All Things Jack

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
BTW, I don't know the guide number for your on-camera flash, but I'm pretty sure it would be effective. Worked for all the Pentax DSLRs I've used. The ping-pong ball is also useful for a fill-in when shooting outdoors in very contrasty light, to soften shadows.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Window light is both soft and dramatic, and should be learned and used often. If your camera has an HDR option, it can decrease contrast and give you both highlights and shadow detail when using window light.
Have an HDR option but it didn't activate. Gave me a pop up that either it couldn't as set up or the camera as constituted. :think: Also, should I set the High ISO to normal, low or high? I understand it's about noise reduction, but won't that take some of the sharpness out of my shots?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Here's an easy alternative, that pretty much does it all for you, and will improve almost any shot with excessive contrast:
http://www.autohdr.co.uk/

Martin Sykes, who built this freeware program, is no longer with us, but his widow keeps the site up. You can't really beat it for quick and effective improvement. Even if you have only one image, it does a great job. You want to open the option window first time, and get rid of the watermark provision, and make the max size larger. It's pretty easy to do, and Martin even left instruction on how to do it. He accepted donations, if you thought the software was worth it.

15968329616_8d7b80df39_n.jpg
15806710908_af080fbfb6_n.jpg

This was a cell phone snapshot, in pretty horrible lighting, but notice how the second one has pulled detail out of the blown highlights and blocked shadows. That's pretty much the default result in AutoHDR, but you can tweak it to make it even better.

If you want to clean up noise, you might want to try the trial version of this:
http://neatimage.com/

Neat Image is easy to use and you can use the trial version as long as you like. The purchased version is of course somewhat handier.

Unless you want to really get into postprocessing, these two will handle almost everything you need.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Lovely shot. Lighting was precisely right. He has a very nice smile, and the catchlights in his eyes are nicely placed.

BTW, HDR actually increases noise unless you use some kind of reduction program. Higher ISOs will also increase noise. Good noise-reduction software like Neat Image will greatly improve the image with little reduction in sharpness.

I will sometimes use "unsharp mask" at a low setting after noise reduction, to minimize the loss of sharpness. Often, the loss is technical, and would not be noticed in an 8X10 print.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wanted to keep a shot of Jack's first choice in trees here. :) Sickness aside, it was a very lovely Christmas eve and thereafter. We put it in the hall just outside of his playroom. It's typically that room or this hall where you'll find most of the indoor shots you'll find here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just a couple of things from the other day...a dry creek bed, slightly iced, a bridge and what I saw under it. Jack being Jack.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Just a couple of things from the other day...a dry creek bed, slightly iced, a bridge and what I saw under it. Jack being Jack.

Beautiful photos, TH. I like all Jack's photos, that goes without saying but I'll say it again anyway.

But that one of the ice and leaves - that one's intriguing because the leaves look like smothered bugs to me. (Rorschach, anyone? :eek:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Beautiful photos, TH. I like all Jack's photos, that goes without saying but I'll say it again anyway.

But that one of the ice and leaves - that one's intriguing because the leaves look like smothered bugs to me. (Rorschach, anyone? :eek:)
I was under the bridge and forgot to take off the polarizing lens which really brought up the purple in the leaves. Had to raise the light and remove a little noise but I love the result. It's resized here but is a very large shot I've cut into four panels.

Bugs? :) I saw faces. You should see it larger. They really come out.