Morals in Modern-Day Society

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Morals in Modern-Day Society​

Is there room, in modern-day society, for morals? Seeing things that are going on in the US, lately, you would think that the answer is no.
I've seen business owners sued because they don't want to service homosexual weddings. I've seen street preachers arrested because they dare to tell the public that homosexuality and sinful living is wrong. I've seen criminals get called heroes because they killed police officers and police officers called criminals because they killed criminals. The President of the United States ignores the US Constitution to rewrite laws the way he sees fit (instead of going through the US Congress, like he's supposed to do). The US Supreme Court made it all right to kill our unborn children and to "marry" someone of the same gender. Elected officials are getting in trouble, legally, for standing for what they know is right, some even going to jail for doing so. Our children are turning their backs on the faith they were raised with.

Most people would say that there isn't any room for morals and moral judgments. If we stand for what we believe is right, we are told that we're old-fashioned or that our way of thinking has gone the way of the dinosaurs. We are often told that our way of thinking is illegal or soon will be illegal. We are called bigots because we believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, not two men or two women. We are called hypocrites if we've ever done anything wrong before we came to believe in Christ and say that homosexuality is wrong. We're told that we're supporting criminals because we think it's wrong to fight police officers.

I've seen a little hope in this world. Even though my own daughter has turned away from the faith in Christ I raised her in, I've seen other people her age with strong faith. They are raising their children with the same faith I raised my own daughter with. When they have problems they cling to God and each other. They are standing up for what is right and trying to push back the wave of evil that they see coming to our shores.

I believe there is hope for us yet. But, I also believe that we may be living in the end times described in the Bible. It is like the days of
Noah; people eating and drinking and making merry. Brother is turning against brother; children are turning against their parents. Sinful living is becoming the norm in this country. All I can do is stand for what I know is right and pray for this period in time to pass quickly.

E. L. Benz
9/5/15

*****Also posted to my TOL blog*****

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I too believe there is hope

and am willing to struggle against those who stand against God and support perversion and evil

have faith nori

and stock up on weatherstripping :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Morals in Modern-Day Society​

Is there room, in modern-day society, for morals? Seeing things that are going on in the US, lately, you would think that the answer is no.
I've seen business owners sued because they don't want to service homosexual weddings. I've seen street preachers arrested because they dare to tell the public that homosexuality and sinful living is wrong. I've seen criminals get called heroes because they killed police officers and police officers called criminals because they killed criminals. The President of the United States ignores the US Constitution to rewrite laws the way he sees fit (instead of going through the US Congress, like he's supposed to do). The US Supreme Court made it all right to kill our unborn children and to "marry" someone of the same gender. Elected officials are getting in trouble, legally, for standing for what they know is right, some even going to jail for doing so. Our children are turning their backs on the faith they were raised with.

Most people would say that there isn't any room for morals and moral judgments. If we stand for what we believe is right, we are told that we're old-fashioned or that our way of thinking has gone the way of the dinosaurs. We are often told that our way of thinking is illegal or soon will be illegal. We are called bigots because we believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, not two men or two women. We are called hypocrites if we've ever done anything wrong before we came to believe in Christ and say that homosexuality is wrong. We're told that we're supporting criminals because we think it's wrong to fight police officers.

I've seen a little hope in this world. Even though my own daughter has turned away from the faith in Christ I raised her in, I've seen other people her age with strong faith. They are raising their children with the same faith I raised my own daughter with. When they have problems they cling to God and each other. They are standing up for what is right and trying to push back the wave of evil that they see coming to our shores.

I believe there is hope for us yet. But, I also believe that we may be living in the end times described in the Bible. It is like the days of
Noah; people eating and drinking and making merry. Brother is turning against brother; children are turning against their parents. Sinful living is becoming the norm in this country. All I can do is stand for what I know is right and pray for this period in time to pass quickly.

E. L. Benz
9/5/15

*****Also posted to my TOL blog*****

very true. yet many many generations had the same types of issues but different factors. i pray for Jesus' Return, we need Him more than ever.
the worship pastor filled in @ my mom's church last week (she's been telling me how good the pastor is and he's about my age and i should go) and he did a great msg about Honor.

i finally went to see the lauded pastor and he was gone on a mission in Haiti (no comment). but the message of honor and honor in the Bible is prominent. we talked about honoring God, Jesus and people. spouses, parents, children, the USA.

he reflected on the lack of honor shown nearly everywhere and everything. so yes, Morals are lacking in every aspect. Honor is only one of many morals that we need back in the world and it starts in our homes. it's strange how we show so much honor at funerals and we didn;t honor them as we could/should have while alive.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
very true. yet many many generations had the same types of issues but different factors. i pray for Jesus' Return, we need Him more than ever.
the worship pastor filled in @ my mom's church last week (she's been telling me how good the pastor is and he's about my age and i should go) and he did a great msg about Honor.

i finally went to see the lauded pastor and he was gone on a mission in Haiti (no comment). but the message of honor and honor in the Bible is prominent. we talked about honoring God, Jesus and people. spouses, parents, children, the USA.

he reflected on the lack of honor shown nearly everywhere and everything. so yes, Morals are lacking in every aspect. Honor is only one of many morals that we need back in the world and it starts in our homes. it's strange how we show so much honor at funerals and we didn;t honor them as we could/should have while alive.

