BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
What's the difference?

Based on this definition, not much.

Ethics:
rules of behavior based on ideas about what is morally good and bad

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethic

According to this article there are "three major areas of study within ethics" :

1.Meta-ethics, concerning the theoretical meaning and reference of moral propositions, and how their truth values (if any) can be determined
2.Normative ethics, concerning the practical means of determining a moral course of action
3.Applied ethics, concerning what a person is obligated to do in a specific situation or a particular domain of action[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

Heavy.

I drank what?

Based on this definition, not much.

Ethics:
rules of behavior based on ideas about what is morally good and bad

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethic

According to this article there are "three major areas of study within ethics" :

1.Meta-ethics, concerning the theoretical meaning and reference of moral propositions, and how their truth values (if any) can be determined
2.Normative ethics, concerning the practical means of determining a moral course of action
3.Applied ethics, concerning what a person is obligated to do in a specific situation or a particular domain of action[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

Heavy.

i like my definition better than MW's however it also depends on how one understands Nature, which is a thread that died a sad death, so now i'm attempting to illustrate why that is so critical

anywho, my def goes like this

Morality = What God deems as Good/Evil.

Therefore it is absolutely CRITICAL that one subscribes to Religion in order to properly understand and apply this concept.

Ethics = Whatever makes you feel good that day.

I guess it sorta depends on whatever feelings you have n' stuff or if a bunch of people vote for your feelings or somethin' lulz i dunno, i'm ok you're ok.

and hence the MAJOR difference between the two, and why politics is such a big waste of time, especially when people are debating MORAL issues...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
i like my definition better than MW's however it also depends on how one understands Nature, which is a thread that died a sad death, so now i'm attempting to illustrate why that is so critical

anywho, my def goes like this

Morality = What God deems as Good/Evil.

Therefore it is absolutely CRITICAL that one subscribes to Religion in order to properly understand and apply this concept.

Ethics = Whatever makes you feel good that day.

Are you by chance confusing moral absolutes with moral relativism?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
What's the difference?

Let's start by defining our terms:

Ethics: the actions an individual takes on himself in order to accomplish optimum survival for himself and others on all dynamics. Ethics are reason, consisting of rationality toward the highest level of survival for the individual, the future race, the group and mankind, and the other dynamics taken collectively. It is a personal thing: when one is ethical or “has his ethics in,” it is by his own determinism and is done by himself. The word comes from the Greek ethos, which means “character.”

Moral code: n. a code of good conduct laid down out of the experience of the race to serve as a uniform yardstick for the conduct of individuals and groups. Whenever people get together and operate as groups, they make agreements on codes of conduct regarding what is right and what is wrong, what is moral and what is immoral—in other words, what will be contributive to survival and what will be destructive of survival. A moral code is that series of agreements to which a person has subscribed to guarantee the survival of a group. The origin of a moral code comes about when it is discovered through actual experience that some act is more nonsurvival than prosurvival. The prohibition of this act then enters into the customs of the people and may eventually become a law. A moral code is enforceable. The agreements constituting a moral code are those things which make a society possible. The word moral comes from the Latin mos, meaning “custom.”​

Do you agree with these definitions?

OCTOBER23

SITUATIONAL ETHICS GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO EVALUATE AND

TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT WAY TO REPLY.

So Choose Life.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
*crickets*

well that died rather quickly

so we good?

Ethics =/= Morality

Moving ON :)

:chuckle: No. In college you can sign up for Ethics courses. You cannot sign up for Morals courses. They'd have nothing to teach (1 Co 2:13). :chz4brnz:

frustrated_teacher2.jpg