I also love dialgue
and
that is also very difficult here at tol

thinking, logic, reason, and listening must all come into play

don't forget common sense

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Dialogue is easy. Dialectic is hard. It's findable here.

But you have to accept that people can disagree strongly with you, and still be good people.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That's why I do not like discussing politics. Someone always says right wing is unchristian or left wing is unchristian.

Pretty much always. Not surprisingly, those making the claims are usually the faux Christians.

Volts

I was wondering if we could perhaps come up with some structure to debates and arguments.

For example, posting only relevant things, not being anti-intellectual, not avoiding questions (i.e. saying, "But this is not relevant").

I also think that commentary on the Bible is a bit redundant. A prime example is when people say things like:

Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Therefore God created time.

Any further suggestions?
It would make things so much easier.

Someone can make an argument. Then, someone can make a rebuttal to that argument. Then, the first person can make rebuttal to that rebuttal and so on.

Here is a good book about making arguments: http://www.amazon.com/Rulebook-Arguments-Hackett-Student-Handbooks/dp/0872209547

Here is a good book about avoiding fallacies when interpreting the Bible: http://www.amazon.com/Exegetical-Fa...16245371&sr=1-1&keywords=exegetical+fallacies

TIPlatypus

The thing is though, it get a little bit boring rebutting the same things over and over because you just can't agree. At least we should decide some things which are good ways of arguing and some ways which are bad.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
O dear. Just some things are really annoying. People who say something means the opposite of what it does, or paraphrasing when it is not necessary. These are the worst crimes on here.
I think the worst crime around here is hyperbole. It's murder. :plain:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was wondering if we could perhaps come up with some structure to debates and arguments.

For example, posting only relevant things, not being anti-intellectual, not avoiding questions (i.e. saying, "But this is not relevant").

I also think that commentary on the Bible is a bit redundant. A prime example is when people say things like:

Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Therefore God created time.

Any further suggestions?
It would make things so much easier.

We do have structured debate here on TOL. It's called 1 on 1. There is a special section for it and you have to ask Knight if you want to start one. But even before that you have to find someone who wants to debate a subject with you and jointly agree on the terms of the debate. But I wouldn't recommend you starting one until you have been here quite a long time as well as read several of the existing ones. And you have to commit a large amount of time to prepare your material for the debate or you will make a fool out of yourself.

"You mean they tried and failed?"
"No. They tried and died."
(Dune)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The founders had it right. Let everyone say whatever they like. People with even a bit of reasoning ability will usually sort it out.