well beyond your meager ability to understand, laddie.

There it is again! Can you hear it?

Buzz....buzz....buzz....why am I here?.....buzz....what does it all mean?....buzz....who am I?....buzz....buzz....

shima

RogerB:
>>Only an atheist would see a majority as losing.<<

Majority is defined as more than half. Since about 33% of the population is christian, I woulnd't call that a majority.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Some religionists on this board have the idea that it is appropriate to make up meanings for words as they go along. It really weakens their apologetic efforts by confusing the communication...

RogerB

Some atheists (well, there are only a few to begin with so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about) post lies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Some atheists (well, there are only a few to begin with so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about) post lies.

Got any proof, or is this merely another unfounded religionist assertion? :think:

RogerB

Got any proof

make up meanings for words

Go to www.webster.com. Type in the word "majority". In case you can't handle it, here's what you should get back:

Main Entry: ma·jor·i·ty
Pronunciation: m&-'jor-&-tE, -'jär-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Date: 1552
1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater
2 a : the age at which full civil rights are accorded b : the status of one who has attained this age
3 a : a number greater than half of a total b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : MARGIN c : the preponderant quantity or share
4 : the group or political party whose votes preponderate
5 : the military office, rank, or commission of a major
- majority adjective

I have bolded the meaning I quoted in my previous post.

In addition to a :zakath: this makes you a liar.