Someone must have hijacked your account patrick as those words certainly aren't coming from the same person who wrote these words just over a month ago:

Originally Posted by patrick jane
P.S. i am not against homosexuals or gay marriage either when based on love and family and doing good and charitable deeds. Jesus Christ's Commandments are from the Father and His teachings are as well. Meshak is right -
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4404135&postcount=12

Buzzword

Nothing said on this thread is anything new.

Every generation must deal with their children and grandchildren forming a new set of social and cultural norms based on their own unique experiences as they reach adulthood, and in America's case the older generations have a bad habit of automatically decrying their children and grandchildren's norms as "immoral."

What no generation seems yet able to do is trust their own childrearing abilities, and pass the torch with total faith in themselves and in their children.

Of course, this isn't helped by the enforced religious doctrine that humanity is on a downward spiral, and only by divine intervention will we avoid self-destruction.
...even though all of history up to this point completely proves the opposite.

The evidence points to an UPWARD movement and growth of humanity, moving from barbaric practices toward a more enlightened society.
As a Christian, I see God's hand in that upward motion, and believe Him to have been active in and through human history to mature us as a species into creatures more and more like Himself, able to love totally and act selflessly.
I interpret Christian eschatology to be the divine icing on the cake He's been making for the entirety of our existence as a species.

Thus, I treat any and all attempts to prevent that maturation, and anyone making them, as anti-Christ.
Metaphorically speaking, any forces of darkness to be overcome with and leading up to Christ's return are those which would try to return humanity to a dark age of barbarity, intolerance, bigotry, prejudice, sexism, classism, oppression, repression, etc.

That we have generally identified all of the above as diseases to be cured within ourselves as a species proves to me that we are not in some spiritual or moral downward spiral which God will have to save us from.
We are being made perfect as a society by the presence of His Spirit and by the selfless actions of those in and through whom His Spirit works.

journey

I agree with the OP. These might be the end days of this age, so I think that the time might be drawing near for God to usher in the Tribulation Period. However, the thread topic is morals. I think that morals have declined in this country obviously and radically over the last 50 years. Things are going to get much worse before the Second Coming of Christ. Those who survive the Seven Year Tribulation Period will see most of the world population die. Jesus Christ Himself will mark the end of the Tribulation Period with His Second Coming in great and holy wrath.

PureX

The OP confuses religion with morality. It's not morality that's being rejected, it's religion. People are still as moral or immoral as they ever were. And as always, no one entirely agrees about what our moral imperatives ought to be.

Also, too many people these days confuse moral conventions with civil authority. It's not the purpose of government in our nation (or in any modern nation) to establish or enforce morality. The purpose of government is to establish and maintain peace, security, and prosperity for the society it governs.

bybee

The OP confuses religion with morality. It's not morality that's being rejected, it's religion. People are still as moral or immoral as they ever were. And as always, no one entirely agrees about what our moral imperatives ought to be.

Also, too many people these days confuse moral conventions with civil authority. It's not the purpose of government in our nation (or in any modern nation) to establish or enforce morality. The purpose of government is to establish and maintain peace, security, and prosperity for the society it governs.

It has been said so many times "The government cannot establish morality". I disagree! The government, particularly this administration, does legislate and advocate a climate in which its' chosen moral code is being enforced.

Buzzword

America is the bastion of western christianity

You misspelled "bastardization".

Too many American churchgoers confuse the fading of Christian privilege with active persecution, even though they have access to unlimited information and can easily see and read about ACTUAL persecution of Christians happening in other parts of the world.

"Christianity started in Israel; was exported to Greece, where it was made into a philosophy; taken to Rome, where it was made into an organization; sent to Europe, where it was made into a culture; and sent finally to America, where evangelicals made it into a business enterprise."
-Tony Campolo

Agreed.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
-Sir Terry Pratchett

PureX

It has been said so many times "The government cannot establish morality". I disagree! The government, particularly this administration, does legislate and advocate a climate in which its' chosen moral code is being enforced.
No, all that's happening is that people are refusing to bow to religious moral imperatives as they once did. It has little to do with this administration. Politicians don't start these trends, they follow them. Obama began being against gay marriage, because he thought society was against gay marriage. Now he's in favor of it because it has become apparent that most of society is in favor of it. That's the way politicians are. They aren't really leaders, they're mostly just followers pretending to lead. Especially in this country.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You misspelled "bastardization".

Too many American churchgoers confuse the fading of Christian privilege with active persecution, even though they have access to unlimited information and can easily see and read about ACTUAL persecution of Christians happening in other parts of the world.

"Christianity started in Israel; was exported to Greece, where it was made into a philosophy; taken to Rome, where it was made into an organization; sent to Europe, where it was made into a culture; and sent finally to America, where evangelicals made it into a business enterprise."
-Tony Campolo

Agreed.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
-Sir Terry Pratchett

Those who do know Jesus would not agree with your summation...and I was saved through an American ministry

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Actually, I don't confuse religion with morality. I believe that religion is part of morality which stems from God to begin with.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Which summation, and would not agree based on what?

Whatever you think you see in the natural, the Holy Ghost has always backed up as much of the gospel as is preached, and there is one thing about Americans...they are a generous, giving people.

....a little excitable sometimes mebbe