Oregon now allows 15-year-olds to get state-subsidized ‘sex-change’ operations withou

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
It's in the Book that you moral relativist atheists borrow off of a fair amount of the time. (Pick up the Bible and read it, honestly it won't burn your fingers too badly).

I knew the bible better than you when I posted as a christian, I'm sure the same still hold true now. I'm not going to waste more time with you. You've been on the same old song and dance far too long. However, know that when you come out of that closet you obviously hate so badly, I will be happy for you.

*edit- I should have commented on the rape bit. According to your bible, I can rape a woman, as long as I marry her after and give her Pops 50 silver pieces. AND if my kids don't obey me, I can haul them out to the town square and stone them. :thumb:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
It's in the Book that you moral relativist atheists borrow off of a fair amount of the time. (Pick up the Bible and read it, honestly it won't burn your fingers too badly).

I knew the bible better than you when I posted as a christian,...

You knew it so well that you went from being a (pretend) believer to someone who states that God doesn't exist. If I were you, I would have sought a different pastor/church, because it sounds like they weren't doing their job.

I'm not going to waste more time with you.

That is the one thing that I've always respected about you MrDeets:

You know your limitations.

*edit- I should have commented on the rape bit. According to your bible, I can rape a woman, as long as I marry her after and give her Pops 50 silver pieces. AND if my kids don't obey me, I can haul them out to the town square and stone them. :thumb:

If I'd been taught this form of Christianity, I too would have left it behind. If you're interested in learning about the true love of God, there are plenty of good people here on TOL that will teach you.

RevTestament

Nothing really sinister here. 15 years is their state medical age of consent. Sex changes are covered now under state Medicaid.
That is what is sinister. Medicaid should be for life threatening conditions and general physical health conditions. Getting a sex change on the public dime is sinister imho. If I want plastic surgery to correct a non-health threatening defect, should the public pay for that too? Or to correct my smile so that I won't have a poor self-image...etc, etc.
If Oregon doesn't like this they should just change their medical age of consent.
I would hope that no one could make the public pay for their sex changes... no matter the age. In an age when the elderly are being denied their traditional medications, and surgeries needed to prolong their lives, this is just absolutely the wrong priorities. A sex change operation is a matter of personal preference - like any plastic surgery - and the public shouldn't be paying for them...period.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would hope that no one could make the public pay for their sex changes... no matter the age.

So the issue with you isn't that a law has been passed that forbids parents of a 15 year old gender confused boy to have any say in his genital mutilation surgery, your complaint is that tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it? (how Libertarian of you).

Granite

Hall of Fame
That is what is sinister. Medicaid should be for life threatening conditions and general physical health conditions.

I notice people who talk about states's rights and small government can shelve both concepts when convenient.

Getting a sex change on the public dime is sinister imho. If I want plastic surgery to correct a non-health threatening defect, should the public pay for that too? Or to correct my smile so that I won't have a poor self-image...etc, etc.

Medicaid already covers braces for people under the age of 21. So I'd assume you'd support doing away with this benefit.

bybee

I notice people who talk about states's rights and small government can shelve both concepts when convenient.

Medicaid already covers braces for people under the age of 21. So I'd assume you'd support doing away with this benefit.

Now let's see, braces versus excision of a penis and testicles with concomitant creation of cervix and new urethral opening? Of course accompanied by immense amounts of hormone therapy?
Are we really talking apples and apples here?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Now let's see, braces versus excision of a penis and testicles with concomitant creation of cervix and new urethral opening? Of course accompanied by immense amounts of hormone therapy?
Are we really talking apples and apples here?

Do you guys all have a major Freudian issue here or is it just me?:rolleyes:

bybee

Do you guys all have a major Freudian issue here or is it just me?:rolleyes:

Actually, I feel that Freud, at best, was quite weird and at worst, possibly emotionally unwell. Still he made huge contributions to our understanding of mental disease.
It seems that your ability to be bored by any and all who hold differing opinions shall always be subject to sarcastic, patronizing expressions of ennui?
Try on something new for a change....
I speak from the perspective of one who has participated in sex change operations in the operating room. I know what is involved both in excision of and in creating of body changes.
These are not ..."sea changes into something rich and strange".

Granite

Hall of Fame
Actually, I feel that Freud, at best, was quite weird and at worst, possibly emotionally unwell. Still he made huge contributions to our understanding of mental disease.
It seems that your ability to be bored by any and all who hold differing opinions shall always be subject to sarcastic, patronizing expressions of ennui?
Try on something new for a change....
I speak from the perspective of one who has participated in sex change operations in the operating room. I know what is involved both in excision of and in creating of body changes.
These are not ..."sea changes into something rich and strange".

