This idiot needs a little jail time.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Wow what a stat:

2013 dog fatalities by breed according to that site:

2013-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

Granite

Hall of Fame
Okay, somebody define what a "pitbull" is. I'll wait. (Spoiler alert: We're not talking about one breed, the definition can be subjective, and so forth.)

The issue's compounded by virtually any dog involved in a mauling being automatically identified as a pit. Misidentification is a serious and ongoing problem.

Bottom line: They're not inherently dangerous dogs, and the cop's actions are inexcusable.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Okay, somebody define what a "pitbull" is. I'll wait. (Spoiler alert: We're not talking about one breed, the definition can be subjective, and so forth.)

The issue's compounded by virtually any dog involved in a mauling being automatically identified as a pit. Misidentification is a serious and ongoing problem.

Bottom line: They're not inherently dangerous dogs, and the cop's actions are inexcusable.

Breed Misidentification Propaganda Explained

ASPCA Breed Identification Study

Instead of taking readers down the mind numbing path of the volume of pro-pit bull penned papers, quasi-studies and surveys which purport that breed identification, in the case of pit bulls, is impossible, why not share results from a recent ASPCA study showing the exact opposite? The ASPCA, a national animal welfare group, is a heavy pusher of the "breed misidentification" theme, as are other national animal welfare groups, including the HSUS and Best Friends Animal Society.

In September, the ASPCA released study findings showing that visual breed identification by intake staff at Richmond SPCA agreed with DNA results 96% of the time when identifying pit bulls and their mixes. The study was "supposed" to show that if a DNA test result card was placed on the cage of the dog, instead of a card labeled "pit mix," the dog would be more adoptable. This was based on the faulty assumption that intake staff would often incorrectly identify pit bulls.

The dogs were divided into two groups, one with cards labeled "pit-mix" or "pit-type," the other with DNA test result cards indicating a pit bull as an American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier or American bulldog. There was little difference in adoption rates.3 Further, because the ASPCA assumed that visual identification by workers would be much lower, they also assumed that the DNA results would not be jam-packed with bully-type breeds, like they were in the study.

Due to this, the ASPCA could not even test the hypothesis of their study: Looks like an X, but is really a Y.

The first finding I am sharing here impacted our ability to answer some of the questions we were hoping to answer in a significant way. We found out just how well Richmond SPCA staff did in visually identifying dogs likely to have Staffordshire terrier, American Staffordshire terrier or American bulldog as at least 25% of their breed make-up. Out of the 91 dogs, only 4 dogs had none of these breeds in their DNA, and 57% had one of those breeds as the primary breed ... but at least at the Richmond SPCA, with a specific look and type, staff were quite good at breed identification—correctly identifying 96% of the dogs in the study as having at least 25% of the breeds noted above ... As we anticipated that more of the dogs would not have bully-type breeds in their reports, we were not able to dive into the question of "he looks like a X but he really is a Y." - Dr. Emily Weiss

Learn more about the ASPCA breed identification study that "ran off the rails."

The ASPCA likely made these assumptions based on a pair of poorly designed quasi-studies either funded or influenced by the National Canine Research Council (See: Pit Bull Propaganda Machine), which seemed to show that animal professionals cannot identify mixed-breed dogs. The significant differences between the NCRC "quizzes" (Survey Results: What Kind of Dog is That? and Pit Bull Identification in Animal Shelters and DNA4) and the ASPCA study are four-fold:

Visual identification in the ASPCA study was specifically to separate the dogs into just two groups: bull breed dogs and non-bull breed dogs, the other two studies lacked this limitation.
Intake staff worked with a real population of dogs in the ASPCA study -- strays and surrenders in a specific city, not a group of dogs that were chosen for the study using unspecified and unknown criteria.
Intake staff evaluated actual dogs in the ASPCA study. The other two studies only used photographs of dogs (we believe both shared the same photographs too).
Neither NCRC "quizzes" disclosed which DNA lab was used or that pit bulls do not even have a DNA profile,5 thus can only be matched to closely related breeds.

Conclusion

In conclusion, news reports about fatal dog attacks are nearly always multi-sourced regarding breed identification. As 2013 illustrates, over half (59%) also contained identification photographs. "Scientific proof" of a dog's breed is not required to enforce breed-specific laws6 nor is it required to properly identify a dog breed. "Breed misidentification" tricks and theatrics were constructed by pro-pit bull and animal welfare groups and endure today for one class of dogs only: pit bulls.
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2014/01/2013-fatal-dog-attack-identification-photographs.html

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

I dont agree at all that they are not quite dangerous dogs for the most part, but i do agree that the cops actions were wrong. I don't understand why the animal control services weren't called out to contain them instead.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

Myth #2: It's impossible to identify a pit bull

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
While I wait for a barbarian to respond to this post, showing the folowers of the thread where in the video said pit bull's tail was wagging and she was acting in a friendly manner:

You didn't look at your own video? Oh that's right, it has the shooting edited out. But the one I posted shows that. Go back and look there. Your video did show the big pit bull running up to the officer and playfully jumping up on him, and also interacting in a friendly way with other people in the area. It even followed the officer around.

