Moon Landing Hoax

Daniel1611

Nothing was invented, things were discovered. Keep in mind that Newtonian physics were all that was required to put men on the moon. And senses can be fooled. Remember that ship on the ocean? You don't feel it move yet in the morning you wake up in a whole different place. How can you have moved if your senses tell you that you are not moving?

I might not feel the ship move but if I look at my surroundings, I can SEE it move. In a car, I feel myself moving.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What happens at the equator? Where does the ball return to Earth relative to you?

It depends how high you throw the ball.

If I throw it 3 feet in the air it will come right back down in my hand.

If I throw in 30 miles in the air, it's not going to land in my hand.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The moon landing was filmed in a studio and the photos of earth were taken through a round window in a plane to make it appear globular.
Spoiler

felix-baumgartner-capsule-jump.jpg

And bang goes that theory. This was from the recent parachute jump from the edge of space. The picture shoes the curvature of the Earth but there is no distortion of the man nor the capsule.

You see the flat horizon as far as you go. YouTube. You can see independent camera shots of people in hot air balloons and what not 20 miles up and the horizon remains flat and at eye level. You don't look down to see the horizon like you would on a globe. You don't see a curve except in NASA related or government sponsored shots.
You need to get a physics book and look at the optics that are at play here. In order to see the curvature of the Earth you have to be about 35,000 up MSL and a wide filed of vision
You should be able to detect it from an aeroplane at a cruising height of around 10,600 metres (35,000 feet), but you need a fairly wide field of view (ie 60 degrees) and a virtually cloud-free horizon. The reality is that clouds, hills and mountains mean we rarely get to see the kind of perfectly flat horizon where the curve would be most obvious. However, you can detect the curve of the Earth from ground level at the coast with a pair of binoculars – just look for distant ships on the horizon and you’ll see that their hulls start to disappear before their masts and other superstructure. Ancient Greek scientists, who spotted this without any optical aids, used this to conclude that the Earth was round.

Gravity is only needed if we are on a spinning ball. If earth is flat and stationary, there is no magic needed.
If the Earth is a flat plate, why do you come back down when you jump up in the air? DO you have a name for this magical process?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I might not feel the ship move but if I look at my surroundings, I can SEE it move. In a car, I feel myself moving.
If you cannot see land you cannot tell the ship is moving.
You feel the car move because of imperfections in the road.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It depends how high you throw the ball.

If I throw it 3 feet in the air it will come right back down in my hand.

If I throw in 30 miles in the air, it's not going to land in my hand.
And the only way that could happen is if the Earth is spinning. If the Earth is not spinning, it would come right back down to your hand.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How can you have moved if your senses tell you that you are not moving?

According to heliocentrism, the earth rotates west to east at approx. 1,000 mph at the equator.

Yet, if I fly in a plane east to west, or west to east, the moving earth has no effect.

Singapore Airlines has a flight from Singapore to The Maldives. Both these cities are very close to the equator.

The flight from The Maldives to Singapore is said to take 4 hrs 45 min. The flight from Singapore to Maldives is said to take 4 hrs 30 minutes. The difference is because of wind.

If I am traveling from The Maldives to Singapore (West to East) with the alleged rotation of the earth traveling 1,000 mph, and the plane is traveling 500 mph, then the plane is only traveling half the speed of earth, it means I never would get there.

Going east to west, it should only take an hour because the earth would be rotating under the plane in my favor.

How can both flights take the same time, if the earth is moving 1,000 mph from west to east?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
According to heliocentrism, the earth rotates west to east at approx. 1,000 mph at the equator.

Yet, if I fly in a plane east to west, or west to east, the moving earth has no effect.

Singapore Airlines has a flight from Singapore to The Maldives. Both these cities are very close to the equator.

The flight from The Maldives to Singapore is said to take 4 hrs 45 min. The flight from Singapore to Maldives is said to take 4 hrs 30 minutes. The difference is because of wind.

If I am traveling from The Maldives to Singapore (West to East) with the alleged rotation of the earth traveling 1,000 mph, and the plane is traveling 500 mph, then the plane is only traveling half the speed of earth, it means I never would get there.

Going east to west, it should only take an hour because the earth would be rotating under the plane in my favor.

How can both flights take the same time, if the earth is moving 1,000 mph from west to east?
For your consideration:

During the flight, you need to get up to use the restroom. There's one 10 rows in front of you, and another 10 rows behind you. Does it take longer to walk to the one that's moving away from you at 600 mph than the one that's moving towards you at 600 mph?
No, because you're moving at 600 mph right along with it -- in the ground-based frame of reference. In the frame of reference of the airplane, everything is stationary.
Similarly, the airplane is already moving along with the surface of the Earth before it takes off. The rotation of the Earth has no direct significant effect on flight times in either direction.
That's to a first order approximation. As others have already said, since the Earth's surface is (very nearly) spherical and is rotating rather than moving linearly, Coriolis effects can be significant. But prevailing winds (which themselves are caused by Coriolis and other effects) are more significant that any direct Coriolis effect on the airplane.

Tyrathca

Because the speed of the plane (and wind) is described as relative to the ground not the centre of the earth. The planes speed is limited by the speed and direction of air it flies in (which is about the same as the earth's rotation below it, with differences called wind)

Daniel1611

Spoiler

felix-baumgartner-capsule-jump.jpg

And bang goes that theory. This was from the recent parachute jump from the edge of space. The picture shoes the curvature of the Earth but there is no distortion of the man nor the capsule.

