Town Quixote FARCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

Walk into the nearest university, walk up to a professor of literature, especially if you can find one specializing in the period and then get back to me with what you won't ever acknowledge you enormous goof. :)

Or, you could look at this from the NY Times, I suppose:

"The Arabic manuscript, the Moor tells him, is the "History of Don Quixote de la Mancha, written by Cide Hamete Benengeli, an Arab historian." Cervantes brings the Moor to the cloister of a church and commissions a translation.

We know this is all a jest, as is the very name of the historian: "Cide" is an honorific, "Hamete" is a version of the Arab name Hamid, and "Benengeli" means eggplant."

...At the time when Cervantes was writing this novel, nothing about this jest was possible. Neither an Arabic-speaking Moor nor a Hebrew-speaking Jew would have been readily found in the Toledo marketplace. And no Moor would have translated Arabic in the cloister of a church.

...When Cervantes wrote "Don Quixote" a quarter century later, this experience led to an extensive story about Moors and Christians involving kidnapping, conversion and betrayal. He wrote, though, not as warrior but as a philosopher. His empathy for the Moors is cautious but unmistakable.

... "Don Quixote" is a resigned acknowledgment of a new kind of terrain that defined modernity: in it, very little is certain and much is lost. The book's power, though, also comes from Quixote's stubborn quest: he won't entirely let us accept that something else isn't possible.​

Of course who wrote the thing has little to do with what it's point is, a thing the author tells us early on. But for some reason it's at that point that chrys stops believing everything he reads. :plain:

I have thought that it is also about the idea that nobility may be found in curious and unexpected places....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have thought that it is also about the idea that nobility may be found in curious and unexpected places....
I like that. :) I think the article's author hits the general point but there's room in it for all sorts of interesting notes, like yours.

My point in posting it was mostly to end a goofy, wrong headed bit of nonsense about authorship.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
another dodged question
Chrys, I distinguish between a dodge and an inquiry that is looking for information instead of buying time. Read the article. Follow the link. Actually get to know what you're talking about next time instead of trying to use what you think you know as part of your personal problems with anyone.

Or, it's in there. If you're too lazy to get it I'm too indifferent to you to care that you don't.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Chrys, I distinguish between a dodge and an inquiry that is looking for information instead of buying time. Read the article. Follow the link. Actually get to know what you're talking about next time instead of trying to use what you think you know as part of your personal problems with anyone.

Or, it's in there. If you're too lazy to get it I'm too indifferent to you to care that you don't.

I want to know what you think
about what you have found on the internet
just like
I want to know what someone thinks
about
the bible passages they quote

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I want to know what you think
about what you have found on the internet
just like
I want to know what someone thinks
about
the bible passages they quote
Keep trying, chrys. But I thought that would be easier to digest than academic papers I can line up for you. It has the answer. And it contradicts you. So it's not just two guys talking, even if one of them had a double concentration in literature/creative writing.

You'll just have to find another paper cut to try. This one isn't working. It's objectively dead in the water your argument didn't hold, again.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Keep trying, chrys. But I thought that would be easier to digest than academic papers I can line up for you. It has the answer. And it contradicts you. So it's not just two guys talking, even if one of them had a double concentration in literature/creative writing.

You'll just have to find another paper cut to try. This one isn't working. It's objectively dead in the water your argument didn't hold, again.

you haven't told us what you think it is all about

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't think you did
But then, you thought a literary fiction was a person. So...

Chrys doesn't believe I read Don Quixote. But I have and I've seen the play and a couple of the movies derived from it. Cervantes was a point of emphasis for anyone in literature. Required reading if you were in any sort of a program, though I'd done it before college (God bless you Mrs. DeLoach). It's the jumping off point for the modern novel/narrative in a number of ways.

so
why not tell us now?
Because you're not an us and I ultimately don't care if you believe me or not. That's the short answer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you might also be interested in this

Who Wrote Don Quixote?
There are also books on space aliens. You should probably read one. :plain:

There are books claiming Jesus didn't exist and the Catholic Church is the beast too. You're summer is going to fill up in a hurry. :poly:

the last word
town is not going to tell us what he thinks it is all about
so
why not tell us now?
Because you're not an us and I ultimately don't care if you believe me or not. That's the short answer.

you might also be interested in this

Who Wrote Don Quixote?

I haven't read Don Quixote or have I seen any of the movies and plays that it has spawned. I just found the point/counter-point debate between you and TH fascinating. Knowing that I know nothing of the subject you two were writing about led me to the Wikipedia link. I understand the controversy and the positions you've both carved out. I appreciate the Amazon link you provided as that's where I get most of my books from anyway. But the book itself would be lost on me since I don't have a burning desire to read it, at the moment anyhow.

My reading passion right now is God's word, guns, and Game Theory. I am fascinated with Game Theory and I'm currently reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Paper-Sc...2707&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+paper+scissors+book

I have two other books on Game Theory to read, as well as getting caught up with Game of Thrones books 2-5.

so why does cervantes attribute the story to another author?
Michael Crichton wrote a novel called Eaters of the Dead, which he said in the book is based on the writings of a refined Arab courtier, Ibn Fadlan, in 922 A.D. When I read the book, I thought it was well-written fiction. Some people still believe it is truly based on the journal writings of an Arab courtier. But in reality, it is a retelling of the epic poem known as Beowulf. It's been made into several movies including the 13th Warrior. Whatever the truth is, I enjoyed the books, poems and movies etc. derived from it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Michael Crichton wrote a novel called Eaters of the Dead, which he said in the book is based on the writings of a refined Arab courtier, Ibn Fadlan, in 922 A.D. When I read the book, I thought it was well-written fiction. Some people still believe it is truly based on the journal writings of an Arab courtier. But in reality, it is a retelling of the epic poem known as Beowulf. It's been made into several movies including the 13th Warrior. Whatever the truth is, I enjoyed the books, poems and movies etc. derived from it.

interesting
having an opinion on something is interesting
subjecting those opinions to the critics is interesting
criticizing those opinions without offering your own is not

Status
Not open for further replies.