New International PerVersion

This Charming Manc

Well usually its fruitless to argue with those 'special people', what we can do in the meantime is loose our respect for KJV by arguing with people who don't want listen to any reason or logic .

I agree, as most here would, but the issue is those that denigrate the NIV in favour of the KJV as the ONLY English Bible to actually be inspired.

StanJ

Well usually its fruitless to argue with those 'special people', what we can do in the meantime is loose our respect for KJV by arguing with people who don't want listen to any reason or logic .

Well it's hard to respect a version that has so many actual errors in it or is eisegeted so badly by those that don't understand the vernacular it uses, but I guess I know what you mean. Most of my memorization is in the KJV.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Truster,

Thanks for your link!! Now you all know why I prefer the KJV instead of even the NKJV. I grew up with it and am not going to change now. I was taught out of that version and Bible. Wow, I had no idea of the depths of the discrepancies in it. It takes A LOT of liberties.

God Bless Your Heart And Soul,

Michael

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I use the KJV at the nursing home as that's what most of the residents remember.

Outside of that place I use RSV and the NASB

kiwimacahau

Certainly, Daniel1611; In Ezekiel 24:7, either the KJV of 1611 or the current KJV is in error:

For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it upon the ground, to cover it with dust; (Ezekiel 24:7, KJV of 1611, spelling modernized)

For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it not upon the ground, to cover it with dust; (Ezekiel 24:7,
current KJV, emphasis added)

Daniel1611

Certainly, Daniel1611; In Ezekiel 24:7, either the KJV of 1611 or the current KJV is in error:

For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it upon the ground, to cover it with dust; (Ezekiel 24:7, KJV of 1611, spelling modernized)

For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it not upon the ground, to cover it with dust; (Ezekiel 24:7,
current KJV, emphasis added)

You said the NIV is better than the KJV in many ways. An updated spelling to the KJV isn't really a reason why the NIV is better.

StanJ

You said the NIV is better than the KJV in many ways. An updated spelling to the KJV isn't really a reason why the NIV is better.

No, the reason it is better is because it is MORE accurate and has more manuscripts to refer to. IMO it is also because if uses "functional equivalence" as opposed to the KJV using "formal equivalence" although in that day it was not a linguistic theory.

2edgedsword

That was a very popular versions when I was much younger. I've never used it but I know a lot of pastors liked it.
Isn't it the Thompson - Chain Reference - Study Bible?

yes it is the Thompson - Chain Reference - Study Bible. Sorry for leaving the reference out of it.

We are in a ministry where many are not educated beyond the 5th-6th th grade level. So the NASB/ESV is much easier for them to understand than the KJV, NKJV or KJB AV1611.

StanJ

yes it is the Thompson - Chain Reference - Study Bible. Sorry for leaving the reference out of it.

We are in a ministry where many are not educated beyond the 5th-6th th grade level. So the NASB/ESV is much easier for them to understand than the KJV, NKJV or KJB AV1611.

Well I have a bit more education then that, but I still can't get into the KJV.
I am also not a big fan of Shakespeare either. :cool:

Have you tried the ISV yet?

Daniel1611

No, the reason it is better is because it is MORE accurate and has more manuscripts to refer to. IMO it is also because if uses "functional equivalence" as opposed to the KJV using "formal equivalence" although in that day it was not a linguistic theory.

Are the manuscripts accurate? If so, how do you judge that they are more accurate than the TR or Masoreric?

StanJ

Are the manuscripts accurate? If so, how do you judge that they are more accurate than the TR or Masoreric?

I've already answered you on this. ALL the manuscripts disagree less than 3% overall and as modern translations use all manuscripts, there is not much in the way of disagreement among them.

Now if you have a PERTINENT point to make then make it. Casting unsupportable doubt on God's Word accomplishes NOTHING productive.