The great Ebola scare of 2014

Granite

Hall of Fame
Someone else has already answered your question about the "dreaded diseases" I referred to. Are you not concerned at all about allowing terrorists and criminals walk right in?

Some illegals may be sick--no surprise there. We're quarantining the sick ones out of the kids, from what I understand, so I don't really see any "news" here, although a concern for sickness is of course prudent. And I don't remember ever saying I wanted to roll out a red carpet for crooks and terrorists.

journey

Some illegals may be sick--no surprise there. We're quarantining the sick ones out of the kids, from what I understand, so I don't really see any "news" here, although a concern for sickness is of course prudent. And I don't remember ever saying I wanted to roll out a red carpet for crooks and terrorists.

Surely you're not suggesting that all illegals are being screened? Are you? Only those who use legal means to immigrate are being screened. (Or the small number being caught before illegal entry).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Surely you're not suggesting that all illegals are being screened? Are you? Only those who use legal means to immigrate are being screened. (Or the small number being caught before illegal entry).

Of course not. But I was asking for solutions earlier too--are you suggesting an end to all immigration/refugees? If not, what's the answer to this problem?

journey

Of course not. But I was asking for solutions earlier too--are you suggesting an end to all immigration/refugees? If not, what's the answer to this problem?

I think that we should demand respect for our borders and do the best we can to stop illegal entry. Finishing that fence and deporting current illegals would be a first good step.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

So how do you determine that all the ones who we dont know came in (because of lax border security) are disease free and not a criminal element?

journey

We don't know anything about millions of people who have entered this country illegally. We do know that many of them are criminals because we've caught them committing additional crimes. It's only common sense to know there are dope and gun runners and terrorists in the mix. How many - we don't know, but it doesn't take many terrorists to make a real mess of things. The time is coming when we will pay the price for being so stupid.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think that we should demand respect for our borders and do the best we can to stop illegal entry. Finishing that fence and deporting current illegals would be a first good step.

All current illegals? Dreamers as well?

Have you considered the cost, logistics, and potential abuse of government power inherent to such a massive operation?

Granite

Hall of Fame
So how do you determine that all the ones who we dont know came in (because of lax border security) are disease free and not a criminal element?

The better question is, how do you prove a negative?

Are there some crooks who got in, or some sick people? Well, sure--I'd say that's inevitable.

IMJerusha

All current illegals? Dreamers as well?

Have you considered the cost, logistics, and potential abuse of government power inherent to such a massive operation?

No greater cost and abuse of government power than Obama issuing governmental benefits to illegal aliens.
Key word there, Granite, "illegal". What do illegals dream of, three squares and a cot?
Don't Americans have the right to defense from illegals by the American government?
Since when should our taxes go toward harboring criminals who aren't behind bars?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The better question is, how do you prove a negative?

Are there some crooks who got in, or some sick people? Well, sure--I'd say that's inevitable.

It wouldn't be if there were better border security and the laws were actually enforced. I have no problem one bit with people wanting to come here to have a better life, but they need to do it legally.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It wouldn't be if there were better border security and the laws were actually enforced. I have no problem one bit with people wanting to come here to have a better life, but they need to do it legally.

Well, sure--if we somehow waved a magic wand and solved this problem, it wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm looking for how to go about doing this practically. Where's the personnel coming from? How we going to pay for this? Are we prepared to pretty much go to war with the drug cartels especially who are using the open range? Are we going to just round up and deport all illegals here (no mean feat, by the way)? Brass tacks, in other words.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, sure--if we somehow waved a magic wand and solved this problem, it wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm looking for how to go about doing this practically. Where's the personnel coming from? How we going to pay for this? Are we prepared to pretty much go to war with the drug cartels especially who are using the open range? Are we going to just round up and deport all illegals here (no mean feat, by the way)? Brass tacks, in other words.

How much more does it cost in crimes, imprisonment, disease, drawing off the system without paying in and many other issues - we pay one way or another.

Then what about people who take advantage of those here illegally? I think it should be easier to come here legally, and then we will know who is here and can stop criminals on the way in, and quarantine those with diseases before they cause widespread illness here.

