Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: ARCHIVE: Free From Sin - 1 John

Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps you idiots will believe this but i doubt it 1 John 3:8 *He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    9 *Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    Go ahead and keep on sinning you idiots. You are a sinner and sin or you are righteous and not a sinner. You guys sure are stupid.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRASH
    Sozo, I would like to see your OP if you are inclined to re-post it. If not, that's okay too.
    Don't get your hopes up.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo

Knight has pointed out that the word sin has a range of meaning not just in our culture but within the Bible itself. So what's to be gained by narrowing the definition and blasting anyone who doesn't do likewise? It seems to me that it just creates confusion and can even create an unnecessary stumbling block for the lost.
    It is a bit silly to say that there is one and only one exact biblical definition to any single English word, since the Bible was not written in English.

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,214 Times in 10,099 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godrulz
    If a tribe condones murder and cannibalism, it does not change the nature of their sin or the moral law of God. Just because humans do not have a law does not mean that God's laws are not written in stone and in our hearts. I think you are confusing truths about initial justification with experiences subsequent to salvation (check the context of proof texts).
    Wrong application, moron.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Which areas should I revisit? Perhaps I need to clarify or communicate better?
    No. I think you are very good at communicating and I like the way you often quote scripture to make your points.

Our biggest disagreement (and I think you know this) is dispensationalism. To me it is so obvious and somehow you don't see it. This fundamental difference is the source of 10's if not hundreds areas that you and I disagree. Even with all of the changes I have been through in my Christian walk, I have always been dispensational. First, Acts 2 then Acts 9 after I read the Plot. I think I asked you this before and you said you had read it, but, have you read the Plot? Also, I am open theist. This would be another source of several disagreements regarding the nature of God. BTW, I'm not really interested in debateing these subjects too much because I don't have the time to devote to it. I have a great wife and 5 kids and I would rather spend the majority of my time with them and working to support them.

In Him,
    CRASH
    Psalms 58:10
    The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.

CONFESSION OF AN EX-ABORTIONIST

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All men have fallen short; and the name Christian may not be the password

So how can we be out of our sins?

For he who is in his sins has not seen my face neither knows God
    Oh but I did this and I did that; depart for I never new you

No measuring rod used for others; No measuring rod given for us; spared

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,214 Times in 10,099 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight-
    In the interest of brevity, I shall answer as much as I can in a short post. I agree that it is pointless to try to explain to those who are not in Christ that Christians do not commit sin. They would not understand me, and would most likely stop listening before I could explain. However, I believe that a discussion between Christians can be fruitful. I have found three Biblical definitions of the word sin. And I have also found numerous Scriptures that show how Christians do not fall into any of those categories.

Is it still wrong to do these things? Yes. Do Christians still do some of them? Yes. Are they identified as sins in the eyes of God when someone who is not identified as a sinner does them? No.

And abortion is beside the point. Of course, e4e gave a decent answer. If it is illegal for someone outside of this country, but not illegal for us, if we are diplomats in that country, then it is not illegal for us to do while in that country [abortion is not the specific subject of this illustration]. And assuming there are no laws that should not be laws in this other country, then we know that whatever the specific law is, it is still wrong for us to do, though it may not be illegal [a crime]. But the bottom line is that if we are righteous, we will avoid doing it anyway, though it is not illegal for us.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    perhaps you idiots will believe this but i doubt it 1 John 3:8 *He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    9 *Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    Go ahead and keep on sinning you idiots. You are a sinner and sin or you are righteous and not a sinner. You guys sure are stupid.
    It is a difficult passage to exegete, but does not contradict other verses in I John (your interpretation does). One key is the difference between an isolated, unnecessary lapse into a sin by a believer, and the ongoing, habitual, defiant, godless sins and unbelief of an unbeliever (cf. I Cor. 6:9-11 these people go to hell, yet if a believer does one thing, they do not...there is an explanation despite your tendency to wooden literalisms out of context).

Name calling is not necessary for biblical dialogue, you stoopid fool, moron, idiot, jerk
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deardelmar
    It is a bit silly to say that there is one and only one exact biblical definition to any single English word, since the Bible was not written in English.

The Greek language is even more precise with one English word expressed by various Greek words that also have different nuances depending on the context. It is an exegetical fallacy to think all words have only one meaning.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    No. I think you are very good at communicating and I like the way you often quote scripture to make your points.

Our biggest disagreement (and I think you know this) is dispensationalism. To me it is so obvious and somehow you don't see it. This fundamental difference is the source of 10's if not hundreds areas that you and I disagree. Even with all of the changes I have been through in my Christian walk, I have always been dispensational. First, Acts 2 then Acts 9 after I read the Plot. I think I asked you this before and you said you had read it, but, have you read the Plot? Also, I am open theist. This would be another source of several disagreements regarding the nature of God. BTW, I'm not really interested in debateing these subjects too much because I don't have the time to devote to it. I have a great wife and 5 kids and I would rather spend the majority of my time with them and working to support them.

In Him,
    CRASH
    I am an Acts 2 dispensationalist, I suppose. I am also an Open Theist with a family. I have not finished "The Plot", but it is on the desk next to me. I appreciate your posts when you do make them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I am an Acts 2 dispensationalist, I suppose. I am also an Open Theist with a family. I have not finished "The Plot", but it is on the desk next to me. I appreciate your posts when you do make them.
    As student of the word, The Plot should be something of great interest to you. I would like to know your thoughts upon completion.

"I am also an Open Theist with a family." This is encouraging. For some reason I thought you were a Calvinist. Sorry.
    Psalms 58:10
    The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.

CONFESSION OF AN EX-ABORTIONIST

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    As student of the word, The Plot should be something of great interest to you. I would like to know your thoughts upon completion.

"I am also an Open Theist with a family." This is encouraging. For some reason I thought you were a Calvinist. Sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 716 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse
    Knight-
    In the interest of brevity, I shall answer as much as I can in a short post. I agree that it is pointless to try to explain to those who are not in Christ that Christians do not commit sin.
    But not only that... it isn't biblical!

The Bible clearly destroys this view as I have demonstrated on this thread. Paul does not agree with Sozo, you and e4e, plain and simple.

They would not understand me, and would most likely stop listening before I could explain. However, I believe that a discussion between Christians can be fruitful.
    Fruitful maybe. I hope so. I hope you will read the passages I have posted. After reading those verses I think you should change you stance on this issue.

I have found three Biblical definitions of the word sin. And I have also found numerous Scriptures that show how Christians do not fall into any of those categories.
    God and the apostle Paul disagree.

Is it still wrong to do these things? Yes. Do Christians still do some of them? Yes. Are they identified as sins in the eyes of God when someone who is not identified as a sinner does them? No.
    That's where you are dead wrong according to the Bible.

Christians sin. The beauty is, through Christ's work on the cross God covers EVERY sin (past present and future) that is the gospel.

Do you realize that your argument is no more than a fight to call "sin" something else? There is NO payoff to your argument. There is no plus side. Even if you convinced somebody that Christians cannot sin the only thing you would have accomplished is you no longer call rape a "sin" for a Christian, instead you call it a "stupid act" (as e4e acknowledged). What is the point? You would still need to explain that God covers "stupid acts" for those saved by the blood of Christ.

Bottom line is...
    The assertion that Christians cannot sin is biblically inaccurate. Confusing. Pointless. And has no apparent up-side.

Dump it and move on.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    But not only that... it isn't biblical!

The Bible clearly destroys this view as I have demonstrated on this thread. Paul does not agree with Sozo, you and e4e, plain and simple.

Fruitful maybe. I hope so. I hope you will read the passages I have posted. After reading those verses I think you should change you stance on this issue.

God and the apostle Paul disagree.

That's where you are dead wrong according to the Bible.

Christians sin. The beauty is, through Christ's work on the cross God covers EVERY sin (past present and future) that is the gospel.

Do you realize that your argument is no more than a fight to call "sin" something else? There is NO payoff to your argument. There is no plus side. Even if you convinced somebody that Christians cannot sin the only thing you would have accomplished is you no longer call rape a "sin" for a Christian, instead you call it a "stupid act" (as e4e acknowledged). What is the point? You would still need to explain that God covers "stupid acts" for those saved by the blood of Christ.

Bottom line is...
    The assertion that Christians cannot sin is biblically inaccurate. Confusing. Pointless. And has no apparent up-side.

Dump it and move on.
    Give me the three "definitions" that you have gleaned from the scripture.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 716 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    Give me the three "definitions" that you have gleaned from the scripture.
    Uh... maybe you meant to ask Lighthouse that question? After all... it was he who said that not me.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thread Information