NAACP leader outed as white

rainee

Yeah, caught this story this morning...very strange. Shoulda just been honest. Not the first time a white person's been busted appropriating another culture slash identity, though. Stupid and unnecessary.

Is she another white woman appropriating another culture or what her parents may fear - a type of sociopath that presents themselves as qualified professionals or doctors or pilots or any of those things that require time, education, training, experience - and they are just really good liars and con men with no conscience?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Is she another white woman appropriating another culture or what her parents may fear - a type of sociopath that presents themselves as qualified professionals or doctors or pilots or any of those things that require time, education, training, experience - and they are just really good liars and con men with no conscience?

I dunno. In Dolezal's case it's not a question of lacking qualifications--the woman's obviously smart, well-educated, hard working, and determined. But all of that's undone by her consistent dishonesty and utter lack of credibility.

bybee

I dunno. In Dolezal's case it's not a question of lacking qualifications--the woman's obviously smart, well-educated, hard working, and determined. But all of that's undone by her consistent dishonesty and utter lack of credibility.

I guess there are many ways to be a Barbie Doll....

Granite

Hall of Fame
I guess there are many ways to be a Barbie Doll....

No idea what that means. I'm saying that the woman obviously could've done her work just as she really was...but obviously there's something else going on there. Could be an over-active fantasy life, self-hatred, or simply a desire to be someone/something else. Who knows.

GFR7

No idea what that means. I'm saying that the woman obviously could've done her work just as she really was...but obviously there's something else going on there. Could be an over-active fantasy life, self-hatred, or simply a desire to be someone/something else. Who knows.
If Jenner can be applauded for all this, then so can she. Why are there two standards of judgment?

Granite

Hall of Fame
If Jenner can be applauded for all this, then so can she. Why are there two standards of judgment?

There's no comparing the two and insisting otherwise is foolish. So I just dismiss this as an "argument" completely out of hand.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There's no comparing the two and insisting otherwise is foolish. So I just dismiss this as an "argument" completely out of hand.

Its the exact same thing, a desire to be something you are not. No matter what both of them do to their outside, they are not what they wish they were and celebrating either, is celebrating mental illness.

rainee

Well, you might change your mind about her not lacking qualifications if you heard someone was masquerading as you simply because they were smart enough to mimic you. Growing up, living life, all that makes you particularly you, yes? Now imagine being female... Oops, actually I don't think you can really know what growing up and being female is like. And while I do, and had a friend who was black (and lovely) I do not know what it is like to be a black woman.

I did dress as a guy with some others girls (we were all 19 and 20) in order to try to sneak into a "men only" place --
do you think I am smart enough to be a representative of you?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, you might change your mind about her not lacking qualifications if you heard someone was masquerading as you simply because they were smart enough to mimic you. Growing up, living life, all that makes you particularly you, yes? Now imagine being female... Oops, actually I don't think you can really know what growing up and being female is like. And while I do, and had a friend who was black (and lovely) I do not know what it is like to be a black woman.

I did dress as a guy with some others girls (we were all 19 and 20) in order to try to sneak into a "men only" place --
do you think I am smart enough to be a representative of you?

I was talking about her academic qualifications. Woman's no dummy, one way or another.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Identifying herself as black is not why the woman is being criticized. It's because of her dishonesty insomuch as being able to fool most of the people she met.

Now, the moment that Bruce Jenner begins to tell people he was denied a job due to being pregnant OR because he is a menopausal woman, he will earn the same amount of criticism for being sneaky and deceitful.

Also, what is with all this *applauded* stuff? There is absolutely nothing exceptional about having an unnecessary medical procedure.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Identifying herself as black is not why the woman is being criticized. It's because of her dishonesty insomuch as being able to fool most of the people she met.

Now, the moment that Bruce Jenner begins to tell people he was denied a job due to being pregnant OR because he is a menopausal woman, he will earn the same amount of criticism for being sneaky and deceitful.

Also, what is with all this *applauded* stuff? There is absolutely nothing exceptional about having an unnecessary medical procedure.

Exactly. She lied about who she was, where she came from--pretty much anything of substance regarding herself. Say what you want about Jenner (and frankly I'm sick of that story) but undergoing that kind of transformation is not "dishonest."

HisServant

Exactly. She lied about who she was, where she came from--pretty much anything of substance regarding herself. Say what you want about Jenner (and frankly I'm sick of that story) but undergoing that kind of transformation is not "dishonest."

Unless they can figure out how to re-write someone's DNA, Bruce will always be male... no matter how much he mutilates himself.

I've always felt its better medicine to work with someone to get them to accept themselves rather than enabling them the false hope of becoming someone else.

It all comes down to the crazy way the media conditions us to never be happy with ourselves... and that purchasing something will some how cure us. In this case Bruce purchased plastic surgery.

Be happy with yourself.. learn to love yourself first... because no amount of money... no purchases.. and no surgical operation will do that for you.

The Berean

I believe these two are connected. By identifying as black she doesn't just mean having dark skin. She means that she "understands the black experience" as if she was born to black parents and grew up as a black person in America. And that is a ridiculous, foolish, and ignorant statement. She has no idea what it means to be truly black. She grew up in Montana in a white family in a white town. Her heritage is Czech, Swedish, and German. As Jon Stewart exclaimed, "That's really f-ing white!". A large number of black women are truly and deeply offended and insulted. And rightfully so. They see Dolezal as a 21st century, black-face, minstrel, clown show. Why does she deny her true heritage? The question I would ask her would be "Are you ashamed of your true heritage?" :think:

This brilliant article brings up several major and key points as to why Dolezal's lies hurt the black community. Dolezal's appropriating black culture is is many ways similar to white supremacists denigrating black culture.

How Rachel Dolezal’s lies hurt black people

Some key points:

If Rachel Dolezal really, truly cared about the black community, then she would have known (especially as a professor of African-American studies) how inappropriate it is as a white woman to try to speak for black people. She would have known that Blackness is more than skin-deep. She would have stayed in her Whiteness and done the hard and necessary work that white allies need to do. She would have used her privilege to make changes in the white community. She would have worked to dismantle the system of privilege that apparently had made Whiteness so unattractive to her.

But instead she fled. And in fleeing into Blackness and claiming it for her own, she did what so many defenders of white supremacy have done — she simplified Blackness to skin tone and hair texture. She divorced the best of black culture from the struggle that it was born from. She claimed the community, the platform, the music, the clothing, the hairstyle — all without a minute of the fear, oppression and discrimination that black Americans have faced for centuries, and still face to this day.

Rachel Dolezal can get a tan and a perm and pass for black in a world that views Blackness simply as anything darker and nappier than white. Black women can’t go a shade or two lighter and become white, they would have to find a way to remove all of their Blackness in order to pass. In a world where anybody can be this one dimensional definition of black, only the privileged few can be white. Blackness disappears, Whiteness remains untouched.

Last edited:

musterion

Don't know if it's been mentioned but this sad tale has just took the worst possible -- but not entirely surprising -- turn for the gross. I refuse to post word of it. If interested, you'll hear of it soon enough.

Where's the vomit smiley...

musterion

I believe these two are connected.

Zackly. The pathetic grifter wouldn't even BE considered dishonest if she hasn't built a career (and was allowed to build a career) based on a transparent, obvious social justice lie, and then was brazen enough to double down on it.

But like I just said...right when you think it can't get any more sordid and tacky...