the four horsemen

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The rise and spread of Islam was to test and discipline a church that had sunk to using the world's methods. As for why I see the bow as an archery bow, it fits the context of the passage far better than seeing it as a rainbow. In Genesis. the rainbow is a sign of God promising not to wipe out mankind with another flood. In Revelation none of the horsemen are carrying flood waters. And if this white horseman is really carrying the sign of Noah's covenant, then he is slowly losing ground throughout the book, not conquering, as the severity of the plagues and the percentage of mankind dying in them goes up. Another thing to note, the horse is usually related to warfare in scripture, not to protection.

it looks like you are saying all covenants are a promise not to do another flood

I don't think so

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
A major problem with the historicist interpretation of Revelation is that it leads to endless speculation and subjectivity in its interpretations. There are many nations and important individuals in history and picking some of them for the Four Horses is arbitrary and subjective.

not so

they are very consistent with the byzantine empire being the thousand years

the white horse, a christian empire
is
replaced by the red horse, islamic empire
which
is ended by the black horse, communism

BigBoof1959

it looks like you are saying all covenants are a promise not to do another flood

I don't think so

That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that the covenant signified by the bow which you claim is in the hand of the white horseman, is a covenant to not destroy all flesh with the waters of another flood. Read Genesis 9:11 & 15. If you want to broaden the scope of that covenant to include a so-called Christian Empire, then I guess scripture can be made to say pretty much whatever you want it to.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If you want to broaden the scope of that covenant to include a so-called Christian Empire, then I guess scripture can be made to say pretty much whatever you want it to.

don't want to broaden the scope of the covenant given to noah
don't need to
the covenant given to constantine is a different one
and
it doesn't have anything to do with flooding

Sealeaf

In my view, scriptures are generally very accurate when they discribe actual events witnessed by real, named, individuals. They immediately become suspect when the authors start telling what those events ment. That is, when interpatations are given.

Interpatations can be quite subtle. Example: Noah's flood, the witness is Noah or one of the other people on the Arc. That person says "the waters covered the whole earth", how does he know? In reality all he could have observed is that he was out of sight of land. I find nothing unbelievable in that. Ten or fifteen miles of open water will put you out of sight of land. When someone else interpates that to mean that even the highest mountains in the world were covered in water, montains that Noah had no knowledge of. I find that idea very suspect.

What then can be said of a prophetic dream? I absolutely believe the author when he discribes his dream. I am less sure when he tells me what his dream ment. I am much less sure when any third party tells me what a prophet's dream ment.

There is a caviat: Dreams are symbolic representations of problems the dreamer experiences in his own waking life. The symbols are chosen by his subconcious mind to be opaque to him. They sometimes are very clear, embarassingly so, to another person. I will illustrate this: A certain college student, learning my profession, I am a psychiatric professional, told me of her very troubling recurring dream. She had it every time she was facing exams. She dreamt she was struggling to swim against the current in a river of yellow water while having to dodge large brown lumps that were coming at her carried by the current. I'm sure the symbolism is painfully clear to everyone but it was not to her. (true story).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the four horsemen

The rider of the white horse is Constantine from the white sea

The rider of the red horse is Mohammed from the red sea, Antichrist

The rider of the black horse is Marx from the black sea, communism

The rider of the pale horse is with us now

So you say Constantine did not come from the White Sea? This is true but did you know that even today the Turks refer to the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Sea#cite_ref-6"]Mediterranean Sea as the white sea[/URL]? It is a rough sea with what they call white caps, which makes it look white. Also did you know that bow in Genesis means covenant? Constantine started the Christian empire that was to last over a thousand years. It would not have happened without divine intervention.

To be continued…….

back to
the apocalypse

the colors are significant
but
not yellow and brown

Last edited:

BigBoof1959

The Lord never promised to make the world safe for Christians. He promised them persecution and tribulation in the world. Constantine made Christianity safe for the world, not the other way around.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The Lord never promised to make the world safe for Christians. He promised them persecution and tribulation in the world. Constantine made Christianity safe for the world, not the other way around.

did you read what eusebius wrote about constantine?
it sounded like the second coming

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
you have to make sense of the colors
and
it is hard to ignore the red sea in the south
and
the black sea in the north

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
most pictures of the four horsemen have the rider of the white horse carrying a bow and arrow
but
this picture has it right
the rider of the white horse is carrying a rainbow
in genesis 9:13 bow means rainbow and a covenant

identifying the four horsemen is not possible
if
you don't get the bow right

most see it as a bow and arrow
and
a quick search of the old testament will show that it is a rainbow

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
constantine the rider of the white horse had a bow, a covenant
he started a christian empire that would last one thousand years
and
it protected rome and europe

JosephR

And I saw, and behold, a white horse, and he that sat thereon had a bow; and there was given unto him a crown: and he came forth conquering, and to conquer. Rev 6:2
I heard that this was supposed to be the antichrist, but he is left out until Rev 12.

And another horse came forth, a red horse: and to him that sat thereon it was given to take peace from the earth, and that they should slay one another: and there was given unto him a great sword Rev 6:4

The world has not know peace. So this is why some say that the rider of the first horse is the antichrist. The antichrist appears and gives the world peace, then the rider on the red horse takes away the peace that the world has enjoyed for a brief time.

And I saw, and behold, a black horse; and he that sat thereon had a balance in his hand. 6And I heard as it were a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, A measure of wheat for a shilling, and three measures of barley for a shilling; and the oil and the wine hurt thou not. Rev 6:5

The black horse is for economic hardship and famine on an unprecedented scale. A shilling was supposed to be a day's wages. A meal would cost you a day's work.

a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth. Rev 6:8

The pale horse is named death, and a quarter of the earth's population will be destroyed by this horse. So we have the four horseman. We can make this book say anything. It is written in parables and visions, so anyone can be a prophet making wild interpretations about a book of parables and visions.

do you think any man earns more in a day then what sustains them?

JosephR

identifying the four horsemen is not possible
if
you don't get the bow right

most see it as a bow and arrow
and
a quick search of the old testament will show that it is a rainbow

could the bow be the sign of the end with fire, the sign of the promise to Noah and all man....