Atheists and abortion

quip

BANNED
Banned
Not a single person on the pro-abortion side of the argument has provided any real reason for aborting a baby.

Maybe you could be the first.

How about the US Constitution.

I'm flattered that you may believe that I'm the first one to bring about the issue of a woman's right to privacy and bodily autonomy....but I assure you I cannot take the credits for such.

genuineoriginal

How about the US Constitution.

I'm flattered that you may believe that I'm the first one to bring about the issue of a woman's right to privacy and bodily autonomy....but I assure you I cannot take the credits for such.

Neither of those "rights" are in the US Constitution.
Have you actually read the text?
I have.

Besides that, you are couching the "rights" in terms designed to hide what your interpretation of those "rights" is.

What, specifically, do you mean by the right to privacy and what do you mean by the right to bodily autonomy?

Even if you define those "rights" to say what you mean by them, they do not provide any reason for aborting a baby.

Maybe you should explain how a right to privacy means you should abort a baby?
Or you could explain how a right to bodily autonomy means you should abort a baby?

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Neither of those "rights" are in the US Constitution.
Have you actually read the text?
I have.

Besides that, you are couching the "rights" in terms designed to hide what your interpretation of those "rights" is.

What, specifically, do you mean by the right to privacy and what do you mean by the right to bodily autonomy?

They don't need to be. Are you familiar with the concept of retained rights per the 9th Amendment?

It has been ruled that privacy be retained as a right...and abortion under the purview of privacy.

genuineoriginal

They don't need to be. Are you familiar with the concept of retained rights per the 9th Amendment?

It has been ruled that privacy be retained as a right...and abortion under the purview of privacy.
You still haven't explained what you mean by a right to privacy.

You also haven't expained how having a right to privacy means you have any reason to abort a baby.

Here is what I said:
Not a single person on the pro-abortion side of the argument has provided any real reason for aborting a baby.

quip

BANNED
Banned
You still haven't explained what you mean by a right to privacy.

Look up the related SCOTUS rulings.

You also haven't expained how having a right to privacy means you have any reason to abort a baby.

The same right whereas you're not required to save my life by offering me blood, kidney...etc. (Also, look at the Roe ruling if you desire more legal details.)

Here is what I said:

I heard ya....repeating the same daft comment won't make it any more significant.

genuineoriginal

Look up the related SCOTUS rulings.

The same right whereas you're not required to save my life by offering me blood, kidney...etc. (Also, look at the Roe ruling if you desire more legal details.)
Are you really claiming that a right that I have to keep my body parts (instead of having them surgically removed from me and implanted into you) is a reason why a person SHOULD abort a baby?

I heard ya....repeating the same daft comment won't make it any more significant.
I was actually hoping you would respond to it instead of dodging and evading.

Why SHOULD anyone abort a baby?
Can't you provide a single real reason for doing this?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Are you really claiming that a right that I have to keep my body parts (instead of having them surgically removed from me and implanted into you) is a reason why a person SHOULD abort a baby?

Not at all...I'm saying they have every justifiable right to choose such.

I was actually hoping you would respond to it instead of dodging and evading.

Why SHOULD anyone abort a baby?
Can't you provide a single real reason for doing this?

Ask a woman with an unwanted pregnancy...there could be many a reason.

genuineoriginal

Not at all...I'm saying they have every justifiable right to choose such.
By that logic, any person has every justifiable right to murder any other person.

Not good enough. Try again.

Ask a woman with an unwanted pregnancy...there could be many a reason.
Maybe you should ask a person with an unwanted credit card debt whether that is a good enough reason to murder a banker.

quip

BANNED
Banned
By that logic, any person has every justifiable right to murder any other person.

Maybe you should ask a person with an unwanted credit card debt whether that is a good enough reason to murder a banker.

Non sequiturs. Try again.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She was impregnated as a result of gang-rape, and will be traumatized further by having to carry and birth a child that she doesn't want and may not have the needs to care for. There's a reason

K. So, according to you, rape is a reason for abortion. Which accounts for an extremely small percentage of abortions. So what other *reasons*?

genuineoriginal

She was impregnated as a result of gang-rape, and will be traumatized further by having to carry and birth a child that she doesn't want and may not have the needs to care for. There's a reason
Killing an innocent baby for the crimes of the father is not a real reason.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Atheists claim to have a moral compass. The only compass they have is themselves. This abortion issue is proof positive that self isn't a very good compass.
Amen to that!

OK, I think they claim to have that compass, but, in fact, lost it on a camping trip!:peach:
:chuckle:

I'm not really sure what leads you to that conclusion, so I can't really respond to it directly. A woman (i.e. a person, with full human rights) has a quite fundamental right to bodily sovereignty, while a fetus (i.e. a potential person, with rights depending on their development into a person), has no right nor ability to demand the support of a woman's body.

So, let the condemnation commence...
Can you show that this is correct using the scientific method?

And to expand a bit more, this is the same attitude that many Christians take toward homosexuals, wanting to punish them by execution as the Bible commands
No one here is saying homosexuals aren't human beings.

:AMR:

Perhaps you should put away the bong pipe first. :up:
No kidding. I'm reminded why I put her on ignore.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
K. So, according to you, rape is a reason for abortion. Which accounts for an extremely small percentage of abortions. So what other *reasons*?

I only support abortion prior to the fetus developing a capacity for physiological pain, around 12 weeks. The only times I think should be exempted are in cases of rape or in cases when the mother's health is endangered.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Killing an innocent baby for the crimes of the father is not a real reason.

If your daughter was impregnated by a rapist, are you telling me you are going to force her to go through with the pregnancy? You're good with traumatizing her further and putting her through peer ridicule? That's sick

genuineoriginal

If your daughter was impregnated by a rapist, are you telling me you are going to force her to go through with the pregnancy? You're good with traumatizing her further and putting her through peer ridicule? That's sick

Let me get this straight.

I have a daughter who is raped.
I have no means to take vengeance on the rapist, who is locked safely away in protective custody.
My daughter is pregnant from the rape.

So, you want me to vent my rage at the rapist on an innocent child?

Does it have to be the rapist's child, or would any innocent child do?
After all, I wouldn't want to kill my own grandchild, that would not be right.