toldailytopic: Should it be governments job to make sure we eat healthy foods?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It seems Michelle Obama, wife of the Kenyan, doesn't put her money where her mouth is. Instead, triple bacon cheesburgers. (sounds good to me too)

The Berean

If they feel it's necessary to "inform" people then by all means do so...But, I reserve the right to make meal choices for myself. The government and I disagree in some case as to what consititutes "healthy foods". :plain:

Hey, beer has hops and barely in it right? :think:

BabyChristian

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 11th, 2011 08:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No. For one thing the govt. can't be trusted to do what they claim they're doing.

For instance the FDA is suppose to protect us but it's all about $.

The former Commissioner of the FDA stated, "People think the FDA is protecting them--it isn't. What the FDA is
doing and what people think it's doing are as different as night and
day." Dr. Herbert Ley, Commissioner of the FDA, _San Francisco
Chronicle_, January 2, 1970

I don't know anyone that IS NOT on statins for cholesterol except for me. It's a myth, this cholesterol thing. The Drs. get paid for pushing these drugs, they get trips to famous places and they get money. The Pharmaceutical companies and the Pharmacies are in on it. It HUGE business, these lies.

It's a myth.

Follow the $$$$. The love of money is the root of all evil.

Lon

Yes (don't shoot yet...please...)

Government is about 'how we interact with one another.' Does that mean it should be our tax dollars? Not necessarily (see, don't shoot). My church does an excellent job of running a food bank. It serves from 100 to 200 families monthly. Most of these are working families in a poor town next to Tacoma called Parkland. The foodbank helps them by diverting some of their funds so they can pay mortgage or rent. Due to recent hard times, more and more working families are in need of the ministry/service.

And here is the part where government helps. They provide funds for the food bank's operation expenses including electricity, food, maintenance etc. In turn, the foodbank provides dinner for public meetings in schools, firehouses, ball parks, and other government functions. It is a good working relationship that provides for the needs of the community. In addition, those stores donating get tax breaks from the government as incentive toward the help. Perhaps the OP question was talking more about welfare, but I took it in a much broader sense to answer in the affirmative, that yes, as servants of the public, government needs to ensure that the public needs are met.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think that it's the government's responsibility to educate people enough to know how to be healthy, to help remove socioeconomic factors that lead to people eating unhealthily, to prevent food companies from producing misleading or false information about their products, and in some cases to ban extremely unhealthy ingredients (serious carcinogens and other dangerous chemicals). But at the end of it, people should be able to choose what they eat.
:thumb: Basically what I would say.

If by "make sure" you mean to actually criminalize eating certain foods, then no. But I do support education and some incentives to eat healthy. Right now it is pretty easy to eat bad foods while it is expensive to eat healthy foods. I wish it was the other way around.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 11th, 2011 08:19 AM

toldailytopic: Should it be government's job to make sure we eat healthy foods?

Nope.

Eating healthy foods would raise unemployment; less sick people would put doctors out of business, hospitals would close, health care people would be out of work, and health insurance companies would cry for bailouts.

Nine out of ten doctors say, "Sickness floats my boat!" The tenth doctor's boat sunk.

Eat healthy and we are DOOMED :rip:

Let's hear it for junk foods :banana:

Last edited:

Cracked

If the government's job is to keep people safe, then yes, they should educate us about what healthy food is and is not. However, forcing people to eat healthy may be a bit of a stretch...

some other dude

Yes.

It also should be the government's job to make sure we chew our food thoroughly, brush our teeth after every meal, wear mittens when we go outside in the winter, stop picking at that thing on our forehead and tuck us in at night and read us a bedtime story.

Because after all, it's government's job to treat us like we're little children incapable of fending for ourselves.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Yes.

It also should be the government's job to make sure we chew our food thoroughly, brush our teeth after every meal, wear mittens when we go outside in the winter, stop picking at that thing on our forehead and tuck us in at night and read us a bedtime story.
:darwinsm: A bureaucrat in every pot and two bureaucrats in every garage.
Because after all, it's government's job to treat us like we're little children incapable of fending for ourselves.
I've encountered some of those on my many travels through the "system." If one does it right, one can watch them flatline. The Big Clue is when a Chosen One has to phone a supervisor. :help: :chuckle: