ECT Reformed Theology

Doom

Protestant theology is in it's very nature based in predestination, so even if you disagree with Calvinism you are still throwing that grenade pretty close to your own beliefs whether you realize it or not.
Predestination of some thing, not someone. Huge difference.

Cross Reference

2 Corinthians 11 English Standard Version (ESV)

11 I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me! 2 For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ. 3 But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough. 5 Indeed, I consider that I am not in the least inferior to these super-apostles. 6 Even if I am unskilled in speaking, I am not so in knowledge; indeed, in every way we have made this plain to you in all things.

12 And what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory

Matthew 25 (ESV)

25 “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7 Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Ephesians 1 (ESV)
4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Romans 9:11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls—

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Matthew 7 (ESV)

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

So what part of all that do you believe the rest of us are reading improperly that we might find agreement if we could just see it as you do?

Doom

let's try this

before Jesus
you could not be saved
but
you could be a good person
and
were saved once Jesus did His thing

does that make any sense to you?
It makes sense, but it is wrong. There is none who does good, no not one.

No man has the freewill to be righteous. It is a gift received when one believes the gospel.

MaxGrit

A big problem with people that have carnal faiths in Jesus Christ are discernment of the scriptures. They don't have the Holy Spirit to teach them. In fact, it is impossible to understand God's Word without the Holy Spirit's guidance.

Cross Reference

A big problem with people that have carnal faiths in Jesus Christ are discernment of the scriptures. They don't have the Holy Spirit to teach them. In fact, it is impossible to understand God's Word without the Holy Spirit's guidance.

Are you a Pentecostal?

Doom

Therefore no proponent of reformed theology has the Holy Spirit.

Thanks for your confession. :up:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't even know what that is, I would have to look it up.

You are not. Pentecost is an Israelite festival and was prophecy. It is not about the Body of Christ. The Body of Christ was a mystery hidden until revealed to Paul.

MaxGrit

I'll wait.

Best answer is that I'm like Paul in personality and thinking style. It's easy for me to know what Paul wants to convey, what he is thinking, and why.

The Lord introduced me to Paul with this line, "To live is Christ, to die is Gain." I know how you feel Paul.

Cross Reference

Best answer is that I'm like Paul in personality and thinking style. It's easy for me to know what Paul wants to convey, what he is thinking, and why.

The Lord introduced me to Paul with this line, "To live is Christ, to die is Gain." I know how you feel Paul.
Paul was a Pentecostal. You need to know what a Pentecostal is and that he is equipped to hear from God irrespective of what you may hear about the abuse of the necessary gifts of God by the administration of the Holy Spirit that by them is the Holy Spirit understood when He speaks/teaches.

musterion

What was Paul's reason for distinguishing between two Gospels: the Gospel for the Uncircumcision and the Gospel for the Circumcision (Gal 2:7-8)?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What was Paul's reason for distinguishing between two Gospels: the Gospel for the Uncircumcision and the Gospel for the Circumcision (Gal 2:7-8)?

Distinction without a difference.

There is only one Gospel, promised by God from the beginning of history.

MaxGrit

Paul was a Pentecostal. You need to know what a Pentecostal is and that he is equipped to hear from God irrespective of what you may hear about the abuse of the necessary gifts of God by the administration of the Holy Spirit that by them is the Holy Spirit understood when He speaks/teaches.

I love how God answers prayers which I didn't know to prayed for, yet the Holy Spirit knew and intercedes on my behalf.

Big time prayers too!

MaxGrit

8 (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles)

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?”

15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Doom

I thought reformed theology in some form or another came out the Protestant Reformation beginning with Luther.

As someone who is Dispensation, I mean you, Doom, is this not another form of Protestantism?

Sincere question!
There are bits of truth intertwined in all denominations and non-denominations.

MaxGrit

Yes, I would agree wholeheartedly.

I mentioned to another member here, that I have to fight being envious of those who are so sure of what they believe the Lord is saying through Scripture.

They so certain that they don't even read the Bible. A lot of them going to Hell for believing in demons.