User Tag List

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 466

Thread: ARCHIVE: Free From Sin - 1 John

  1. #16
    BANNED Apologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    The only time i really actively use the letters is to reference St. Peter, and only to show that "bible humpin' fundie hicks" (In honor of Inquisitor) can't use St. Paul because they don't understand him.

    And occassionaly the letter of James to show that Salvation by Faith and faith alone is bull.

  2. #17
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,577
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 697 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    992439
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologist
    And occassionaly the letter of James to show that Salvation by Faith and faith alone is bull.
    And therein lies one of the problems with the Catholic church. They read other peoples mail as it were addressed to them.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  3. #18
    BANNED Apologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    And therein lies one of the problems with the Catholic church. They read other peoples mail as it were addressed to them.

  4. #19
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,577
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 697 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    992439
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo
    Please show me how the logic as laid out is flawed.
    For starters... John 8:34 is written to the circumcision.

    Israel was not sealed. They could indeed lose their salvation. It wasn't until God grafted in the gentiles and brought in the dispensation of the uncircumcision that believers were sealed.

    Therefore when Jesus said... “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin." He meant it.

    After all who was Jesus talking to (specifically) in verse 34?

    John 8:30 As He spoke these words, many believed in Him. 31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” 33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can you say, ‘You will be made free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.

    Jesus was telling BELIEVING JEWS that if they sinned they would become slaves to sin. This is not the message of grace through the Body of Christ.

    Therefore...
    Flawed premise = flawed conclusion.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  5. #20
    Registered User Sozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,619
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    For starters... John 8:34 is written to the circumcision.
    Of course it was. The Gentiles did not have the Law, nor will they ever. So then, why do you think that Gentiles are sinners? Why can Paul say that all have sinned? Why can Paul say to the Gentiles in Romans 6 that they were slaves of sin?

  6. #21
    BANNED Apologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo
    Of course it was. The Gentiles did not have the Law, nor will they ever. So then, why do you think that Gentiles are sinners? Why can Paul say that all have sinned? Why can Paul say to the Gentiles in Romans 6 that they were slaves of sin?
    If i recall correctly, the Gentiles are still bound to the law of Noah.

    Am i wrong in saying that?

  7. #22
    Registered User Sozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,619
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Let's see what Knight says, first.

  8. #23
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,577
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 697 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    992439
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo
    Of course it was. The Gentiles did not have the Law, nor will they ever. So then, why do you think that Gentiles are sinners? Why can Paul say that all have sinned? Why can Paul say to the Gentiles in Romans 6 that they were slaves of sin?
    Because prior to Christ's work being applied to us we ARE slaves of sin, we cannot save ourselves.

    After we are baptized into Christ's death God associates us with Christ and we are no longer viewed as sinners. All of our sins are covered, our past sin, our present sin and our future sin. All of our sin.

    But that doesn't mean that we still don't miss that mark and do sinful things. It's just that the penalty for that sin has already been paid for in full by Christ's death on the cross.

    Paul wrote to those in the Body...

    1Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. 7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse. 9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? 11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

    Therefore it is clear we can sin, but thankfully that sin is already been paid for.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  9. #24
    Journeyman Daniel50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    India.
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo
    I am done wasting the gospel on swine.

    You are doing wonderful job SOZO.I admire you.

    God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.
    Jn 12:26 "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him [My] Father will honor.


    THANK YOU JESUS CHRIST.


  10. #25
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 935 Times in 652 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    281390
    Where did the OP post go?
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

  11. #26
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 935 Times in 652 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    281390
    I guess Sozo picked up his ball and went home.
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

  12. #27
    Super Moderator Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Seated with Him in the heavenlies
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 110 Times in 74 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    92119
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    your assertion that Christians cannot sin is clearly in error.
    What is your commentary on Romans 4:15 - where no law is, there is no transgression. (KJV)
    WARNING: Graphic video here.

  13. #28
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 935 Times in 652 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    281390
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Romans 4:15 - where no law is, there is no transgression. (KJV)
    Yes, meaning what exactly though? Obviously, Christians should not be going around murdering people and committing adultry. Even if Christians are not under the law.
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

  14. #29
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,577
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 697 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    992439
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo
    I am done wasting the gospel on swine.
    Fantastic!

    What a great friend you are. I am so glad we could reason together.

    Sozo... the fruit of the Spirit, why is yours so sour?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  15. #30
    Journeyman Daniel50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    India.
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Fantastic!

    What a great friend you are. I am so glad we could reason together.

    Sozo... the fruit of the Spirit, why is yours so sour?
    Thank you dear Brother.

    "Therefore by their fruits you will know them.


    "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.
    Jn 12:26 "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him [My] Father will honor.


    THANK YOU JESUS CHRIST.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us