The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Good for you, Jay. But I wouldn't take a copy of your book if you promoed me one.

...Although this table is a bit wobbly, how many pages is it again?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Z Man
What's the matter guys: afraid you might learn something from Jay's book? ;)
If it was anybody else, anybody at all, I might deign to look at it...

Skeptic

Re: The Ever Present Problem of Atheism

Re: The Ever Present Problem of Atheism

I have not read but the first entry in this thread.

Anyway, ...

Originally posted by Freak
This part was so true:

Atheism also fails to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, for it rejects the existence of an eternal unchanging Mind. Atheism cannot offer man any eternal significance. Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.
My reply:

Christianity also fails to adequately explain whether there really exists anything "eternal," such as "unchanging truths," or "an eternal unchanging Mind." Christianity cannot offer man anything but an irrational hope for some kind of "eternal significance." Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, in the eyes of Christianity, even though there is no rational reason to believe in eternal absolutes. For all we REALLY know, our accomplishments do indeed die with the death of the universe, as the universe is everything, and there probably is no ultimate purpose in our universe, which is very probably void of any eternal God.

RogerB

Temporary meaning in life is insufficient

Not insufficient - merely insignificant when compared to eternity.

For all we REALLY know, our accomplishments do indeed die with the death of the universe, as the universe is everything, and there probably is no ultimate purpose in our universe, which is very probably void of any eternal God.

This is what you believe?! You must be suicidal. Please call someone - anyone - for help.

shima

>>Not insufficient - merely insignificant when compared to eternity.<<

Ofcourse, eternity doesn't exist because it is a concept of your mind.

>>This is what you believe?! You must be suicidal. Please call someone - anyone - for help.<<

Why? He's quite enjoying life as far as I can tell. Life is an experience, you might want to try it for a while instead of hiding under the wings of your God (mommy).

RogerB

She told him she'd rather fix her make-up;
than try to fix what's goin on
but the problem keeps on callin even with the cell-phone gone
She told him that she believes in livin,
bigger than she's livin now
But her world keeps spinnin backwards, and upside-down
Don't say so-long, and through a cell-phone,
Don't spend today away, cause today will soon be

Gone, like yesterday is gone,
like history is gone,
just try and prove me wrong,
and pretend like you're immortal.

She said, He said live like no tomorrow;
every day we borrow, brings us one step closer
to the edge in a fantasy where's your treasure?
who's your hope? forget the world, and lose your soul
She pretends like she pretends like she's immortal,
Don't say so-long, you're not the far gone,
this could be your big chance to make-up,
today will soon be

Gone, like yesterday is gone
like history is gone,
the world keeps spinnin on
, you're going, going, gone,
like summer break is gone,
like saturday is gone,
just try and prove me wrong, you pretend like you're immortal
(you're immortal) you're immortal (you're immortal) ha-ah

we are not infinite we are not permanent nothing's immediate
we're so comforted in our accomplishments look at our decadence

gone, (gone) like Frank Sinatra, (gone)
like Elvis and his mom (gone)
like Al Pachino's cash, (gone)
nothing lasts in this life; (gone)
My high school dreams are gone (gone)
My childhood sweets are gone (gone)
Life is a day that doesn't last (gone)
for long (gone)
Life is more than money (gone)
Time was never money (gone)
Time was never cash (gone)
Life is still more than girls (gone)
Life is more than hundred-dollar bills (gone)
and little tom fills (gone)
Life is more than fame (gone),
and rock and roll (gone),
and films (gone)
all the riches of the kings and the pinwheels (gone)

we've got information in the information age,
but do we know what life is?
outside of our convenient Lexus cages?
She said, He said live like no tomorrow,
every moment that we borrow,
brings us closer to the God who's not short on cash

Hey Bono, I'm glad you asked,
Life is still worth living, Life is still worth living

Z Man

Atheists live a sad and depressing life....

Atheists live a sad and depressing life....

I typed in "atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair" in Yahoo search and a list of websites came up about her that describe her life as depressing and void. I particularly find this article interesting. This profound and famous leader of atheism, persay, conjured up a vacuum so deep in her soul by rejecting God out of her life that it made her miserable and depressed. Life without God is a life without love; and that just goes against all human nature. That's not the way it's meant to be......

The Deepest Cry Of The Human Heart

In 1963, the United States Supreme Court outlawed prayer in America's public schools. One of the plaintiffs in that case was America's best-known and most visible atheist, Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Over the years, she was a vocal proponent of atheism and an aggressive campaigner against religion in public life. Then one day she vanished, leaving her sports car in an airport parking lot and $500,000. missing from the American Atheists Association bank account. Her disappearance still remains an unsolved mystery. The Internal Revenue Service seized Mrs. O'Hair's home to pay her creditors and some back taxes. One of the items at auction were her diaries. And one entry said,

"The whole idiotic hopelessness of human relations descends upon me. Tonight, I cried and cried, but even then feeling nothing." - Madalyn Murray O'Hair

I was really struck by four words that Madalyn Murray O'Hair reportedly wrote at least half a dozen times over the years,

"Somebody, somewhere, love me." - Madalyn Murray O'Hair

That cry for love in Mrs. O'Hair's diary touches something inside of me. In a way, her cry is the cry of every human heart. "Somebody, somewhere, love me."
Sad; it truely is.... :(

shima

>>Life without God is a life without love; <<

Absolute NONSENSE. Love is an emotion generated by people, not given to us by some imaginable sky faery.

I'm sorry to hear she was miserable and depressed. If she was unloved in all her life, I can imagine she was feeling depressed. But it has nothing to do with being an atheist. I know plenty of atheists who enjoy life, love and care about people, and have good friendships with people. I, for one.

Skeptic

Originally posted by RogerB
This is what you believe?! You must be suicidal. Please call someone - anyone - for help.
I don't need the Bible or a mythical God to give me purpose. I find purpose in my life, as does everyone. But, this purpose is not one that is absolute for all eternity. My purposes have changed during the course of my life, and I'm sure they will continue to do so. I also find meaning in my life. But, I find no rational reason to believe in some mythical ultimate eternal meaning.

Even for Christians (though many will not admit it), the things that make most people happy have nothing to do with belief in ultimate purposes.

Z Man

Originally posted by shima
>>Life without God is a life without love; <<

Absolute NONSENSE. Love is an emotion generated by people, not given to us by some imaginable sky faery.

I'm sorry to hear she was miserable and depressed. If she was unloved in all her life, I can imagine she was feeling depressed. But it has nothing to do with being an atheist. I know plenty of atheists who enjoy life, love and care about people, and have good friendships with people. I, for one.
Shima,

You may do a good job of showing happiness or whatnot on the outside, but none us but you and God know how you feel on the inside...

Human love will never fulfill the void that exists inside every human's heart. It's just not satisfying enough because human love fails us. Only a love that is eternal and flawless and overflowing and real as God's love will ever fulfill a human's desires for absolute love.

RogerB

Every point of view has another angle
And every angle has its merit
But all comes down to faith
That's the way I see it

You can say that love is not divine and
You can say that life is not eternal
"All we have is know"
But I don't believe it

There's a God-shaped hole in all of us
And the restless soul is searching
There's a God-shaped hole in all of us
And it's a void only he can fill

Does the world seem gray with empty longing
Wearing every shade of cynical
And do you ever feel that
There is something missing?

That's my point of view...

- Plumb

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Z Man
Shima,

You may do a good job of showing happiness or whatnot on the outside, but none us but you and God know how you feel on the inside...
Translation: You are not really happy, you just think you are...:chuckle: