Should the Rep System be Removed?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Like a trust fund baby talking about the virtue of capitalism. :eek:

Stuff happens.

If those who gamed the system had exercised that same level of control no one would care.

I don't care.

Or, those who don't care to publicly participate in something they find objectionable could be allowed to withdraw from public participation by not displaying the number. Then a good many get the next best thing to what they want.

1Ti 5:9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't give them to me.
Okay. You know, I never said you did. In fact I haven't said an unkind word about any particular person here on the point. And I like you just fine. :)

But the whole, "it's their problem" approach still isn't a great idea.

It's like this, people we both know and like, some of them anyway, robbed everyone who is forced to participate in this purportedly unrigged game of a fair opportunity. Then they spread some of the proceeds among a few in their larger inside circle.

You were one of those recipients. When you shift the problem onto the shoulders of those who have a legitimate complaint you step closer to those who decided to take advantage and I don't think you belong there.

StanJ

Should the Rep System be Removed? I think it promotes egoism.?
So does your brain, should it be removed?

Actually a brain that is centered on Christ does NOT promote egoism...only Satan does that. We are instructed to avoid the very appearance of evil or egoism so another good reason to nix the rep system as it presently is.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Okay. You know, I never said you did. In fact I haven't said an unkind word about any particular person here on the point. And I like you just fine. :)

But the whole, "it's their problem" approach still isn't a great idea.

It's like this, people we both know and like, some of them anyway, robbed everyone who is forced to participate in this purportedly unrigged game of a fair opportunity. Then they spread some of the proceeds among a few in their larger inside circle.

You were one of those recipients. When you shift the problem onto the shoulders of those who have a legitimate complaint you step closer to those who decided to take advantage and I don't think you belong there.

The whole pretending they were just like everyone else kind of got blown up by Lighthouse, but the biggest illustration was seeing someone who hadn't posted in months suddenly gain a thousand points plus - just like that. And a handful of posts later, that thousand had ballooned to multiples of thousands. And that was early on, before they could point to their combined weight being responsible for their numbers. I don't buy that everyone started hunting down old posts to rep. There's a member list, and there's a system for going down the line. I said a couple times in the other thread that if a poster thought it was unjust, that there was always the possibility to opt out. Obviously no one thinks it's unjust, and they enjoy, as Lighthouse said, being the "in group." Such a grossly and intentionally unbalanced rep system reflects pretty poorly on the whole concept of an evangelically-minded website, and I think that's pretty sad.

journey

Actually a brain that is centered on Christ does NOT promote egoism...only Satan does that. We are instructed to avoid the very appearance of evil or egoism so another good reason to nix the rep system as it presently is.

I don't think that the rep system has ANY appearance of evil or egoism. If you do, don't give positive reps for posts that you like. I think that I've given you positive reps twice. Would you have preferred that I didn't? I wouldn't want you to think that you were participating in evil, so I won't give you any more.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I don't think that the rep system has ANY appearance of evil or egoism. If you do, don't give positive reps for posts that you like. I think that I've given you positive reps twice. Would you have preferred that I didn't? I wouldn't want you to think that you were participating in evil, so I won't give you any more.

Most forum has pos rep system, it does not include neg reps like this forum.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TAMBORA
1st%20prize%202_zpsrsgqtxvi.jpg

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

The ego is more, no less, than the "I" which is saying this is me/:chuckle:

God's Truth

Many are called few are chosen.

If I only get a few likes, then that might actually show more than your many likes.

StanJ

The ego is more, no less, than the "I" which is saying this is me/:chuckle:

That may be, but the point was about EGOSIM, not the ego. In either case, putting Jesus first in our lives, or at least trying to live that way, is a sure cure for the ego and egoism.

StanJ

If I get many likes, then that might actually show more than your few likes.

So you post an average of about 4 posts a day, and I post and average of 22 a day. You now have over 45000 points and I have almost 400. I have 22 reps on my profile which is about 18 points per rep. Divide your points on your profile by the number of reps on your User CP and tell us how many points you are getting per rep.