toldailytopic: Flags at half-staff for Whitney Houston? Should government officially

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 16th, 2012 08:52 AM

toldailytopic: Flags at half-staff for Whitney Houston? Should government officially honor such people?

1304701148-half-mast-flag.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do we prop up the wrong role models?

Mother Of Fallen Marine Offended By Half-Mast Flag For Houston

“I was hurt and offended. Disappointed. Saddened,” she said. “I felt like the honor that was given to my son was tarnished.”

McGeath had three sons who were active duty Marines.

Her oldest, Philip, was killed by a suicide bomber just four weeks ago in Afghanistan. He was 25.

“They killed my son.They took his body away from me,” she said, overcome by emotion.

Arizona, the McGeath’s former home state, lowered their flags in his honor.

“That honor meant a lot to me,” McGeath said.

McGeath says Houston is not deserving of that same honor.

“Nothing against Ms. Houston because she was a beautiful singer and I was a fan for years,” McGeath said.

But, “It was like putting them on the same level. And I know how my son lived. And I know through the media how Ms. Houston lived,” she said.

bybee

Do we prop up the wrong role models?

Mother Of Fallen Marine Offended By Half-Mast Flag For Houston

“I was hurt and offended. Disappointed. Saddened,” she said. “I felt like the honor that was given to my son was tarnished.”

McGeath had three sons who were active duty Marines.

Her oldest, Philip, was killed by a suicide bomber just four weeks ago in Afghanistan. He was 25.

“They killed my son.They took his body away from me,” she said, overcome by emotion.

Arizona, the McGeath’s former home state, lowered their flags in his honor.

“That honor meant a lot to me,” McGeath said.

McGeath says Houston is not deserving of that same honor.

“Nothing against Ms. Houston because she was a beautiful singer and I was a fan for years,” McGeath said.

But, “It was like putting them on the same level. And I know how my son lived. And I know through the media how Ms. Houston lived,” she said.

No!

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Absolutely not. Outrageous... Makes me sick to my stomach. What a slap in the face to our fallen service men and women...

1PeaceMaker

Seems like they are spitting on American ideas of honor and decency, just like they started doing in airports. Nothing new to see here.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm with everyone else. I don't see any justification for lowering the flag for her.

noguru

Well, she sang the National Anthem once.....added a bunch of notes.

:eek:linger:

I think it is in referrence to that performance. Many claim that was the best rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" ever performed at the Super Bowl. She did have an amazing voice. Though her choice in songs was never really up there on my list, except for that one. Nor do I think her whole diatribe with Diane Sawyer about crack reflected well on her own sensibilities.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I think it is in referrence to that performance. Many claim that was the best rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" ever performed at the Super Bowl. She did have an amazing voice. Though her choice in songs was never really up there on my list, except for that one. Nor do I think her whole diatribe with Diane Sawyer about crack reflected well on her own sensibilities.

I guess we can expect the same treatment for Rosanne Barr when the time comes.

Believer

I don't think any celebrity is worthy of lowering the flag to half-staff. To me it just seems like that honor is due only to those who left a monumental effect on our nation (e.g. Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, etc.). I'm not sure I can think of any celebrity worthy of such honor.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just another example of how low the bar is set on morality in this country. Sigh.

AMR

noguru

I guess we can expect the same treatment for Rosanne Barr when the time comes.

:rotfl:

I hope not.

Well that certainly would not be as bad as if that treatment were bestowed when the time comes for Rosie O'donnell. At least Rosanne Barr has a good sense of humor.

rexlunae

toldailytopic: Flags at half-staff for Whitney Houston? Should government officially honor such people?

While I agree with the general sentiment that Whitney Houston isn't really the right person to receive this honor, I'd take the question farther as point out that there is no circumstance under which all people for whom the flags are lowered will be even close to equally deserving. The marine who makes the ultimate sacrifice will always be more deserving than a President who dies of old age, and yet both events are probably worth applying the state ceremonies for official recognition.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Flags at half-staff for Whitney Houston? Should government officially honor such people?

A favorite son or daughter passing tragically? Sure.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Let see, what did Houston do? She sang the national anthem at a football game--no- she lip synced it after prerecording it. Flags are flown half mast for this person? :mmph: Why don't I go out and lip sync at a foot ball game. Maybe I get flags flown half mast for me?

Flying the flag at half mast should be reserved for heroes that die in service to this country. Houston is far from being a national hero. She was a drug user that was often late for performances or just flat out missed performances. She used pot and cocaine, sometime mixing the two. Her latest abuse was of prescription drugs. She was a substance abuser and did it for years. What she has done to herself is destructive. In short she killed herself looking for the next high. That doesn't qualify as dying in service to this country. Lets reserve this honor of lowering the flag to half mast for the real heroes such as our servicemen that die in the line of duty.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let see, what did Houston do?

Possessed one of the greatest and most imitated voices in the history of the industry. Here's a link to a number of industry records of note.

She sang the national anthem at a football game--no- she lip synced it after prerecording it.
Both, actually, though the recording was used, as it tends to be, for mostly technical reasons. Houston wasn't a studio creation. She was fairly noted for ability to reproduce live versions that equaled or surpassed her recordings. And she donated the profit from that immensely popular rendition to help the soldiers and families of the Gulf War. Later, in the wake of 911, she released it again, donating the profits to the firefighters and other victims' families.

Houston is far from being a national hero. She was a drug user that was often late for performances or just flat out missed performances.
You want list of people possessing talents that inspired and even altered the cultural landscape who were horrifically flawed human beings?

The honor isn't a celebration of her failings, which are a part of the public record. It's a recognition of her talent and impact and of the loss attending the tragic end of her addiction.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Governor Wrong to Have Flag Lowered to Half Staff for Celebrities

"Yesterday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie ordered all New Jersey State and American flags to be lowered to half staff on Saturday in honor of Entertainer Whitney Houston who passed away this week.

Last year, the governor did the same for Clarence Clemmons, the saxophone player for the E Street Band.

In January, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett ordered the state flag to half staff for three days in honor of Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno when he passed.

We take great issue with this practice.

Ms. Houston and Mr. Clemmons are both children of our great state and were both wildly successful. Each has made a significant contribution to music, culture, and the arts, and both are deserving of many accolades.

But just as an American serviceman killed in Helmand Province, Afghanistan is not deserving of a Grammy award, musicians and celebrities are not deserving of the lowering of the American flag."
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/news/njl021612.htm

Flag code:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm