How important is space travel to mankind?

Anti matter that they produce in the colliders is a nice energy for interstellar travel...

An yes it's very important we get off of earth,, if we don't we could die here by natural means or of our own, we are known as a class zero civilization :(

Bad news J, you are going to die here by "natural means." Sorry....

That's ok, I was talking on a populace as a whole kinda thing. I hear they already have seed storage and human history on the moon?

Yes, I know that's what you were talking about--it was a tongue in cheek comment. It's just too bad people put their faith, and the faith of all humanity, in some so foolish like space travel instead of in Jesus Christ. [Not saying here that space travel itself is foolish.]

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If we're so insane that we are in danger of annihilating ourselves and life on Earth, I would submit that we don't deserve to get off the planet. We are anathema to existence, itself, and should be annihilated.

How about you, tardly artie, arthurbrain, rusha, all get on a rocket and we will send it deep into space. :)

genuineoriginal

With all the things going on in the world how important is/should space travel be to humanity?

Genesis 11:3-4
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.​

Ecclesiastes 1:9
9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.​

genuineoriginal

I don't understand your post genuineoriginal?

The survivors of the flood chose to build a tower that would reach high into the sky.
The presumption is that they were building a way to save humanity from God's wrath, since they could climb the tower to escape another flood.

Now mankind is in a rush to get to space, in another attempt to save humanity from God's wrath to come.

Nothing really new here.

The Berean

The survivors of the flood chose to build a tower that would reach high into the sky.
Ok.

The presumption is that they were building a way to save humanity from God's wrath, since they could climb the tower to escape another flood.
I'm not sure this is the reason they built the Tower of Babel. After the Flood had subsided, God said He would never flood the Earth again.

Genesis 8:20-21
20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

Now mankind is in a rush to get to space, in another attempt to save humanity from God's wrath to come.

Nothing really new here.
In over 50 years of human space flight only 537 people (as of 9/26/2013) have traveled into outer space. Of those 537 people only 24 have left low Earth orbit. That doesn't sound like much of a rush to me. :p

genuineoriginal

Ok.

I'm not sure this is the reason they built the Tower of Babel. After the Flood had subsided, God said He would never flood the Earth again.

Genesis 8:20-21
20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.
What makes you think they believed what God said?
Did you notice that they were refusing to obey Him?

In over 50 years of human space flight only 537 people (as of 9/26/2013) have traveled into outer space. Of those 537 people only 24 have left low Earth orbit. That doesn't sound like much of a rush to me. :p
Don't confuse a lack of technical ability with a lack of urgency.

The Berean

What makes you think they believed what God said?
I didn't say they believed him or not. But God did say He would never flood the Earth again.

Did you notice that they were refusing to obey Him?
And this is why God scattered them. It was their disobedient hearts and not the fact they were building a tower that God scattered them. Is God telling mankind today NOT to travel into outer space? I simply do not see the connection between the Tower of Babel and space travel today.

Don't confuse a lack of technical ability with a lack of urgency.
Urgency doesn't matter if there is no technical ability. I'm sure you know that no one has been to the Moon since 1972. And I have my doubts if mankind will go to Mars in my lifetime.

But I don't see any great urgency. It will be at least decades or even centuries before there is a significant human presence beyond low Earth orbit. We can't even get back to the Moon right now. We lack the technology.

genuineoriginal

I didn't say they believed him or not. But God did say He would never flood the Earth again.
Since they were actively disobeying God, why would they believe God would keep His Word about not flooding the Earth again?

And this is why God scattered them. It was their disobedient hearts and not the fact they were building a tower that God scattered them.

Genesis 11:5-7
5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.​

Is God telling mankind today NOT to travel into outer space? I simply do not see the connection between the Tower of Babel and space travel today.

Famed British cosmologist Stephen Hawking sees only one way for humanity to survive the next millennium: colonize space. And he's probably right.

In a lecture Tuesday in Los Angles, the 71-year-old Stephen Hawking said humanity would likely not survive another 1,000 years "without escaping beyond our fragile planet," according to the Associated Press. Hawking has long been an advocate of space exploration as a way to ensure humanity's survival. Living on a single planet leaves us at risk of self-annihilation through war or accidents, or a cosmic catastrophe like an asteroid strike.
____________________​
I remember seeing something about asteroid strikes mentioned in prophecy.

Revelation 8:7-11
7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.​

The Berean

Since they were actively disobeying God, why would they believe God would keep His Word about not flooding the Earth again?
So you believe that every single person thought God was lying to them about never flooding the Earth again?

As for Hawkings, he is merely giving his opinion. And he's an atheist. He doesn't believe that any future asteroid impact is some sort of judgement from God against mankind. He's coming from a secular point of view. Earth has been hit by rather large "rocks" in the past and may be hit again in the future. But in all of recorded human history there has never been a meteor impact that has threatened the survival of mankind.

And you didn't really answer my question. Do you believe that God doesn't want mankind to travel into outer space? :idunno:

genuineoriginal

So you believe that every single person thought God was lying to them about never flooding the Earth again?
Enough of them believed it to build the tower.

As for Hawkings, he is merely giving his opinion. And he's an atheist. He doesn't believe that any future asteroid impact is some sort of judgement from God against mankind. He's coming from a secular point of view. Earth has been hit by rather large "rocks" in the past and may be hit again in the future. But in all of recorded human history there has never been a meteor impact that has threatened the survival of mankind.
If you say so.

And you didn't really answer my question. Do you believe that God doesn't want mankind to travel into outer space? :idunno:
I believe that the attempt to travel into outer space is has the same motivation as the attempt to build the tower of Babel.
It is man trying to be free from God's authority by looking for a way to escape God's wrath without repentance.

The Berean

Enough of them believed it to build the tower.
Ok.

If you say so.
Yes, I say so. :p

I believe that the attempt to travel into outer space is has the same motivation as the attempt to build the tower of Babel.
It is man trying to be free from God's authority by looking for a way to escape God's wrath without repentance.
Ok. Thank you for answering my question. I happen to disagree.