I was getting at the fact that a few of you seem to be convinced only one kind of reassignment surgery exists. The way the same kind of people only ever talk about gay men.

bybee

I was getting at the fact that a few of you seem to be convinced only one kind of reassignment surgery exists. The way the same kind of people only ever talk about gay men.

Gay! Schmay! Who cares!
I did not ever participate in a female body alteration of the sex organs. I'm not sure how that would be done on earth... certainly not as it is in heaven?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Gay! Schmay! Who cares!
I did not ever participate in a female body alteration of the sex organs. I'm not sure how that would be done on earth... certainly not as it is in heaven?

Well it seems like your biases are getting in the way of having an actual discussion.

The advocates of states's rights should--to be consistent--have no issue with how Oregon's chosen to run its affairs. We don't get to pick and choose where our taxes go. And so far no one's suggested how we sort out which procedures should be covered and which shouldn't or on what basis, especially if a teenager has the blessing of their parents.

bybee

Well it seems like your biases are getting in the way of having an actual discussion.

The advocates of states's rights should--to be consistent--have no issue with how Oregon's chosen to run its affairs. We don't get to pick and choose where our taxes go. And so far no one's suggested how we sort out which procedures should be covered and which shouldn't or on what basis, especially if a teenager has the blessing of their parents.

I really don't care. I'm answering from a rhetorical perspective. Braces don't correlate with sex change procedures.
As far as sex changes in minors. I should think doctors and psychiatrists along with parents ought to be involved in the decision making process?
As a tax payer I have a vested interest in how tax payers money is being allocated. I believe we need some type of national health plan to care for basic needs of citizens who cannot afford necessary care. "Need" versus "Want", a garden of healthy vegetables infested with weeds....

Granite

Hall of Fame
As far as sex changes in minors. I should think doctors and psychiatrists along with parents ought to be involved in the decision making process?

And what in the world makes you think they're not? Extensive psychological screening is part of this process. This isn't a fifteen-minute oil change, bybee, or a drive-thru order. You don't walk into a Jack & Jill Sex Swap Shoppe in a strip mall and walk out.

As a tax payer I have a vested interest in how tax payers money is being allocated.

Indeed. Don't we all.

I believe we need some type of national health plan to care for basic needs of citizens who cannot afford necessary care. "Need" versus "Want", a garden of healthy vegetables infested with weeds....

Wandering dangerously close to commie territory, ain't ya?:chuckle:

bybee

And what in the world makes you think they're not? Extensive psychological screening is part of this process. This isn't a fifteen-minute oil change, bybee, or a drive-thru order. You don't walk into a Jack & Jill Sex Swap Shoppe in a strip mall and walk out.

Indeed. Don't we all.

Wandering dangerously close to commie territory, ain't ya?:chuckle:

Common decency requires that a society provide for the NEEDS of those who cannot help themselves. Common sense requires that we try to keep our health standards high because disease has a way of spreading.
I'd not call that Communistic?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Common decency requires that a society provide for the NEEDS of those who cannot help themselves. Common sense requires that we try to keep our health standards high because disease has a way of spreading.
I'd not call that Communistic?

Plenty of folks here would. Many if not most of your TOL brethren, if I had to bet.

bybee

Plenty of folks here would. Many if not most of your TOL brethren, if I had to bet.

Possibly. But many of my TOL brethren and sisters are charitable folks who work every day to help others but don't blow their horns about it.:thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd like to chime in.

Lasik can be covered by Medicaid in the following rare cases:
1-If vision correction was needed following an injury
2-If lasik is required due to a medical condition.

I met with a biking accident 3 years back. Doctors advised lasik to get my cornea back into shape. Got it done at See by Intravision in Stoney Creek. Everything right from consultation was covered by insurance. Had to run around a bit for getting it covered though. My eyes are better than before I had lasik.:)

Thank you.

Now: In your opinion should, say, a fifteen-year-old be able to get this procedure with or without parental consent?

bybee

Thank you.

Now: In your opinion should, say, a fifteen-year-old be able to get this procedure with or without parental consent?

The Lasik procedure has some potentially debilitating side effects. Parents ought to be with their children in a discussion with the doctor as to potential risks.
You know, parents, the adults who are responsible for the minor child.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Lasik procedure has some potentially debilitating side effects. Parents ought to be with their children in a discussion with the doctor as to potential risks.
You know, parents, the adults who are responsible for the minor child.

Responsible, yes. But not able to stop a decision such as this if the teenager makes up their mind--at least not in states like Oregon, whose medical age of consent kind of kicked off this whole discussion. I guess this is the most interesting issue to me: Whether or not this kind of decision-making is prudent, or worth supporting.