ECT Who is the Angel of the Lord?

achduke

Who is the Angel of the Lord?

1) A representative of God?

2) Holy Spirit?

3) Christ Pre-incarnate?

4) Other?

1 Chronicles 21:14-16
14 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead.
15And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the Lord saw it and relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunahb the Jebusite.
16 David looked up and saw the angel of the Lord standing between heaven and earth, with a drawn sword in his hand extended over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell facedown.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

1) A representative of God? "angel of the Lord"

2) Holy Spirit?

3) Christ Pre-incarnate? "Angel of the Lord"

4) Other?

Some versions/translation use Angel to indicate Jesus; ans angel for and angel of the Lord

That is how it was explained to me.
14 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead.
15And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the Lord saw it and relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunahb the Jebusite.
16 David looked up and saw the angel of the Lord standing between heaven and earth, with a drawn sword in his hand extended over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell facedown.

achduke

1) A representative of God? "angel of the Lord"

2) Holy Spirit?

3) Christ Pre-incarnate? "Angel of the Lord"

4) Other?

Some versions/translation use Angel to indicate Jesus; ans angel for and angel of the Lord

That is how it was explained to me.

Do you know which translations and scriptures indicate this? I would be interested in them.

Thank you,

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Judges 2:1-3
Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: "I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, 'I will never break My covenant with you. And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.' But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? Therefore I also said, 'I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.'"

Judges 5:23
'Curse Meroz,' said the angel of the Lord, 'curse its inhabitants bitterly, because they did not come to the help of the Lord, to the help of the Lord against the mighty.'

rougueone

So the LORD sent a pestilence on Israel; 70,000 men of Israel fell. 15And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it;
but as he was about to destroy it, the LORD saw and was sorry over the calamity,and said to the destroying angel, "It is enough; now relax your hand."
And the angel of the LORD was standing by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.…

KJV.http://biblehub.com/kjv/1_chronicles/21.htm
I have difficulty with Biblehub. Getting the specific verse ( s), I am aiming for, as the verse appears in the context menu to the right. So when I copy and paste what will show will be the parallel verse. Not the context verse. Which was my objective.

Back to the op. The Scripture states " an Angel of the Lord." So I am inclined it is not Jesus. As Jesus seeing what was occurring, commanded the angel to stop.

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
OP: Who is the Angel of the LORD?

Isa 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them......

presence = paniym = face/person

The Angel of YHVH is manifestly GOD and the memra/WORD, preincarnate Messiah, the LORD Jesus.

rougueone

Isa 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them......

presence = paniym = face/person

The Angel of YHVH is manifestly GOD and the memra/WORD, preincarnate Messiah, the LORD Jesus.

Yes, but obviously specific to God in Isa 63:9 .
There are Angels called Gabriel and Arch angel Michael. ( having high rank ?) .

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, but obviously specific to God in Isa 63:9 .
There are Angels called Gabriel and Arch angel Michael. ( having high rank ?) .

Yes, obviously!

archággelos - árchōn= chief, and ággelos= angel or messenger

These are created beings but the Angel of YHVH is the image of the invisible GOD.....which the LORD Jesus is.

There is only one 'image' of the invisible GOD, thus the Angel of YHVH and the LORD Jesus(preincarnate) are one and the same person.

RevTestament

Yes, obviously!

archággelos - árchōn= chief, and ággelos= angel or messenger

These are created beings but the Angel of YHVH is the image of the invisible GOD.....which the LORD Jesus is.

There is only one 'image' of the invisible GOD, thus the Angel of YHVH and the LORD Jesus(preincarnate) are one and the same person.
nope.
Matthew 2:13
13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

Acts 7:30
30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.

The angel of the Lord is a messenger of the house of El.
11 And the angel of God spake unto me in a dream, saying, Jacob: And I said, Here am I.

12 And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled: for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto thee.

13 I am the God of Beth-el, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred.

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
nope.
Matthew 2:13
13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

Nope!

There is no article 'the' in the Greek text of that verse. It means 'an' angel, not 'the angel of YHVH'.

RevTestament

Nope!

There is no article 'the' in the Greek text of that verse. It means 'an' angel, not 'the angel of YHVH'.

doesn't matter. Acts makes it clear the angel of YHWH in the OT was who appeared in the burning bush, and not Jesus.
Jesus was JHWH Elohim with the Father, not His angel.

musterion

On Kolob, right? Fighting the Cylons?

Christ is I AM who spoke to Moses in the burning bush, not an evolved alien man-deity.

Last edited:

oatmeal

2) Holy Spirit?

3) Christ Pre-incarnate?

4) Other?

A created spiritual being, angel = messenger, who serves God as a representative.

There were three great ones, under whom are many others, Gabriel, Michael and Lucifer, Lucifer, the angel of light rebelled and was cast down.

The scriptures show that Michael and Gabriel continue to serve God.

beloved57

2) Holy Spirit?

3) Christ Pre-incarnate?

4) Other?

#3 Also known as Michael the Arch Angel !