God, the devil, and your neighbor

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
The following information was taken from netscape.com.

Is There a Devil? Find Out Who Says So

Look to your left. Look to your right. Chances are both people you see believe in the devil and hell.

We are a nation of believers. A Harris Poll surveyed 2,201 American adults about their religious beliefs and found out some fascinating information. Most Christians--not surprisingly--believe in God, the survival of the soul after death, miracles, heaven, the Virgin birth, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But more than half of all adults also believe in ghosts. About a third believe in astrology. And more than a quarter believe they were reincarnated from other people who walked on this Earth generations ago.

This is what your friends and neighbors believe in:

* God: 90 percent
* Miracles: 89 percent
* Survival of the soul after death: 84 percent
* Resurrection of Christ: 80 percent
* Virgin birth: 77 percent
* Devil: 68 percent
* Hell: 69 percent
* Ghosts: 51 percent
* Astrology: 31 percent
* Reincarnation: 27 percent

Where will you go after you die?

* Expect to go to heaven: 63 percent
* Expect to go to hell: 1 percent
* Expect to go to purgatory: 6 percent
* Expect to go someplace else: 11 percent
* Don't have a clue: 18 percent

Here are some fun facts from The Harris Poll:

* Women are more likely than men to hold both Christian and non-Christian beliefs.
* African-Americans are more likely than whites and Hispanics to hold Christian beliefs.
* Republicans are more likely to hold Christian beliefs than members of other political parties.
* The level of religious belief is generally highest among people without a college education and lowest among those with postgraduate degrees.
* Not all people who call themselves Christians actually hold conventional Christian beliefs. For example, 1 percent of Christians do not believe in God and 8 percent do not believe in the survival of the soul after death.
* More than a quarter of those who say they are not Christian do believe in the resurrection of Jesus and the Virgin birth.

--Cathryn Conroy

(PS, I'm not Cathryn Conroy, that's who wrote the article.)

Last edited by a moderator:

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
* The level of religious belief is generally highest among people without a college education and lowest among those with postgraduate degrees.

Is this saying that only less intelligent people believe in God?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ibowatjesusfeet

Is this saying that only less intelligent people believe in God?

Not in my opinion. It says that the majority of people who have graduated college (with the exception of Christian colleges) have been in the public education system too long and are brain-washed by political correctness.

(And, this is coming from someone who has no college degree. :D)

Freak

More than a quarter of those who say they are not Christian do believe in the resurrection of Jesus and the Virgin birth.

Very interesting?!

philosophizer

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Not in my opinion. It says that the majority of people who have graduated college (with the exception of Christian colleges) have been in the public education system too long and are brain-washed by political correctness.

From my experience with non-believers I knew in college, it seemed more like an arrogance and pride in their own mental abilities kinda thing. Like they felt confident they could figure out everything they needed for themselves and come up with their own explanations for everything.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
The problem for the Christians is that those folks probably believe in more than one virgin birth...

They also believe that any number of people have been raised from the dead, as well as Jesus of Nazareth.

Their beliefs are not exclusive, but inclusive.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Freak
More than a quarter of those who say they are not Christian do believe in the resurrection of Jesus and the Virgin birth.

Very interesting?!
I doubt the accuracy of the poll. Here's why. I've had similar discussions with people and sometimes I get the impression they are telling me not what they personally believe but rather what the "correct" answer is. They were saying (in essence) "The bible or Christianity or public opinion says Jesus rose from the dead."

With my suspicions raised I clarify: "What I'm really asking you is do you personally believe that Jesus actually existed and was actually raised from the dead as a literal historical fact? Is it as much of a literal event as last year's Super Bowl?

Often they would respond with, "Oh, so that's what you're asking me. No, I don't believe that."

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Actually Jefferson, the point you make is that it's the validity of the poll that should be questioned, not accuracy. You're specifically writing about content validity - does a response to a question mean what we think it means.

Harris polls are nothing if not accurate. Validity depends to a great extent on their client and how badly they muck up the question design...

Goose

So, doing some math and statistics with those percentages, there really is only 1% of the population that has solid Christian beliefs. :D

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Goose
So, doing some math and statistics with those percentages, there really is only 1% of the population that has solid Christian beliefs. :D
Hmmm...

That puts about 60 million people in heaven.

Looks like the other 5.94 billion are hosed...

NuMessJew

Re: God, the devil, and your neighbor

The following information was taken from netscape.com.

Is There a Devil? Find Out Who Says So

Look to your left. Look to your right. Chances are both people you see believe in the devil and hell.

We are a nation of believers. A Harris Poll surveyed 2,201 American adults about their religious beliefs and found out some fascinating information. Most Christians--not surprisingly--believe in God, the survival of the soul after death, miracles, heaven, the Virgin birth, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But more than half of all adults also believe in ghosts. About a third believe in astrology. And more than a quarter believe they were reincarnated from other people who walked on this Earth generations ago.

This is what your friends and neighbors believe in:

* God: 90 percent
* Miracles: 89 percent
* Survival of the soul after death: 84 percent
* Resurrection of Christ: 80 percent
* Virgin birth: 77 percent
* Devil: 68 percent
* Hell: 69 percent
* Ghosts: 51 percent
* Astrology: 31 percent
* Reincarnation: 27 percent

Where will you go after you die?

* Expect to go to heaven: 63 percent
* Expect to go to hell: 1 percent
* Expect to go to purgatory: 6 percent
* Expect to go someplace else: 11 percent
* Don't have a clue: 18 percent

Here are some fun facts from The Harris Poll:

* Women are more likely than men to hold both Christian and non-Christian beliefs.
* African-Americans are more likely than whites and Hispanics to hold Christian beliefs.
* Republicans are more likely to hold Christian beliefs than members of other political parties.
* Not all people who call themselves Christians actually hold conventional Christian beliefs. For example, 1 percent of Christians do not believe in God and 8 percent do not believe in the survival of the soul after death.
* More than a quarter of those who say they are not Christian do believe in the resurrection of Jesus and the Virgin birth.

--Cathryn Conroy

(PS, I'm not Cathryn Conroy, that's who wrote the article.)

O.K you believe in a Devil who tortures sinners whom he loves, and they love him, to please a God he hates?
How does that makes any sense?

NuMessJew

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
Re: Re: God, the devil, and your neighbor

Re: Re: God, the devil, and your neighbor

Originally posted by NuMessJew

O.K you believe in a Devil who tortures sinners whom he loves, and they love him, to please a God he hates?
How does that makes any sense?

NuMessJew

????

I don't believe that. I just posted an article that I found intresting.

NuMessJew

Re: Re: Re: God, the devil, and your neighbor

Re: Re: Re: God, the devil, and your neighbor

????

I don't believe that. I just posted an article that I found intresting.

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"O.K you believe in a Devil who tortures sinners whom he loves, and they love him, to please a God he hates?
How does that makes any sense?"

Glad to hear, but I posted that hoping to hear from those who do believe in this silly idea.

Thanks,
NuMesJew

NuMessJew

Originally posted by ebenz47037

"(with the exception of Christian colleges) have been in the public education system too long and are brain-washed by political correctness."

Is it possible that they have been enlightend? That they see the facts differently than you. Why do you say they have been brainwashed?

NuMessJew

NuMessJew

Originally posted by Freak

Very interesting?!

Those same people believe in ghosts and aliens.

NuMessJew

Goose

Is it possible that they have been enlightend? That they see the facts differently than you. Why do you say they have been brainwashed?

NuMessJew
Pub schooling is anything but enlightening. It sucks the very life out of you.