It just so happens that the most recent Youtube video that I posted is from your OP. Now kindly tell the followers of this thread where on the video they can see the dog that was shot (ya know barbarian, it's not nice to refer to the deceased animal as "the dog", how about we give her a name like "Shark Attack Waiting To Happen"?) was wagging her tail and being all friendly towards the officer.

Quote:
I have to wonder why the dog owners waited 2 months to take this to the media?

This was finally released by the Cleburne police department, after which the owners posted it on the web. Don't know if an FOI was required or not. Would you like me to check for you?

I figured with Michael Brown getting all of the media coverage in Ferguson MO, the proud owners of "Shark Attack Waiting To Happen" figured they'd have to wait their turn to crucify a police officer.

Quote:
Perhaps the male owner was incarcerated in a correctional facility somewhere in Texas and wasn't immediately available for comment, or maybe he had warrants for his arrest at the time and didn't want the PO-leece coming around again.

It's quite typical of Connie to suppose that being black means one is "incarcerated in a correctional facility." That's what guys like Connie do.

Just because gang bangers and drug dealers (as shown in the dogsbite.org link) are predominately the owners of vicious dogs like "Shark Attack Waiting To Happen", doesn't mean that it's owner was one.

I'm sure he works long hours at the local hospital as some kind of surgeon or a rocket scientist of some sort.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
but i do agree that the cops actions were wrong...

Based on? Did you review the video that the barbarian posted in his OP? It briefly showed the dog that was shot. People are confusing the dog that was wagging it's tail in the ditch with the dog that had to be put down.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the solution is simple
just shoot a few more
and
maybe the owners will become more responsible

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Based on? Did you review the video that the barbarian posted in his OP? It briefly showed the dog that was shot. People are confusing the dog that was wagging it's tail in the ditch with the dog that had to be put down.

I didn't see any of the dogs being aggressive toward the police officer and i think it odd that they didn't have animal control there also, so they could try to contain the animals. Why shoot them instead of containing them? I could understand shooting if they could not be contained or if they were being aggressive, but that isnt shown.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I didn't see any of the dogs being aggressive toward the police officer and i think it odd that they didn't have animal control there also, so they could try to contain the animals. Why shoot them instead of containing them? I could understand shooting if they could not be contained or if they were being aggressive, but that isnt shown.

when the police arrived
the first pit bull was controlled by its owner
then
the police looked for the other two
killed the one that was approaching
and
then waited for animal control to get the third one

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
when the police arrived
the first pit bull was controlled by its owner
then
the police looked for the other two
killed the one that was approaching
and
then waited for animal control to get the third one

The officer was calling the one approaching, why didnt he just wait period for animal control to get there?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I dont agree at all that they are not quite dangerous dogs for the most part, but i do agree that the cops actions were wrong. I don't understand why the animal control services weren't called out to contain them instead.

With all due respect you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to these dogs. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

I understand that Animal Control had been called and was enroute. The bottom line is that the officer had to use his judgment in using deadly force against a vicious animal.

Here's what was linked in the OP. Note that there are two dogs in the ditch, and the 2nd dog, the one that was put down is rarely even seen.

Video footage of both dogs in the ditch is at 1:02 minutes and again at 3:30 minutes. At 3:43 minutes you'll see the dog (briefly) that was put down and it was not the dog that was acting friendly.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I understand that Animal Control had been called and was enroute. The bottom line is that the officer had to use his judgment in using deadly force against a vicious animal.

Here's what was linked in the OP. Note that there are two dogs in the ditch, and the 2nd dog, the one that was put down is rarely even seen.

Video footage of both dogs in the ditch is at 1:02 minutes and again at 3:30 minutes. At 3:43 minutes you'll see the dog (briefly) that was put down and it was not the dog that was acting friendly.

Ok now show me what that dog was doing, that it needed to be shot and why the officer couldnt have just waited for animal control, where is the threat?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The officer was calling the one approaching, why didnt he just wait period for animal control to get there?

the officer may have been trying to keep the third one in sight thinking there were 4 to 5 based on what the caller said

you shoot the one approaching wondering where the 4th and 5th ones are

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok now show me what that dog was doing, that it needed to be shot and why the officer couldnt have just waited for animal control, where is the threat?

At 3:43 the newsman stated that the officer's report stated that the growling dog was showing it's teeth was going up the hill towards him. That's not shown on the video, as the officers gun is blocking much of the view.

How fast can a charging pit bull move that is 20 or less feet away from it's target? It'll be on it's target within seconds.