You need to get a physics book and look at the optics that are at play here. In order to see the curvature of the Earth you have to be about 35,000 up MSL and a wide filed of vision
You should be able to detect it from an aeroplane at a cruising height of around 10,600 metres (35,000 feet), but you need a fairly wide field of view (ie 60 degrees) and a virtually cloud-free horizon. The reality is that clouds, hills and mountains mean we rarely get to see the kind of perfectly flat horizon where the curve would be most obvious. However, you can detect the curve of the Earth from ground level at the coast with a pair of binoculars – just look for distant ships on the horizon and you’ll see that their hulls start to disappear before their masts and other superstructure. Ancient Greek scientists, who spotted this without any optical aids, used this to conclude that the Earth was round.

If the Earth is a flat plate, why do you come back down when you jump up in the air? DO you have a name for this magical process?

1. Is that the Red Bull thing? Filmed with a Go Pro. It has a fish eye lense. Watch the video and you ll see the horizon go convex, to concave, to straight, and back. Is the horizon wavy and constantly moving? Because that's what the video shows.

2. You CANNOT see the curve in the ocean. The ships just get further away and appears to be disappearing. I hate this arguement t that things get smaller when they move farther away so it's curved. No. Things look small and eventually invisible from a great distance.

3. Things fall back to earth because of density. No magic forcefield. Just denser things fall.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
1. Is that the Red Bull thing? Filmed with a Go Pro. It has a fish eye lense. Watch the video and you ll see the horizon go convex, to concave, to straight, and back. Is the horizon wavy and constantly moving? Because that's what the video shows.
Look closely at the picture as it is a single frame. If you wish to discuss camer optics then please at least Google the topic before beginning.

2. You CANNOT see the curve in the ocean. The ships just get further away and appears to be disappearing. I hate this arguement t that things get smaller when they move farther away so it's curved. No. Things look small and eventually invisible from a great distance.
You can from an air liner if you have about a 60° field of vision.

3. Things fall back to earth because of density. No magic forcefield. Just denser things fall.
Why do dense things fall back down? What is going on that causes denser objects to fall?

Daniel1611

Look closely at the picture as it is a single frame. If you wish to discuss camer optics then please at least Google the topic before beginning.

You can from an air liner if you have about a 60° field of vision.

Why do dense things fall back down? What is going on that causes denser objects to fall?

1. You cannot see the curve from an airliner. Any independent observation or film always shows a flat horizon at eye level. There are go pro lense correctors that will fix the distortions.

2. Their density is what causes them to fall. Their density is, itself, responsible for making denser objects fall. Why does there need to be a magic force to suck it back to the earth?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For your consideration:
During the flight, you need to get up to use the restroom. There's one 10 rows in front of you, and another 10 rows behind you. Does it take longer to walk to the one that's moving away from you at 600 mph than the one that's moving towards you at 600 mph?

That's not a very good analogy considering my feet are touching the plane, and I'm in a pressurized cabin.

How about at the airport, you, me, and another guy gets on one of those movable walkways.

You stand still, I walk east (the direction the people mover is going), and the other guy walks west. All three of us are moving in the direction the walkway is moving, but we gain separation from each other and from you.

And, it would take me much less time to move east 100 feet, then you and the other guy.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
1. You cannot see the curve from an airliner. Any independent observation or film always shows a flat horizon at eye level. There are go pro lense correctors that will fix the distortions.
you will need a much more precise definition than " eye level" for thus statement to make any sense.

2. Their density is what causes them to fall. Their density is, itself, responsible for making denser objects fall. Why does there need to be a magic force to suck it back to the earth?

Why? Density is a definition that is unit mass per unit volume. That us all. If you have two balls, steel and rubber, does one fall faster than the other? Let's say you have two humans with the same density, one is 6' tall and the other is 4' tall, do they weigh the same? Why or why not?

Daniel1611

you will need a much more precise definition than " eye level" for thus statement to make any sense.

Why? Density is a definition that is unit mass per unit volume. That us all. If you have two balls, steel and rubber, does one fall faster than the other? Let's say you have two humans with the same density, one is 6' tall and the other is 4' tall, do they weigh the same? Why or why not?

1. Eye level is straight ahead.

2. Exactly, they both fall at the same speed. They both are more dense than the atmosphere so they fall back down. At the same speed. It's the density itself. I've heard other theories where "gravity" exists but is dictated by temperature. I'm not sold on that, but it makes more sense than Newton's Star Wars force.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That's not a very good analogy considering my feet are touching the plane, and I'm in a pressurized cabin.

How about at the airport, you, me, and another guy gets on one of those movable walkways.

You stand still, I walk east (the direction the people mover is going), and the other guy walks west. All three of us are moving in the direction the walkway is moving, but we gain separation from each other and from you.

And, it would take me much less time to move east 100 feet, then you and the other guy.
It is a far more accurate analogy than yours. Here's why, your analogy ignores the air.

As the Earth rotates the air above the Earth rotates with it. Wind currents are present but even that are rotating with the Earth. As the plane flyspeck against the rotation it is flying into the column of air. From a reference plane that is not Earth, you would see the plane moving in one direction and the destination rotating towards it. When the plane is flying with rotation you would see it moving much faster towards a destination that is moving away from it. If your reference plane is on Earth, you would not see this effect as the plane is only moving relative to the Earth. From a reference plane on the moon, then you have the Earth movie go and the plane moving and you can clearly see the effect on the planes velocity.