User Tag List

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 466

Thread: ARCHIVE: Free From Sin - 1 John

  1. #61
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse
    If there is no law against it, it isn't a crime. Whether or not it should be is beside the point. If there is no law against it, it is not a crime.
    That isn't true and you know it.

    Abortion is legal in this country. There is no law gainst it. Can you really argue it isn't criminal?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  2. #62
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    That isn't true and you know it.

    Abortion is legal in this country. There is no law against it. Can you really argue it isn't criminal?
    Knight, you and I live by a deferent law than does the world. I am going to have to go with Lighthouse on this one. Like you and lighthouse i believe we should work to get the laws to reflect the higher standard but at the moment it is not criminal activity. A standard that opposes God? yes. A standard that is wrong? yes. Should Christians endorse and defend the standard? No. Should Christians actively oppose the standard and remind the world of God's righteous standard? yes. But is it presently criminal in the US? No
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  3. #63
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    Knight, you and I live by a deferent law than does the world. I am going to have to go with Lighthouse on this one. Like you and lighthouse i believe we should work to get the laws to reflect the higher standard but at the moment it is not criminal activity. A standard that opposes God? yes. A standard that is wrong? yes. Should Christians endorse and defend the standard? No. Should Christians actively oppose the standard and remind the world of God's righteous standard? yes. But is it presently criminal in the US? No
    Lighthouse and e4e...

    All the things that are sinful prior to becoming a Christian like rape, murder, adultery etc. are bad right?

    And they are still bad and harmful if done as a Christian right?

    So what does it benefit us arguing that they are not sinful? The best you could do (which Sozo already acknowledged) is change the name of the "bad thing" from "sin" to something else.

    Where is the pay-off? All of this is an unnecessary distraction with little to no benefit for the gospel.

    It's far better to argue to the lost that in Christ all of our sin is forgiven instead of arguing in Christ we don't call adultery a sin, we call it adultery.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  4. #64
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Lighthouse and e4e...

    All the things that are sinful prior to becoming a Christian like rape, murder, adultery etc. are bad right?

    And they are still bad and harmful if done as a Christian right?

    So what does it benefit us arguing that they are not sinful? The best you could do (which Sozo already acknowledged) is change the name of the "bad thing" from "sin" to something else.

    Where is the pay-off? All of this is an unnecessary distraction with little to no benefit for the gospel.

    It's far better to argue to the lost that in Christ all of our sin is forgiven instead of arguing in Christ we don't call adultery a sin, we call it adultery.
    I never said that it was not sin. I never read where lighthouse said that it was not sin. I have never read where SOZO said that it was not sin. Just because something is deemed legal in the world's system and not a criminal activity does not mean that it is not sin.

    The world system is dead to God and does not know God and being dead, how can the world be expected to endorse God's standard. We are in the world and not of the world. This world is a lawless place and endorses its own set of values. That is why good morals never saved anyone and good morals are not evidence of being in Christ. I act righteous because I have been made righteous. I am righteous because I have been given the nature of God through His imparting to me off His seed. This is not metaphor or symbolism but a fact of life. I have received life from the dead! Not a fact according to the world but a fact according to God. I cannot deny my own Father and my Father said that he will not deny me.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  5. #65
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    I never said that it was not sin. I never read where lighthouse said that it was not sin. I have never read where SOZO said that it was not sin. Just because something is deemed legal in the world's system and not a criminal activity does not mean that it is not sin.
    Sozo... and Lighthouse believe that a Christian cannot sin. Period.

    They would say that if a Christian commits adultery or murder or rape they did NOT sin.

    That is the issue of this thread.

    Do you agree with them?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  6. #66
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Sozo... and Lighthouse believe that a Christian cannot sin. Period.

    They would say that if a Christian commits adultery or murder or rape they did NOT sin.

    That is the issue of this thread.

    Do you agree with them?
    Yes, it is the only Biblical stance.. I will change my mind though just as soon as you can prove that the dead can sin, and that Jesus sins and that the seed I received when i was born again of the Father is corrupt seed. Just tell me how a child of God can be opposed to God? Just tell me how a person who is righteous is a sinner. I believe God, not popular Christian dogma. There is no religion in the world that will send you to hell faster that the Christian religion. Most men are religious but most men are going to hell because of it.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  7. #67
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    Yes
    OK, so what do you call the things that Christians might do that would normally be called sins?

    Is there a broad term that describes behaviors like adultery, theft, murder, rape etc, that are performed by a Christian?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  8. #68
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    OK, so what do you call the things that Christians might do that would normally be called sins?

    Is there a broad term that describes behaviors like adultery, theft, murder, rape etc, that are performed by a Christian?
    Yes, actually it is two words. Being stupid. We are commanded to live honorable among men. We do that by honoring God. If men punish us for doing an evil act it brings no glory to God. If men punish us for doing righteously then God is our avenger. We are to suffer for righteousness sake and not for the evil. In this way we honor God. We honor God when we point out the evils of homosexuality and the death that it brings. We do not honor God if we do the very things that bring the wrath of God on this dead world. We have the righteous nature of God and do right because of our nature. We are the light in a dark world and the salt that is poured into the wound of sin. Light cannot be seen by the willfully blind but can be seen by the one searching for the light. If our light does not shin then how will those who search be able to see the way. If our salt has lost its savor then how can the salt perform the function for which it is intended. The healing of sin. We do because we are. Not to justify what or who we are. We are already justified.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  9. #69
    Over 750 post club Ecumenicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    And I pray that one day you will learn to rightly divide the word of truth.

    All prayers on my behalf are welcome!
    1 John 4:7-8 "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love."

