California lawmakers seek to end 'personal belief' vaccine exemptions

Daedalean's_Sun

Nobody knew I was going to be allergic. How do you think you find out if you have an allergy? Are you just born knowing?

There are only a few things that would cause an allergic reaction. One being a chicken/egg allergy, which you would know if you've ever had eggs for breakfast. The other being a gelatin allergy, which is present in many foods. So they would know based on any previous allergic reactions, and if unsure there are simple tests that can determine if you have allergies to any specific ingredient.

The physician is required to ask.

shagster01

There are only a few things that would cause an allergic reaction. One being a chicken/egg allergy, which you would know if you've ever had eggs for breakfast. The other being a gelatin allergy, which is present in many foods. So they would know based on any previous allergic reactions, and if unsure there are simple tests that can determine if you have allergies to any specific ingredient.

The physician is required to ask.

I got the mmr vaccination and was specifically only allergic to the rubella part of it.

elohiym

Opposition to vaccinations ...

Do you oppose any vaccines? Yes? No?
Are you fully vaccinated with the same vaccines mandated for the school children in your state? Yes? No?

... seems to stem from the very same willful lethal stupidity that leads people to deny climate change.

Better to compare the denial of court awards for serious vaccine jury due to the MMR to the denial of climate change.

Some folks, I'm convinced, have a death wish...and want to take everybody else with them.

You are describing the person wanting to take potentially lethal vaccines for relatively harmless and possibly beneficial infections and then force other people's children to get those vaccines without exemption. Isn't that ironic?

Daedalean's_Sun

Out of how many reported cases worldwide in a population? Regardless, you're describing fatalities in a population of 7,000,000,000, so it's not many relatively speaking.

...vaccines for relatively harmless and possibly beneficial infections...

There were 145,700 fatalities from measles in 2013 source.

That is 8x the number of fatalities caused by terrorism :CRASH: :Letsargu: globally in the same year.

Relative to say terrorism? Ergo your logic, terrorism is relatively harmless. Incidence rates are not a measure of lethality.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you oppose any vaccines?

Can't really think of any off the top of my head. How do you feel about typhoid and polio?

Are you fully vaccinated with the same vaccines mandated for the school children in your state?

Uh, school children? And I doubt it, technically, considering I don't live in my birth state.

You are describing the person wanting to take potentially lethal vaccines for relatively harmless and possibly beneficial infections and then force other people's children to get those vaccines without exemption.

No, I'm not...

Isn't that ironic?

...and no, it isn't.

You're quickly turning into an irrational reckless devil-may-care loon.

elohiym

Yes, but you don't have to exercise it, and certainly not a right when it endangers other people.

You want to injure my children with a measles vaccination in order to prevent a relatively harmless infection you wrongly assume has no benefit to humanity while research shows: Measles virus infection without rash in childhood is related to disease in adult life. A parent should care that: A reduced risk of Parkinson's disease was associated with most childhood viral infections.

elohiym

elohiym said:
Out of how many reported cases worldwide in a population? Regardless, you're describing fatalities in a population of 7,000,000,000, so it's not many relatively speaking.

Relative to say terrorism?

No, relative to the enormous population of the world, and relative to the other things children die from yearly, like riding a bicycle.

Ergo your logic, terrorism is relatively harmless.

No, that's your logic. I understand that 21st century terrorists want to detonate nukes and use biological weapons to kill masses of people. You didn't see a global war on terrorism after the Munich Olympics massacre, did you?

Incidence rates are not a measure of lethality.

If we know the population size, the yearly incidence of measles infection and death rate, we can do some simple math to see if we're dealing with something scary or not. In the case of measles, it's just not scary at all.

U.S. population in 1963 was 189.2 million. According to the CDC and estimated 3-4 million a year were infected and there were 500 deaths. Before vaccination, 3,000,000 cases is less than 2% of the population, and 500 deaths is less than .02% of the people that get infected--a tiny fraction of the population. Not scary. Understand?

If a person gets it the chance of death from infection is less than the chance of getting a seizure from the vaccine (.03%). The chance of getting a seizure is probably higher but I'm just using CDC provided numbers for my argument.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You claim to be a scientist? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you want to run the risk of your own children dying horribly, go ahead and knock yourself out. That kind of insanity doesn't entitle you to any kind of high ground whatsoever.

elohiym

elohiym said:
Are you fully vaccinated with the same vaccines mandated for the school children in your state?
Uh, school children? And I doubt it, technically, considering I don't live in my birth state.

Interesting. Do you stay away from children? Do you tell your vaccinated friends that you are not vaccinated for everything they are vaccinated for? Do you get the influenza vaccine every season? Yes? No?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seriously, if you want to run the risk of your own children dying horribly, go ahead and knock yourself out. That kind of insanity doesn't entitle you to any kind of high ground whatsoever.

Not to mention exposing other children to the diseases ...

Daedalean's_Sun