The Dark Guy

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...over-vancouver-sun-dark-guy-caption-1.2776325

Jordan Subban not holding a grudge over Vancouver Sun 'dark guy' caption

Vancouver Canuck prospect Jordan Subban said he believes a caption published in a Vancouver newspaper that identified him as "the dark guy in the middle" was a "pretty honest mistake" and that he's moving on and focusing on hockey.

The Vancouver Sun has apologized for posting the photo, which also appeared on the Province website briefly on Tuesday night, after Subban scored the opening goal against the San Jose Sharks in the Canucks' first preseason NHL game.

Sun deputy editor Gillian Burnett and the newspaper changed the caption after concerns about it began to circulate on Twitter.

"I had a chance to talk with a representative from the paper, and it seemed like a pretty honest mistake — it wasn't really intentional, from my understanding," Subban, a Toronto-born defenceman, told CBC News Wednesday evening.

"It is what it is, and I've moved on."

The Vancouver Sun has apologized for the caption that accompanied this photo of Canucks prospect Jordan Subban. The caption, which included the words 'dark guy in the middle,' was changed. (The Vancouver Sun )

Subban, 19, said the caption was obviously a mistake but that he didn't think anyone was trying to target him.

"I'm not really going to hold a grudge or anything," he said, adding that he has more important things to worry about than what people are saying about him in a newspaper.

Subban, drafted 113th overall by the Canucks in 2013, was sent back to the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League on Wednesday.

He is the brother of Montreal's star defenceman, P.K. Subban, with another brother, Malcolm, a goalie in the Boston Bruins' system.

0696c140-43f1-11e4-8777-8d7da1f30a89_A-Vancouver-Sun-photo-caption-published-Tuesday-evening-called-attention-to-Subban-s-ethnicity-CTV-News-Channel-image-.jpg

"dark guy in the middle"

can anybody explain why this is offensive?

The Berean

I thought Jordan was around 6'6 and Byrd was taller.

Looks like Jordan is standing on a stool. He was generally listed at 6'6" while both Bird and Magic were listed at 6'9" during their playing days. But in this photo Bird is way taller than Magic.

7-140ZZ91P6.jpg

Sandycane

0696c140-43f1-11e4-8777-8d7da1f30a89_A-Vancouver-Sun-photo-caption-published-Tuesday-evening-called-attention-to-Subban-s-ethnicity-CTV-News-Channel-image-.jpg

"dark guy in the middle"

can anybody explain why this is offensive?
It's inappropriate and unnecessary.
"Man in the center" or "Third from left" would have conveyed the same message without reference to ethnicity.

Think about it...

If someone is talking about a group of white men, they don't say, "Those white men." They say, "Those men," because it's generally assumed you are talking about white men, unless other ethnicity is specified.

However, it's been my experience, that when a group of black men are talked about, they always say, "Those Black men," to clearly distinguish them from white men, instead of saying, "Those men."

If Subban had not been "dark," the caption would have read, "third from the left," or "center."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Its only allowable for leftists to call attention to it. Else its racism.

Right - example:

BcRmii1CYAA1bAj.png

Immediately after seeing the photo, guest and actress Pia Glenn said in a singsong voice, “One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just isn’t the same.”

Harris-Perry and her guests, including radio host Jamie Kilstein, The Daily Beast’s Dean Obeidallah and comedian Judy Gold, found Glenn’s joke irresistibly funny.

“And isn’t he the most gorgeous? My goal is that in 2040, the biggest thing of the year will be the wedding between Kieran Romney and North West,” Harris-Perry said, referring to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s baby daughter. “Can you imagine Mitt Romney and Kanye West as in-laws?”

“I think this picture is great,” Obeidallah added. “It really sums up the diversity of the Republican party, the RNC. At the convention, they find the one black person.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...to-picture-of-romneys-black-adopted-grandson/

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Think about it...
I did.
And you seem to be like most these days --- just looking for any little rinky-dinky excuse to make a mountain out of a molehill.

With so many real problems in the world, this is so minute that it doesn't deserve any special attention at all.

Sandycane

I did.
And you seem to be like most these days --- just looking for any little rinky-dinky excuse to make a mountain out of a molehill.

With so many real problems in the world, this is so minute that it doesn't deserve any special attention at all.

The OP asked a question. I answered it.
If you don't like, or agree with my answer... oh well.

Calling someone out by saying "the dark one," to me, isn't quite the same as saying, "the one with the red hat."
... heck, they should have at the very least said, "The African American."
... or should that be "African-Canadian"?

OCTOBER23

WE ARE ALL MIXED BECAUSE ADAM WAS REDDISH BROWN

FROM THE EARTH AND

EVE WAS SNOW WHITE FROM A WHITE RIB.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Calling someone out by saying "the dark one," to me, isn't quite the same as saying, "the one with the red hat."
... or "should that be "African-Canadian"?
I didn't have problem at all figuring out which one they were referring to as "the dark guy
in the middle
".
No problem. Easy. Plain and simple.
There was no offensiveness to it at all.
None. Zero. Nada.

Sandycane

I didn't have problem at all figuring out which one they were referring to as "the dark guy
in the middle
".
No problem. Easy. Plain and simple.
There was no offensiveness to it at all.
None. Zero. Nada.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

... or should that be "African-Canadian"?

is he from africa?

so is hockey

and canadians

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
suppose it was a team of all caucasians and one had just returned from the carribean with an awesome tan

would it be inappopriate to identify him as "the dark one"?