Ask an Aussie

fzappa13

An American friend of mine was working as a welder in Australia. The money was excellent but the rules for a working visa kept him from staying there. Does Australia have an immigration problem that being the reason for tighter restrictions?

True story ... some 20 years ago I decided I wanted to move to
Australia. When all was said and done I was informed that, as a Caucasian American I would need a cool million in cash to invest in a company in the Down Under or marry a Shela already there. But, if I was an Indonesian arriving via what might generously be called a boat I could not only stay but would be afforded all the benefits of citizenship including what is know stateside as welfare.

I declined both offers in that I was ineligible to take advantage of either.

Thunder's Muse

True story ... some 20 years ago I decided I wanted to move to
Australia. When all was said and done I was informed that, as a Caucasian American I would need a cool million in cash to invest in a company in the Down Under or marry a Shela already there. But, if I was an Indonesian arriving via what might generously be called a boat I could not only stay but would be afforded all the benefits of citizenship including what is know stateside as welfare.

I declined both offers in that I was ineligible to take advantage of either.

You are correct. People need either money or a skill/trade that is needed here in order to live in Oz. I believe age plays a role in that also.

Immigrants who enter the country legally, are given welfare, a house, help finding work etc. They often end up receiving more financial aid than someone born in Australia, with some welfare payments being almost double.

Those who enter the country illegally, are now sent to detention centers off shore but before this became the way we dealt with them, some were allowed to just live here and got lost in the system.

It's not a good situation, at all.

The Berean

Map of Australia :D

View attachment 18927

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

Where does Max Rockatansky drive his "Pursuit Special"? :think:

Mad_Max__1979_.jpg

Last edited:

IMJerusha

I thought I'd start a lighthearted thread about my amazing country, Australia.

Do you have a question you've always wanted an answer to about Australia? Here's your chance.....

:)

:wave: Yes, I have a question. Vegemite...are you out of your minds?! :vomit: LOL

Thunder's Muse

:wave: Yes, I have a question. Vegemite...are you out of your minds?! :vomit: LOL

LOL! It's an acquired taste :)

Actually, Vegimite was created during the Depression (1923), so children could still get vitamins in their daily diet. It's full of B1, B2, B3 and Folate.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.