Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Atheist (Fool) Debates Bob on God's Rights

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I will have to listen to this now. I bailed earlier when the purported expert speaking about Lucy claimed that evolutionist believe "we came from monkeys". Not sure that is an accurate statement of evolutionary thinking but it is probably good enough for Pastor Enyart's purposes.
    "Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight in vain", G. Smiley

"Send money, guns and lawyers..." W. Zevon

"If it is possible for something to happen, that is evidence that it did happen." Stripe on TOL

"There but for fortune...", P. Ochs

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    [b].

Psalms 145:17 The LORD is righteous in all His ways, Gracious in all His works.

Zephaniah 3:5 The LORD is righteous in her midst, He will do no unrighteousness. [/indent]we can put trust in God because we know He is a righteous God and His ways are righteous.

It's like this...
    I might say to you... we can trust that a smart man does smart things. And that's true... by definition a smart man does smart things. Yet it would be silly for us to then conclude (from that statement) that a smart man could hypothetically do ANYTHING and it would continue to be smart.
    Seems like its more like saying (from those verses you quoted) that he is smart in all his ways, that he will do no unsmartness, that he is smart and his ways are smart.

That would be silly conclusion to jump to wouldn't you agree?
    If you espouse that absolute morality comes from God, then it sure would help you out if God was absolutly moral.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 654 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fool
    Seems like its more like saying (from those verses you quoted) that he is smart in all his ways, that he will do no unsmartness, that he is smart and his ways are smart.
    And wouldn't it be silly if someone then twisted that to mean that God could do dumb things and call them smart?

In other words....
    Asserting that God is good is very different than asserting God could do evil and then evil would be good.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And wouldn't it be silly if someone then twisted that to mean that God could do dumb things and call them smart?
    So by this are you admitting that right and wrong exist outside of God?
    I thought you posited that right and wrong came from God.
    If you say that God could do dumb/wrong things then obviously some metric of morality exists apart from God, that God himself could act contrary to.
    In other words....
    Asserting that God is good is very different than asserting God could do evil and then evil would be good.
    So again here we see that morality exists apart from God, and that God could run afoul of it.
    I II III IV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great call fool!

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shimei
    Great call fool!
    Thanks, part 2 on thurs. I had no idea it would go as far as it did.
    I II III IV

Maximeee's Husband death2impiety's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, part 2 on thurs. I had no idea it would go as far as it did.
    I'm looking forward to it. It's nice when the topics get switched up from time to time.

You're like a Berean fool!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 974 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally had a chance to listen. Good call and topic fool.
    Don't forget to post thursdays call on here too because I definitely want to hear part 2!

I thought Bob's comparison of weightlifting to an Israelite soldier killing a baby was a big strange though. :squint:

I was waiting for you (fool) to bring hell into the picture. Bob was talking about going from the porch to inside but it isn't as simple as that because inside there are two rooms and one is much nicer than the other. Looking forward to when you get to the part about a 23 YO dying and an 80 YO dying....

Gold level Subscriber Bob Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As expected...

fool... you misrepresented my argument on Bob's show... I have never said that "God is righteous and therefore God can do anything and it would be righteous".

I have never once said that.

That aside... it was a really good call!
    Knight, glad to hear that. I was expecting as much. And also, I agree that it was a really good call. I'm looking foward to the sequel on Thursday!

-Bob
    The Bob Enyart Live talk show airs at KGOV.com weekdays at 5 pm E.T. Also, same time, same station, check out Theology Thursday (.com) and on Fridays, Real Science Radio (.com) a.k.a. rsr.org. All shows are available 24/7 and you can call us at at 1-800-8Enyart.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's all right with you Bob I'd like to call for the second half of the show like last time, that's 6:30 EST, much easier for me since 5:00 EST is right when I'm in the middle of getting home from work and bringing the kids home type chaos. If that's no good I can do the earlier segment, that when all my other apperances were, but 6:30 is easier.
    I II III IV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet that isn't what you said that I said. You insinuated that I said.... God could do anything and it would be righteous.
    Well, do you agree or disagree with the statement that God could do anything and it would be righteous?

And, what is your personal method for determining whether an act is or is not righteous?

I might say to you... we can trust that a smart man does smart things. And that's true... by definition a smart man does smart things. Yet it would be silly for us to then conclude (from that statement) that a smart man could hypothetically do ANYTHING and it would continue to be smart.

That would be silly conclusion to jump to wouldn't you agree?
    Yes, this would be a silly conclusion. But this isn't quite an exact analogy with the case above for this reason: Alot of Christians say the derive their moral standards from the attributes of God. We wouldn't say that we determine what smart means by observing a specific smart man.
    Last edited by SUTG; March 30th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great call, fool!

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use that person as the standard for smart then what he does is smart.
    It's not a twisting at all, it's an if 1+1=2 and 2+2=4, then 1+1+1+1=4 expansion of the premise.
    I don't want to use all the material for tomorrows show, but if you want to call in at the same time, you and Bob can gang up on me. We could call it "the clash in the corn", or the "wrestle in the wheat", or "the battle in the bread basket", I'm sure the people in Des Moines might be a little puzzeled why two guys from Colorado are arguing with a guy from Michigan on their air, but like a wise man once said "Show biz, son, show biz!"
    I II III IV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fool, I wrote this post before listening to your call. A good part of my comments were covered. Good job! I have questions and responses of my own. Maybe I'll have to call one day.

I like how you handled yourself, and a number of the points you made. If the God who is telling you to go cut down babies is really the all-powerful creator of the universe, then certainly he could solve problems and accomplish his aims by other means than by asking people to go and slaughter their neighbors. He could just make the bad people disappear, or fall over dead, as you suggested. He could take the babies bodily into heaven if he really wants them. The fact that he chooses this violent method above others says something about him (if you really believe he's ordering these things), and that something isn't very good. Morality is more than just authority (or might is right).

In Bob's scenario, where Christ's salvation guarantees that no one has to go to a fate of eternal torment if they die as an infant, it is kind of strange that he keeps letting generation after generation go astray without hearing of Christ. Because, as the inheritors of fallen flesh, virtually all humans are bound to go astray if given enough time, thus squandering Christ's supposed gift. And over the thousands of years since Christ died, many have lived long enough to sin but not long enough to hear the gospel, and thus vast numbers are doomed. What's the point?

Anyway, I'll tune in when you call again.

Best wishes,

B.

P.S. My son really digs the Bob Enyart song! I've never seen him dance like this before....
    Last edited by Balder; March 30th, 2006 at 12:26 AM.
    "Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something that needs our love" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 654 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use that person as the standard for smart then what he does is smart.
    No, again you are wrong.

Events in the Bible do not happen in a vacuum.

We have God's commands, counsel, example and instruction. And from that we could could objectively discern if He chose to act against His nature, which He doesn't.

It seems to me you have something worked out in your head and your having a hard time letting it go even though it is clearly is in error.

It's your story and your stickin' to it.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thread Information