Please, split your infinitives

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What does that say?

I haven't seen anything like that since the Tower of Babylon!

Stipe wrote it in traditional, not the simplified form:
这是因为写中文字原本很难写。

这是否更有意义?

jeremysdemo

First rule of grammar: As long as meaning is conveyed and understood, prescriptive rules don't matter.

Especially given that most of them are for writing, not speech, and since we use speech much more often than writing, speech "rules" tend to be more pervasive than writing rules.

BUT, again, if meaning is conveyed and understood, the rules do not matter.

I say this as a grammar Nazi with an English degree.
I beleive Twain said something to that effect.

he seems rather successful in writing... :)

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
is rugby a verb? :freak:

"i totally rugby'd him"

"she was desperate to rugby the honda"

"we should plan to meet tomorrow and rugby"

:idunno:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember, kids. Education is important, but rugby is importanter.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Decades ago, we had a guy from the Dallas Harlequins play on our soccer team. He was pretty fit for a guy used to stopping every few seconds to set up the next play.

Dallas_Harlequin_logo.JPG

But he seemed completely unable to grasp the meaning of "fair charge." And the idea that one shouldn't resent another player trying to take your head off, just isn't part of soccer.

Nice guy, but it just didn't work out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Decades ago, we had a guy from the Dallas Harlequins play on our soccer team. He was pretty fit for a guy used to stopping every few seconds to set up the next play.

But he seemed completely unable to grasp the meaning of "fair charge." And the idea that one shouldn't resent another player trying to take your head off, just isn't part of soccer.

Nice guy, but it just didn't work out.
You can't teach scrum dogs a new trick, I suppose. :plain: I'm very, very sorry for that.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The saying is, "Rugby is a game for ruffians, played by gentlemen, and soccer is a game for gentlemen, played by ruffians."

rainee

You can't teach scrum dogs a new trick, I suppose. :plain: I'm very, very sorry for that.

This is the second time in two days TH has used words I have had to look up! I still can't tell exactly what scrum dogs means or if it is legitimate.

Any one have a definition for a scrum dog?

Should I turn him in if he keeps up using this weird language thing?

alwight

This is the second time in two days TH has used words I have had to look up! I still can't tell exactly what scrum dogs means or if it is legitimate.

Any one have a definition for a scrum dog?

Should I turn him in if he keeps up using this weird language thing?
I think the correct term :shocked: (imo sorry TH) is "slum dog", someone a bit rough brought up in a slum area.
However one such "slum dog" has been dubbed a "Scrum Dog" in rugby circles.:

"A street kid from the slums of India is being tipped for rugby stardom after former England captain Phil Vickery spotted the lad dubbed – SCRUM DOG millionaire."
source

To boldly correct TH.

rainee

Hi Al!

And what do you think about Barbarian's description of Rugby and Soccer?

Is it on target? IF so - what does it mean? Aren't they the same?

alwight

Hi Al!

And what do you think about Barbarian's description of Rugby and Soccer?

Is it on target? IF so - what does it mean? Aren't they the same?
It's true that rugby is a rough game often played by gentlemen, lawyers and graduates etc.
Many lawyers now sport cauliflower ears and strangely shaped noses, I don't know about TH however.

My football(soccer) team got relegated last year so I don't like it any more.:AMR:

rainee

It's true that rugby is a rough game often played by gentlemen, lawyers and graduates etc.
Many lawyers now sport cauliflower ears and strangely shaped noses, I don't know about TH however.

My football(soccer) team got relegated last year so I don't like it any more.:AMR:

Thank you Al for the info!
... however, going now to look up relegated...(sigh) :plain: