Jesus is God

Jesus is God

• Total voters

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
Jesus is A God.

Did Jesus imply he was...God or a God by reference?

Starting with John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."
Now read his convoluted reply to the mob that is threatening to stone him for blasphemy. I am using the NIV Bible.

30 I and the Father are one."
31 Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him,
32 but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"
33 "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?
35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken--
36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?
37 Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does.
38 But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."

My input:
32 Jesus points to his works.
33 the mob corrects him and tells him they are going to stone him for blasphemy and not his miracles.
34 Jesus ask them to look at examples in their law where god called people gods.
35 He says if god can call them gods and the scriptures are true.
36 Jesus says then what is wrong when I claim I am also god. Here he is making himself equal to god by saying if god can call them gods he can also call himself god. But there is a difference between god calling them gods and he calling himself god. Jesus did not point to where god called him a god but rather usurped the right to do so. Is that being arrogant or presumptuous?
37 Jesus says he is only doing what god did ie. calling people who gods. Like he just did in John 10:30
38 But here he is back to pointing to his miracles which the mob corrected him for in John 10:33.

Isn't that what they call convoluted circular logic?

My expanded explanation of John 10:34
John 10: 34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?
It is clearly written God called many of his agents and messengers Gods. So in that context Jesus could make claim to be like them. But that does not equate to being God himself. Why didn't Jesus just say outright he was God himself instead of saying by scriptural reference he was also a God. It is this very verse that the JW use to support their reading that Jesus is a God.

Last edited:

Cruciform

You said it correctly the first time.God is not a man, period.Why can't you keep your myths straight?You want it both ways, sorry, God is clear and honest, and the one thing you got right flies in the face of your false doctrines.What a horrible dilemma your inconsistencies and dishonesty has put you into.God is not a man,you sure got that right.Why don't you believe your own statements?You don't believe yourself, you don't trust your own words, how could you possibly trust God and His words?God is not a man
Already answered (Post #1049).

Cruciform

Except that Jesus didn't have the divine natures of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence.
Of course he did, though he sometimes chose to sublimate the qualities of his divine Nature to the limitations of his human nature. There were times when Jesus acted out of his divine Nature, and others when he acted according to his human nature.

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
Incorrect, since the divine Persons are not separate Beings. God is one Being in three Persons.

But that is incorrect. According to John 10:34 Is it not written in your Law, "I have said you are all gods."
Thereby revealing there are plenty of gods in the scriptures.
That verse and admission by Jesus destroys the doctrine of the trinity which claims there are only 3 gods in one. There are more that three gods if you read Psalms which Jesus alluded to.

Cruciform

A monotheist believes in ONE divine person.
Incorrect. A monotheist believes that God is one divine Being. A unitarian believes that God is only one Person.

Thus, you are a unitarian monotheist, and I am a trinitarian monotheist. We are both, however, monotheists.

Cruciform

And saying a million times 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 doesn't change that fact.
Why are you repeating your error here as though you haven't already been corrected on this point? This utterly misrepresents the Trinitarian view, which is more like 1 x 1 x 1 = 1. Please get your facts straight in the future.

Cruciform

But that is incorrect. According to John 10:34 Is it not written in your Law, "I have said you are all gods."
Thereby revealing there are plenty of gods in the scriptures.
That verse and admission by Jesus destroys the doctrine of the trinity which claims there are only 3 gods in one. There are more that three gods if you read Psalms which Jesus alluded to.
Unfortunately, you have applied a decidedly non-Christian interpretation to this passage (Jn. 10:34).
"I said you are gods": A citation from Ps. 82:6. The psalm is a prayer for Yahweh to punish the corrupt shepherds [pastors] of Israel. These leaders, who are charged with teaching and enforcing divine Law, are called "gods" [small "g"] by the Psalmist because of the divine authority they wield over the people. The abuse of this power makes their corruption all the more insidious. Jesus reasons that if sinful authorities are given a divine title because of their duties, how much more is he entitled to it who is guiltless and who speaks the words of God (Jn. 8:45-47).*

Christians are certainly not polytheists, nor was Jesus teaching any such notion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
How the differences in the different publications of the bibles enhances the meaning and understanding of the texts.
The KJV and NIV which I quoted earlier simply states Jesus was made a little lower than the angels in Hebrew 2:9
Hebrew 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Other versions adds Jesus was made lower than angels for a short period.