  10. #70
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    Yes, actually it is two words. Being stupid. We are commanded to live honorable among men. We do that by honoring God. If men punish us for doing an evil act it brings no glory to God. If men punish us for doing righteously then God is our avenger. We are to suffer for righteousness sake and not for the evil. In this way we honor God. We honor God when we point out the evils of homosexuality and the death that it brings. We do not honor God if we do the very things that bring the wrath of God on this dead world. We have the righteous nature of God and do right because of our nature. We are the light in a dark world and the salt that is poured into the wound of sin. Light cannot be seen by the willfully blind but can be seen by the one searching for the light. If our light does not shin then how will those who search be able to see the way. If our salt has lost its savor then how can the salt perform the function for which it is intended. The healing of sin. We do because we are. Not to justify what or who we are. We are already justified.
    Why do you suppose God didn't inspire Paul to use similar terminology?

    Paul quotes Psalms 4:4 to make a point that letting anger get the best of us is sinful.

    Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.

    In Romans Paul could have said... blessed are the man whose stupid acts are covered and whose stupid acts are not imputed to him but he didn't. Instead he said...

    Romans 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered; Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin.”

    In 1st Corinthians 6 Paul could have said.... "Every stupid act that a man does....." & "but he who commits sexual immorality does a stupid act against his own body" But he didn't, instead he said...

    1Corinthians 6:17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

    Clearly Paul could have used different terminology had it been appropriate to do so.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  11. #71
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    1 Corinthians 10:23 *¶All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

    "all things are lawful" It is lawful for a Christian to do anything on plane earth after he is saved. Why because "all things" are now lawful to him.

    "All things are not expedient" What does the word expedient mean? It can mean advantage, to be better for, bring together, be good, be profitable for. So if we use these differing words then we get a better understanding.

    1. All things are not to my advantage.
    2. All things do not make me better.
    3. All things do not bring us together.
    4. All things are not good.
    5. All things are not profitable to me.

    "all things edify not." What does the word edify mean the word edify means construct, figuratively to confirm, builder or build up, to embolden. Now let's use this word.

    1. All things are not constructive.
    2. All things do not confirm.
    3. All things do not build up.
    4. All things do not embolden

    You put all of it together and the verse would sound something like this. Now remember this is my construct. You may have a different or even a better one.

    ( all things are lawful for me but all things are not profitable for me and are not good in my mission because they do not bring us together. They do not work to my advantage or make me better. All things are lawful for me but all things do not confirm and build up my purpose. They do not embolden me nor do they confirm my mission)
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  12. #72
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Why do you suppose God didn't inspire Paul to use similar terminology?

    Paul quotes Psalms 4:4 to make a point that letting anger get the best of us is sinful.

    Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.

    In Romans Paul could have said... blessed are the man whose stupid acts are covered and whose stupid acts are not imputed to him but he didn't. Instead he said...

    Romans 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered; Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin.”

    In 1st Corinthians 6 Paul could have said.... "Every stupid act that a man does....." & "but he who commits sexual immorality does a stupid act against his own body" But he didn't, instead he said...

    1Corinthians 6:17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

    Clearly Paul could have used different terminology had it been appropriate to do so.
    Remember Knight that the word also means offend. Not oppose. Try useing the word offend or offence and see what it says.

    Every offence that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality offends his own body.


    I didn't know that our fearless leader was also a
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

  13. #73
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    Remember Knight that the word also means offend. Not oppose. Try useing the word offend or offence and see what it says.
    And isn't that exactly my point???

    Since the word "sin" can be used in different ways it's silly to dogmatically attempt to make the word be used in ONLY ONE WAY which is what you, Sozo and Lighthouse are doing.

    It's almost as if you are arguing my point for me.

    Every offence that a man does
    is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality offends his own body.
    There isn't a single respected Bible version that I am aware of that uses the word "offend" instead of "sin" in that verse.

    Is every Bible version including the KJV and the NKJV in error?

    And by the way.... the word in 1st Cor 6:18 is literally translated "sin".

    hamartema; from 264; a sin:—sin (2), sins(2)
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  14. #74
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by elected4ever
    ( all things are lawful for me but all things are not profitable for me and are not good in my mission because they do not bring us together. They do not work to my advantage or make me better. All things are lawful for me but all things do not confirm and build up my purpose. They do not embolden me nor do they confirm my mission)
    I don't disagree with any of that nor do I find it relevant to the discussion.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  15. #75
    Over 2000 post club elected4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    And isn't that exactly my point???

    Since the word "sin" can be used in different ways it's silly to dogmatically attempt to make the word be used in ONLY ONE WAY which is what you, Sozo and Lighthouse are doing.

    It's almost as if you are arguing my point for me.

    [b]There isn't a single respected Bible version that I am aware of that uses the word "offend" instead of "sin" in that verse.

    Is every Bible version including the KJV and the NKJV in error?

    And by the way.... the word in 1st Cor 6:18 is literally translated "sin".

    hamartema; from 264; a sin:—sin (2), sins(2)
    Ah, yes, tradition does play apart and in every translation I have ever read uses the word sin. Point well taken. Using the word sin when applied to a believer gives the wrong impression of what is being said and in my view weakens the real meaning of the word. We as Christians do not sin against our brother we offend them because they are weak and that is offensive behavior to God. It does not mean that we sin. Only sinners sin. There is not one sinner that is a child of god. They are all us to be sinners. God has given to them Of his seed and they cannot sin. (OPPOSE GOD) All sinners are children of the devil and no child of the devil has anything in God. All people who clam to be sinners and at the same time clam to be children of God do not know what they are talking about. This is nothing more than tradition and is an oxymoron.
    Galatians 5:13 ¶For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    The borrower is slave to the linder. What makes this country think it is rich and free?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us