IMJerusha

Where have you been? We've always been at war with the drug cartels, and we used to always deport illegal aliens. If we don't shut down our borders and employ more stringent entry policies, we're going to be a nation of illegals, overrun with a whole lot more than "dreamers." We can't afford Obamacare, let's just add more to our bottom line borrow from China. We'll end up a Communist nation, and isn't that what Democrats want?

Granite

Hall of Fame
How much more does it cost in crimes, imprisonment, disease, drawing off the system without paying in and many other issues - we pay one way or another.

I don't know for sure, and frankly neither do you. We should both look into this. (You also seem to be implying that many, if not most, illegals are bring in disease, freeloading, and or committing crimes.)

Then what about people who take advantage of those here illegally?

And here you seem to assume that illegals are inherently parasitic, or at the very least cause nothing but degradation to the system. Many illegals aren't exactly living the life of Riley, Angel. Alabama made itself a very interesting case study for several reasons thanks to its crackdown on illegals. Among other things, what Alabama did was inadvertently expose the reality that illegals aren't "taking our jobs," they're doing the jobs we won't do in the first place.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...consequences/2012/06/17/gJQA3Rm0jV_story.html

I think it should be easier to come here legally, and then we will know who is here and can stop criminals on the way in...

Because, as we know, criminals do things legally.:chuckle:

...and quarantine those with diseases before they cause widespread illness here.

I'm not aware of any rampant diseases spread by illegals. And we already have quarantine stations in place.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't know for sure, and frankly neither do you. We should both look into this. (You also seem to be implying that many, if not most, illegals are bring in disease, freeloading, and or committing crimes.)
No, didnt say that at all

And here you seem to assume that illegals are inherently parasitic, or at the very least cause nothing but degradation to the system. Many illegals aren't exactly living the life of Riley, Angel. Alabama made itself a very interesting case study for several reasons thanks to its crackdown on illegals. Among other things, what Alabama did was inadvertently expose the reality that illegals aren't "taking our jobs," they're doing the jobs we won't do in the first place.

Pretty sure you misread what i said by that response, i was talking about americans taking advantage of illegals in bad ways, please read what i said again.

I'm not aware of any rampant diseases spread by illegals. And we already have quarantine stations in place.
Well im aware of it, my daughters have had to be tested for tuberculosis twice now, because of it being spread in their school by illegals in 2 different school years - and in 2 totally different schools.

PS, also one of my daughters when she was little got headlice from the child of a migrant worker enrolled in head start with her where i used to volunteer.

bybee

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...consequences/2012/06/17/gJQA3Rm0jV_story.html

Because, as we know, criminals do things legally.:chuckle:

This is a major humanitarian tragedy. These children, regardless of why or how they got here ARE JUST CHILDREN! They are without parents to help guide them. They are targets for abuse. They must be protected and nurtured as much as possible while they are in our country and we must find a way to safely send them back to their parents if possible.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Pretty sure you misread what i said by that response, i was talking about americans taking advantage of illegals in bad ways, please read what i said again.

Ah, gotcha. So you're referring to those fine exemplars of capitalism who pay slave wages to people they treat as slaves, simply because they can...yes, indeed. What should we do with blood-sucking parasites like that who compete in tough markets to earn our business? And what will we, the consumers, do when prices increase once these businessmen can't pay slave wages to their illegal slaves anymore?

Good questions indeed, thanks for clarifying.

Well im aware of it, my daughters have had to be tested for tuberculosis twice now, because of it being spread in their school by illegals in 2 different school years - and in 2 totally different schools.

Trouble for you, but not an epidemic. I'm not aware of any "rampant diseases" ever spread or attributed to hordes of illegals. Again, if anyone can correct me on this, please do.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This is a major humanitarian tragedy. These children, regardless of why or how they got here ARE JUST CHILDREN! They are without parents to help guide them. They are targets for abuse. They must be protected and nurtured as much as possible while they are in our country and we must find a way to safely send them back to their parents if possible.

You want to send them safely back to their parents...who are living in some of the most hellish, dangerous areas of the hemisphere.

Uh-huuuuuuuuuuuuuh.