Most moving piece of music

Buzzword

I get blindsided and left choking back tears by songs I never would have expected all the time.

The most recent was seeing around 500 Oklahoma children, grades 1-5, sing Vince Gill and Jimmy Webb's "Oklahoma Rising".

But as far as songs that regularly leave me feeling moved?
Street Corner Symphony

Starts at about 1:50.

Baba Yetu

The combination of the overall POWER of the harmonies and knowing that the lyrics are the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.

genuineoriginal

What is the most moving music you have heard?

_____
Music to deter yobs by

The magic of Mozart has changed the atmosphere at a bus station in Beverley in East Yorkshire. Residents near the Sow Hill bus station had complained of youths playing loud music, shouting abuse and urinating near their front doors.

Last summer, East Riding of Yorkshire Council installed a public-address system with covert, vandal-proof speakers in the bus station and along the road and started piping out music from 1930-2330 each evening.

A woman who works locally says: "The music has made a huge difference.

"A lot of children used to hang around the bus station at lunchtime and after school and they have been banished.

"I used to feel intimidated by them when I was walking home from work, but now you don't see them standing around any more."
_____​

nikolai_42

I get blindsided and left choking back tears by songs I never would have expected all the time.

The most recent was seeing around 500 Oklahoma children, grades 1-5, sing Vince Gill and Jimmy Webb's "Oklahoma Rising".

I can relate. There's something about masses singing in unison that has that sort of affect. I remember seeing clips of a flash mob doing Handel's Hallelujah chorus that was pretty powerful in a similar way...

But as far as songs that regularly leave me feeling moved?
Street Corner Symphony

Starts at about 1:50.

Baba Yetu

The combination of the overall POWER of the harmonies and knowing that the lyrics are the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.[/QUOTE]

There are a whole host of hymns that have lyrics about which I think the same way.

Selaphiel

Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Pärt. Sublime simplicity, not one superfluous note.

Tied with the 2nd movement of Symphony no.3 by Henryk Gorecki. Especially when you know that the lyrics sung in that is a prayer to the blessed virgin, scraped on the wall in a Gestapo prison cell by an 18 year old girl:

nikolai_42

Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Pärt. Sublime simplicity, not one superfluous note.

Violins always seem to evoke quite a bit with just a little strain (if played well, that is...).

Tied with the 2nd movement of Symphony no.3 by Henryk Gorecki. Especially when you know that the lyrics sung in that is a prayer to the blessed virgin, scraped on the wall in a Gestapo prison cell by an 18 year old girl:

PureX

Having a history of alcohol addiction, and first hand experience of the horror-show that life becomes under it's spell, I tend to get emotional when I hear stories from people who have also been there, and who have found the way out. A movie like 'Tender Mercies' is a great film in it's own right, but it has a profound effect on someone like me because I know the story, myself, and have known so many friends who have been there, too, and have raged at God, and fate, and life, and the world, and then were finally broken, and surrendered to the incredible love of strangers who showed them how to live again.

This song probably seems a bit corny to most people, but I see a man who's been there, singing from the deepest part of himself, about what it feels like to face 'rock bottom'. And I can feel the incredible gratitude he's expressing toward his God for being there with him in that moment, and for having always been there with him, even if unrealized.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Romeo and Juliet phantasy by Tchai of the chovsky

Vesti la gubba

Ombra mai fu

Yesterday

Variations upon a theme by Paganini

Pie Jesu...Hayley Westenra

Cavatina

Beniamino Gigli

Last edited: