UK : Labour’s plan to introduce LGBT ed to 5 year olds is their best idea

GFR7

This UK pundit says she thinks this is the best plan Labour has had.

BUT:

Is it wise to expose 5 year olds to such education to accommodate less than 2% of the population?

Similar programs have been proposed in the US and elsewhere.
It is something to ponder, no?

The first time I came across the word “lesbian”, it was being hurled across the playground as an insult. I was about nine and had no idea what one was, but thought it sounded interesting and exotic. I knew I fancied girls, but I didn’t know there was a word for that. In fact, the only word I could think of to describe my attraction to members of the same sex was “disgusting”.

If only I’d been taught, aged five perhaps, that what I was feeling was actually pretty mundane and this “lesbian” thing was about as exotic as a Marmite sandwich. Maybe then, I wouldn’t have burst into tears when I came out to my mum, aged ten. And maybe then I wouldn’t have kept this strange thing that was my sexuality knotted up inside my guts like an especially vindictive tapeworm, until it burst out of me.

Labour’s plan to introduce LGBT-oriented sex education to five-year-olds is simply one of the best ideas they’ve had. Liberal parents may shrug and say, “cool”, Daily Mail readers may reel off the usual Hallmark conservatism stuff about “loss of innocence”. But for me and all the millions of other LGBT people who know first-hand what it’s like to feel alienated at school purely because of our sexuality, this proposed policy couldn’t be more important.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ducation-five-year-olds-best-idea-they-ve-had

Last edited:

TracerBullet

Does black history month or learning about the holocaust also wrongly "accommodate" small percentages of the population?

Christian Liberty

GFR7

Kids should be taught from age 5 that homosexuality is perverted and abnormal. Or younger.
That is the difference between this program and those which deal with blacks or Holocaust victims: The teaching of sexual practices.

In another era there would be no need to teach against homosexuality as the majority has no inclination toward it.

TracerBullet

That is the difference between this program and those which deal with blacks or Holocaust victims: The teaching of sexual practices.
to bad no one is doing that

In another era there would be no need to teach against homosexuality as the majority has no inclination toward it.

just like in another era there was no need to teach anything like the positive accomplishments of African Americans because they weren't the majority.

Word based mystic

as a christian we should not in anyway encourage our government to teach our own or our society that iniquity, sin, perversion of natural behaviors is normal or an acceptable alternative.

This is a parental matter. Delving into sexual practices and activities at that age let alone any other age is NONE of the governments business.

liberals, libertarians should be outraged just as much as right wingers that the government would be trying to usurp parental roles on pushing lifestyle agendas.

Big brother tinkering with indoctrination of our children.

This is not the same as slavery rights nor even rights for individuals to choose their own partners of any kind.
This is government attempting to poke their nose in moral and religious doctrines. defining what sin is and taking away the RIGHTS of parents to teach religious values to their children.

The U.S. Constitution brought the separation of church and state for this reason.
to ensure Government does not impose religious ceremonies or values upon the people.

slavery was an issue of basic rights.
lbgt community have their rights to pursue happiness.

no one steps in the way of that and they have a civil union option for partner recognition they don't have to change the meaning, history and definition of (marriage).
If they want to develop their own brand of religious affiliation that accepts that fine have their own ceremony they can.

They don't have the right to demand the government to change all religious texts and beliefs to make unnatural and non life giving unions as acceptable in that church or spiritual institution.

tracer bullet

Why as a left liberal would you want the government training your children what is right and wrong and educating them in sexual practices. are you a proponent of government taking away from parents this moral education?

oatmeal

This UK pundit says she thinks this is the best plan Labour has had.

BUT:

Is it wise to expose 5 year olds to such education to accommodate less than 2% of the population?

Similar programs have been proposed in the US and elsewhere.
It is something to ponder, no?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ducation-five-year-olds-best-idea-they-ve-had

The majority rules, our Constitution protects the minorities.

However, teaching sexual perversion to five year olds is like teaching fascism and hate to five year olds

TracerBullet

as a christian we should not in anyway encourage our government to teach our own or our society that iniquity, sin, perversion of natural behaviors is normal or an acceptable alternative.

This is a parental matter. Delving into sexual practices and activities at that age let alone any other age is NONE of the governments business.

liberals, libertarians should be outraged just as much as right wingers that the government would be trying to usurp parental roles on pushing lifestyle agendas.

Big brother tinkering with indoctrination of our children.

This is not the same as slavery rights nor even rights for individuals to choose their own partners of any kind.
This is government attempting to poke their nose in moral and religious doctrines. defining what sin is and taking away the RIGHTS of parents to teach religious values to their children.

The U.S. Constitution brought the separation of church and state for this reason.
to ensure Government does not impose religious ceremonies or values upon the people.

slavery was an issue of basic rights.
lbgt community have their rights to pursue happiness.

no one steps in the way of that and they have a civil union option for partner recognition they don't have to change the meaning, history and definition of (marriage).
If they want to develop their own brand of religious affiliation that accepts that fine have their own ceremony they can.

They don't have the right to demand the government to change all religious texts and beliefs to make unnatural and non life giving unions as acceptable in that church or spiritual institution.

tracer bullet

Why as a left liberal would you want the government training your children what is right and wrong and educating them in sexual practices. are you a proponent of government taking away from parents this moral education?

Educating children in sexual practices?

Talking to children about the fact that there are all kinds of people and that some people and even some of them might grow up to fall in love with and get married to someone of the same gender is not indoctrination, it is not training children in sexual practices, it isn't about parental roles, it sin't about agendas.

This is about teaching people of all ages that everyone is different somehow and this particular somehow has a name and that if you are different in this particular way you aren't the only one. It interestingly enough teaches the same thing to those who aren't different in this particular way the same lesson.

Prejudice is a sick and ugly thing and it is based entirely on ignorance. Pretending a minority doesn't exist or doesn't matter encourages ignorance. It is hard to bring up the next generation to embrace hate and discrimination if they see those people you want to diminish as actual people.

Claiming that this is about such things is just false witness. If you want to sit there and go on about "iniquity, sin, perversion" then start with yourself and what you are presenting here.

You talk about separation of church and state but you want to dictate to schools what they can say about or even mention the existence of a minority based on your religious views.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
How would this education happen? What class would it be included in? Is there an equivalent for heterosexuality now?

For too many of us, our first introduction to anything LGBT is via playground meanness. I spent most of my childhood thinking “gay” was a rude word.
If this is about bullying or being made fun of then is there something about those issues in general which something about sexuality could be added to?

When I was five, my very accepting parents just didn’t think to tell me that it’s OK for girls to fancy girls, and I didn’t think to ask them. If my teachers had taken it upon themselves to impart that crucial nugget, even as a side note – “A triangle has three sides. Two plus two is four. Oh, by the way, gay people are a thing and that’s fine” – things could’ve been very, very different.
Then why not tell parents to talk about this stuff instead of having the school system do it?

How does a 5 year old feel they are gay anyway? :AMR:

TIPlatypus

Not this again...

Children at age five shouldn't be taught anything of the sort. Teaching about homosexuality should be done in secondary school, when they are old enough. I think toleration should be taught, but it shouldn't be taught as normal, or fine. That is a ridiculous notion. At the same time we shouldn't forget that they are people too. That in my opinion is the worst thing we could do, and it happens all the time.

bybee

Does black history month or learning about the holocaust also wrongly "accommodate" small percentages of the population?

Of course there is also alopecia, birth marks and a variety of defects upon which we might force little children to dwell?
THEY ARE PREPUBERTAL CHILDREN! Let them be taught good manners and that would take care of most problems in school and on the playground.

Christian Liberty

why should children be taught bigoted lies?

I'm so tired of "Christians" ignoring the Bible. Admittedly, that pretty much applies to a lot of people here, not just you.

yep

of course, retards like traci will try to link the perversion they love with ethnicity

Agreed. Which is stupid.

And who should teach them this?

Parents, wouldn't you think?

Parents. Although, come to think of it, 5 year olds really shouldn't even know about homosexuality. But, whatever they do know should be negative, because God designed the world in such a way as that it is negative.

Christian Liberty

I'm not as hardline when it comes to actively punishing homosexuality as some here, but the idea of a society elevating sin to the same level as ethnic diversity or victims of genocide is just disgusting from my standpoint.

I'd keep it legal because I value freedom that much. But, it does have a corrosive effect on society, and public institutions, where they must exist, should never ENCOURAGE homosexuality.