Hebrews 2:9

But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. [ESV]

But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone. [NASB]

That makes no sense because it implies he was changed to something else after this short period. But both verses say he was only crowned with glory and honour. There is no mention he changed to anything other than being praised for his sacrifice. So the short period is an obvious addition that in superfluous and does not lead to anything except an attempt to alter the fact Jesus was lower than the angels.
Jesus's time on earth was lower than the angels. His resurrection sent him to God's kingdom where he was praised for his sacrifice. If his second coming is to mark the short period he will remain lower than the angels. Then this short period has already passed 2000 years since his crucifixion and he is still lower than the angels.
This just proves Jesus's was lower than the angels during his entire time on earth and could not have been the promised messiah just as the Jews suspected. It explains why Jesus had to hide and slip away from those threatening to stone him because he was lower than the angels and therefore unable to defend himself. It also explains why after his resurrection he was powerless, in pain and hungry begging for food. Just what you would expect of someone made lower than the angels.

So how can Jesus be god or when did he become god if he was made lower that the angels and sacrificed by god?

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
Unfortunately, you have applied a decidedly non-Christian interpretation to this passage (Jn. 10:34).
"I said you are gods": A citation from Ps. 82:6. The psalm is a prayer for Yahweh to punish the corrupt shepherds [pastors] of Israel. These leaders, who are charged with teaching and enforcing divine Law, are called "gods" [small "g"] by the Psalmist because of the divine authority they wield over the people. The abuse of this power makes their corruption all the more insidious. Jesus reasons that if sinful authorities are given a divine title because of their duties, how much more is he entitled to it who is guiltless and who speaks the words of God (Jn. 8:45-47).*

Christians are certainly not polytheists, nor was Jesus teaching any such notion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

This is exactly the point. Jesus says if your scriptures claim there have been others called Gods in the scriptures then why think lesser of me for I have performed miracles and greater things. So Jesus is calling himself God by comparison by referencing other occurrences where God gave that title to other agents and messengers of God. It is pathetic to see Jesus has to argue his case for divinity. Imagine God pleading with the masses to accept him. It is the cornerstone of Christianity "Faith" because the doctrines do not stand up to common sense or scrutiny.

Last edited:

6days

This is exactly the point. Jesus says if your scriptures claim there have been others called Gods in the scriptures than why think lesser of me for I have performed miracles and greater things..
As Cruciform says... "you have applied a decidedly non-Christian interpretation ..."
Numerous texts from Genesis to Revelation inform us Jesus is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent Creator God. Its hardly something to debate with someone who rejects Jesus as Savior.

Last edited:

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
As Cruciform says... "you have applied a decidedly non-Christian interpretation ..."
Numerous texts from Genesis to Revelation inform us Jesus is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent Creator God. Its hardly something to debate with someone who rejects Jesus as Savior.

Please offer your interpretation of John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?

6days

Please offer your interpretation of John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods' ?
As I said... its pointless to discuss Christian theology with a non christian whose aim is simply to argue. If your aim is to learn... there are plenty of good apologetics websites that can provide great answers to any question you have. I can link you to a few if you wish. :)
I have seen your 'argument' from Eastern religions, and from Muslims.
If you are sincere about a Christian answer... Here is one fairly detailed answer, to Muslim queries.
http://www.answering-islam.org/BibleCom/jn10-34-36.html

Harikrishna

BANNED
Banned
As I said... its pointless to discuss Christian theology with a non christian whose aim is simply to argue. If your aim is to learn... there are plenty of good apologetics websites that can provide great answers to any question you have. I can link you to a few if you wish. :)

Just give us what you believe. Quoting someone is telling us what they believe. Are you just another hollow faith based Christian?

Cruciform

This is exactly the point. Jesus says if your scriptures claim there have been others called Gods in the scriptures then why think lesser of me for I have performed miracles and greater things. So Jesus is calling himself God by comparison by referencing other occurrences where God gave that title to other agents and messengers of God.
...except that the overarching teaching of the New Testament is that Jesus Christ was and is actually---ontologically---the one true God in the flesh (Incarnate).

See Post #1082 above.

God's Truth

You can give, but you can not take. That is your problem.

We all disagree in one way or another. That does not mean we are insulting you, we are just informing you to rethink what your saying. The Father and son are two, not one and the same. Folks are just trying to show you basic truth.

Posted from the TOL App!

Of course, you would just give more insults than scripture.

Elia

...except that the overarching teaching of the New Testament is that Jesus Christ was and is actually---ontologically---the one true God in the flesh (Incarnate).

See Post #1082 above.

Bs'd

If he was the one true God, then who was his Father?