ECT Two different gospels? One for the circumcisions and another for the uncircumcision?

oatmeal

Galatians 1:1-2:21

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.

24 And they glorified God in me.

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Did Peter and Paul have two different sets of truths?

Was there two different sons of God that died for their sins?

Were there two different Gods?

Or was the approach different?

Judeans would be familiar with the law of Moses

Gentiles would not be

Would there be one set of truths for Judeans and an entirely different set of truths, maybe even contradictory, for the Gentiles?

God forbid.

It was the differing backgrounds of those two groups of people that required two different approaches

Do you teach scripture to a five year old the same way you teach scripture on this website to a sixty year old who has been reading scripture for decades?

For that matter, would you teach the same truths? Some overlap would be there, but there are truths that the five year old would not yet be able to comprehend.

Is there a different lord Jesus for women than there are for men?

Or for wives vs. husbands?

There are places and times and truths that have to have a hard line to it, but were there two different gospels?

No, not at all.

There is but one gospel for this age of grace

kweshtuns? commints? snipe rimarks?

or for those who can spell English words:

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks?

SaulToPaul 2

Look at Abraham before and after circumcision. Look at his requirements.
Just think on it. He is the father of both.

oatmeal

Look at Abraham before and after circumcision. Look at his requirements.
Just think on it. He is the father of both.

Good point!

Abraham is referred to as the father of those who believe regardless of whether they were Judean or Gentile.

oatmeal

there is one gospel

why do you add 'for this age of grace'?

There was a gospel in the garden of Eden.

But once they disobeyed that gospel, and were evicted, the gospel changed for they no longer were in the garden.

Abraham was not subject to the law of Moses, for Moses did not precede Abraham.

Jesus Christ fulfilled that law of Moses, having fulfilled it, what was next?

More Law? or the abundance of grace?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
There was a gospel in the garden of Eden.

oh

I can see we do not have a common understanding of what the gospel is

gospel is the good news
we can now be saved
before Jesus did what He did
no one could be saved
no one

oatmeal

oh

gospel is the good news
we can now be saved
no one could be saved
no one

There was good news in the garden!

Genesis 1:28-31;2:18

But the bad news was brought upon man by man himself.

Even so, God still had good news for A and E, but not so good for the serpent

Genesis 3:15

God had the situation in hand.

As a friend of mine stated regarding his favorite "go to" verse, Genesis 1:1, God created the heavens and the earth, He can handle my challenges just fine.

SaulToPaul 2

To understand why MAD wackos say that the gospel of uncircumcision and the gospel of circumcision are different, please study what God said to Abraham while he was in each state. He said some different things, and gave him different requirements.

:e4e:

oatmeal

oh

gospel is the good news
we can now be saved
no one could be saved
no one

Yes, gospel means good news

God is about good news for everyone, but, we must believe that good news to be the recipients of the benefits of that good news.

There is good news throughout scripture, even when Israel was captive. God is merciful and compassionate and patient even when they/we mess up

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

So then Paul did not go to the Jew first? And Peter did not go to gentiles?

oatmeal

To understand why MAD wackos say that the gospel of uncircumcision and the gospel of circumcision are different, please study what God said to Abraham while he was in each state. He said some different things, and gave him different requirements.

:e4e:

Differing circumstances require different approaches, David did not face all his enemies with the same sling and five stones.

But as long as David was obedient to God, God always looked out for him, even when David was screwing up, God was willing to be merciful

Jesus did not tell all the blind people he healed to go wash in the pool of Siloam

He did not tell James or John, "Get thee behind me Satan" at least from what we know from scripture, Peter alone was the recipient of that rebuke, yet, had James or John made the same error, surely Jesus would have corrected them in some fashion as well.

Jesus sent out some and told them not to take a bunch of luggage with them, another time, he told them to make sure they were well supplied.

Luke 22:35

And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Differing circumstances require different solutions, yet it is the same God

oatmeal

So then Paul did not go to the Jew first? And Peter did not go to gentiles?

Where do you live?

Where do I live?

What is your culture?

How does it differ from mine?

Should I teach another Jesus to my culture because it is different than yours?

Is our Christ divided?

Or will your circumstances and your background and education and skill set and family circumstances enable you to reach people that I would have more difficulty reaching?

Peter's background and mindset was such that he would be particularly adept at reaching the circumcision.

Paul's broader education and background and heart's desire would enable him to handle the Gentiles more effectually

Who are people you could empathize with more?

Who do you have more in common with that you could help feel comfortable learning more scripture?

Do you hang around with college grads or high school dropouts?

Is the message different? or the approach?

Cross Reference

oh

gospel is the good news
we can now be saved
no one could be saved
no one

Absolutely correct!

Man had no advocate with God after Adam transgressed before Jesus became ours.

Funny doctrines and even not so funny ones always lead 'searchers' of that which will satisfy their sinful condition, astray.

oatmeal

I Peter 5:5-11

Can anyone imagine that Paul would have a problem with Peter teaching that?

Paul would have completely agreed with God's words that Peter wrote.

Peter had no problem with Paul's teachings, Peter had to learn from Paul.

Even though Peter had been first to go to the Gentiles, Paul surpassed Peter in overcoming the prejudice against Gentiles, hence, Paul rebuking Peter in Galatians 2:11-14

Paul saw that they did not walk according to the truth of the gospel.

Whose gospel? Paul's gospel? Peter's gospel?

or

God's gospel?

I Corinthians 1:10-13

Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

One gospel because there is one God and Father of us all

Ephesians 4:3-6

Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

oatmeal

what is the good news?

John 3:16 is a popular place to start

But, more specifically, for this age of grace, Romans through Thessalonians

Romans 5:1

Romans 5:9, I Thessalonians 1:10

Romans 8:1,37

the good news is rich and eloquently expressed in Paul's epistles

SaulToPaul 2

Differing circumstances require different approaches, David did not face all his enemies with the same sling and five stones.

But as long as David was obedient to God, God always looked out for him, even when David was screwing up, God was willing to be merciful

Jesus did not tell all the blind people he healed to go wash in the pool of Siloam

He did not tell James or John, "Get thee behind me Satan" at least from what we know from scripture, Peter alone was the recipient of that rebuke, yet, had James or John made the same error, surely Jesus would have corrected them in some fashion as well.

Jesus sent out some and told them not to take a bunch of luggage with them, another time, he told them to make sure they were well supplied.

Luke 22:35

And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Differing circumstances require different solutions, yet it is the same God

Abe is the father of the uncircumcision and the circumcision.

We can learn much by reviewing Genesis and seeing the origins of the gospel of circumcision and the gospel of uncircumcision.

It will become evident that they are not the same.