Moon Landing Hoax

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Rather that quote mine the man, read the full context of Chapter 3, which decries the nonsense of modernism, that denies natural revelelation. A few paragraphs before your quote, Calvin notes:

" Since, then, there never has been, from the very first, any quarter of the globe, any city, any household even, without religion, this amounts to a tacit confession, that a sense of Deity is inscribed on every heart."

What was Calvin actually meaning, then, when he referred to Plato losing "himself in his round globe?"

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Rev. 6:12-14 depict the judgment of the world is depicted with stock-in-trade OT figurative imagery for the dissolution of the cosmos. This portrayal is based on a mosaic of OT passages that are brought together because of the cosmic metaphors of judgment that they have in common. The quarry of texts from which the description has been drawn is composed primarily of Isa. 13:10–13; 24:1–6, 19–23; 34:4; Ezek. 32:6–8; Joel 2:10, 30–31; 3:15–16; and Hab. 3:6–11 (see also, secondarily Amos 8:8–9; Jer. 4:23–28; and Ps. 68:7–8).

The same OT texts are also influential in Matt. 24:29; Mark 13:24–25; and Acts 2:19–20 (Joel 2:30–31), which themselves likewise form part of the apocalyptic quarry influencing the dramatic portrayal in Rev. 6:12–14. All these passages mention at least four of the following elements, which are found here in the Revelation: the shaking of the earth or mountains; the darkening or shaking of the moon, stars, sun, and/or heaven; and the pouring out of blood.

Therefore, as in the OT, these cosmic descriptions are metaphors for God’s judgment of sinners whereby he conducts holy war and defeats them, except now the judgment is not merely against an individual nation but against the whole world of unbelievers.

Note that the whole of the sun, moon, and stars are destroyed in 6:12–13, whereas only a third of sun, moon, and stars are smitten in the clearly temporal affliction in Rev. 8:12. All the “stars of heaven falling to the earth” in 6:13 also contrasts with the partial judgments of “star(s) falling from heaven to earth” in 8:10; 9:1; and 12:4.

Figuratively, “stars” can represent heavenly powers of good (e.g., Judg. 5:20; Dan. 8:10; Rev. 1:16, 20; 12:4) or evil (Deut. 4:19; Isa. 14:12; 24:21; 47:13; Jer. 8:2; Rev. 9:1.

In case it is getting lost in the flurry of posts, it bears repeating that Scripture teaches us of a miracle in Joshua 10 that the sun historically, in the time-space continuum, literally stood still, and did so obeying the command of a man. This is not poetry, or allegory, but history. This is not an example of Cartesian accommodation of God in Scripture to our finite minds. It is not phenomenological. It is a described fact from history unless one does not believe in the plenary inspiration of Scripture. Let's allow the Bible to say what it says. The passage obviously does not teach us astrophysics or any other science. The passage makes a statement about the sun—that it ordinarily moves—and that a miracle occurred when it stopped moving. Whatever one thinks about physics, astronomy, or any other science, he has no right to impose his unproven, ever-advancing scientific explanations upon Scripture and make it say something other than what it says.

AMR
From the point of view of an observer on Earth, how could such a person tell the difference between the stopping in its orbit of Earth or the Earth adjusting its spin such that the same side of the planet was facing the sun as the Earth continued in its orbit.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
It doesn't amaze me that you believe in the lie.

After all, you are sheep

Sheeple if you please. Jn 10:27

happy-sheep-smiley-emoticon.gif

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From the point of view of an observer on Earth, how could such a person tell the difference between the stopping in its orbit of Earth or the Earth adjusting its spin such that the same side of the planet was facing the sun as the Earth continued in its orbit.

According to heliocentrism, the earth spins approximately 1,000 mph.

Heliocentrism also says the earth revolves around the sun at 18.5 miles a second. Which is in the neighborhood of 65,000 mph.

So, if the earth either stopped spinning, or stopped orbiting, don't you think everything on it would go flying through the air?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
According to heliocentrism, the earth spins approximately 1,000 mph.

Heliocentrism also says the earth revolves around the sun at 18.5 miles a second. Which is in the neighborhood of 65,000 mph.

So, if the earth either stopped spinning, or stopped orbiting, don't you think everything on it would go flying through the air?

If the Sun, and all the other stars in the heavens, are orbiting Earth, then the sun would be traveling at similar speeds. What do you think would happen if the sun, and the rest of the heavens, just suddenly stopped moving.

On a side note, do you understand how gravity works?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the Sun, and all the other stars in the heavens, are orbiting Earth, then the sun would be traveling at similar speeds. What do you think would happen if the sun, and the rest of the heavens, just suddenly stopped moving.

Well, it doesn't say the rest of the heavens stopped also, it says just the sun stopped.

Since there's no one on the sun, I'm not sure what would happen

On a side note, do you understand how gravity works?

Yes, if you throw something up in the air, it comes back down.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Well, it doesn't say the rest of the heavens stopped also, it says just the sun stopped.

Since there's no one on the sun, I'm not sure what would happen

Yes, if you throw something up in the air, it comes back down.
Comes back down to what?

Does it make a difference where on Earth I throw the ball up? Will it come back down if I am on the North Pole? What about the South Pole? What about the equator?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It comes back down to earth.

Yes.

If the earth spins, then the Coriolis Effect is different at the poles than the equator. There's virtually no Coriolis Effect at the equator.
So of the three places listed, north pole, south pole and equator, where does the ball not come back down to Earth?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yes, but they don't necessarily move like the sun does. The stars appear to move very little.
Okay, which one of these CAN'T God do:

Heliocentric Model: God safely stops the Earth from rotating.

Geocentric Model: God stops he sun from moving?

And this still needs an answer: From the point of view of an observer on Earth, how could such a person tell the difference between the stopping in its orbit of Earth or the Earth adjusting its spin such that the same side of the planet was facing the sun as the Earth continued in its orbit.

Daniel1611

Okay, which one of these CAN'T God do:

Heliocentric Model: God safely stops the Earth from rotating.

Geocentric Model: God stops he sun from moving?

And this still needs an answer: From the point of view of an observer on Earth, how could such a person tell the difference between the stopping in its orbit of Earth or the Earth adjusting its spin such that the same side of the planet was facing the sun as the Earth continued in its orbit.

How can the observer tell that the earth is moving at all?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So of the three places listed, north pole, south pole and equator, where does the ball not come back down to Earth?

I didn't say it doesn't come back down to earth.

If you were standing on the equator, and I'm standing in Pennsylvania, and you throw a ball to me, the ball will end up to the left of me (your right) because you are moving faster than I am (if the earth spins) and I didn't catch up to you.

If you were standing on the North Pole, and I'm in Pennsylvania, and you throw a ball to me, it will again end up to the left of me because now I'm moving faster than you are (if the earth spins) and I have moved ahead of you.

If planet earth is standing still, and space is moving, the same exact effect would take place.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
How can the observer tell that the earth is moving at all?
That is rather the point. AN observer on Earth could not tell the difference between the Earth stopping and the sun stopping. Thus, when scripture says the sun stopped for three days, there is not enough information there to tell us whether God stopped the sun or the Earth. So I wonder why one must insist on one model or the other based on religious principles?