James White to Debate Bob Enyart on Open Theism

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is embarrassing to see so many mistakes in the Bob Enyart's post debate radio programs being pointed out by James White. I mean, assuming RC Sproul, Jr. is one of White's pals, or completely taking what has been said and twisting it to meet an agenda seems a wee bit desperate. Denial of the hypostatic union and the Chalcedonian Definition underlie the misunderstandings White noted in Enyart's post debate programs. I get that unsettled theists think God changes daily, but these errors noted by White are only serving to illustrate the lack of serious attention to rigor and detail is missing within the unsettled theist camp.AMR
This does nothing to advance the discussion.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess it cannot be explained simply -- if God cannot change, how did Jesus go from being not a man to taking on flesh.

James White seems to think we should understand it without explanation. :idunno:

The divine Logos assumed (took on) a human nature. The Divine Logos, the second person of the Trinity, God the Son, the Son of Man, took on a humanity without confusion, mixture, or division of the divine and human natures.

To assume anything else is to assume that when the second person of the Trinity walked the earth He was not also omnipresent everywhere else outside of Israel. May it never be!

AMR

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I guess it cannot be explained simply -- if God cannot change, how did Jesus go from being not a man to taking on flesh.

James White seems to think we should understand it without explanation. :idunno:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

According to eternal decree and divine purpose, He was always God/Man . . . Manifested in the fullness of time to redeem His own.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You think someone named Jesus of Nazareth was existing in the Godhead before the Incarnation? Odd. The Divine Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity, God the Son, the Son of Man (See Daniel) was who was existing before the Incarnation. Be careful here lest you fall into Mormonistic thinking. That being assumed a human nature in an mystical union wherein no confusion, mixture, or division took place. One Person, two natures, one divine nature, one human nature.

AMR

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The divine Logos assumed (took on) a human nature. The Divine Logos, the second person of the Trinity, God the Son, the Son of Man, took on a humanity without confusion, mixture, or division of the divine and human natures.

To assume anything else is to assume that when the second person of the Trinity walked the earth He was not also omnipresent everywhere else outside of Israel. May it never be!

AMR
I'm not assuming anything. The bible says God took on human form. If that is not a change, what is?

White noted specific mistakes being made by Bob Enyart in his post debate shows. Hopefully, Bob Enyart will make the necessary corrections in his future broadcasts. AMR
Hopefully.

Has little to do with us though, does it?

According to eternal decree and divine purpose, He was always God/Man.
Not according to the bible.

You think someone named Jesus of Nazareth was existing in the Godhead before the Incarnation?
No. That was a name given to a baby. The whole issue is -- that baby was God and still is.

S0ZO

You think someone named Jesus of Nazareth was existing in the Godhead before the Incarnation? Odd. The Divine Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity, God the Son, the Son of Man (See Daniel) was who was existing before the Incarnation. Be careful here lest you fall into Mormonistic thinking. That being assumed a human nature in an mystical union wherein no confusion, mixture, or division took place. One Person, two natures, one divine nature, one human nature.

AMR
The above post is a perfect example of your lies and deception in response to Stripe's comments. You know perfectly well what he said, but CHOOSE to make an attempt to discredit his views, all the while ignoring Nang's who said:

According to eternal decree and divine purpose, He was always God/Man.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think it is helpful to characterize Calvinists in this manner.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How would you prefer to characterize them?

I'm not overly interested in characterizing them. What I want to hear is an explanation for what they claim.

Perhaps when it becomes obvious that they are genuinely disinterested in explaining themselves rationally, I will start characterizing them. :devil:

S0ZO

I'm not overly interested in characterizing them. What I want to hear is an explanation for what they claim.
Good luck with that. :chuckle:

I've been waiting for years, which is why I have no problem characterizing them. :cheers:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good luck with that. :chuckle:

I've been waiting for years, which is why I have no problem characterizing them. :cheers:

They're generally not evolutionists, which is why I'm not so engaged. :chuckle:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
They're generally not evolutionists, which is why I'm not so engaged. :chuckle:

Correct.

But the Reformed ("Calvinist") beliefs are biblically thorough and therefore lengthy (e.g. "The Westminster Confession of Faith"), so our system of belief is not easy to just generalize.

If you or S0ZO truly want to dig into our views, specific questions will have to be asked about specific doctrines. :think:

Nang

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Reformed ("Calvinist") beliefs are biblically thorough.
Then you should be able to show biblically how Jesus taking on human form was not a change.

Our system of belief is not easy to just generalize.
It is a very specific question.

If you or S0ZO truly want to dig into our views, specific questions will have to be asked about specific doctrines.

How is the incarnation not a change to the Godhead?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
"The Son of God, the second Person of the Trinity, being very and eternal God, of one substance and equal with the Father, did, when the fulness of time was come, take upon Him man's nature, with all the essential properties, and common infirmities thereof, yet without sin; being conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, in the womb of the virgin Mary, of her substance. So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures; the Godhead, and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion ('change') composition, or confusion. Which person is very God and very man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man." The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter VIII, Article II

Bible References: John 1:1, 14; I John 5:20, Philippians 2:6, Galatians 4:4, Hebrews 2:14-17, 4:15; Luke 1:27-35; Colossians 2:9, Romans 9:5, I Peter 3:18, I Timothy 3:16, Romans 1:3-4; I Timothy 2:5

- - - - - -

This biblical teaching of the Incarnation, includes no suggestion of any change necessary within the Godhead, to provide mankind a Savior; the God/Man, Jesus the Christ, who alone could reconcile sinners with their Creator.

God the Son was able and willing to assume the same flesh and blood of His creatures, without relinquishing His divinity and attributes, in order to achieve their salvation. Hebrews 2:10-14 In fact just the opposite to changing His essence, it is because of the divine nature and power of God in which Jesus was conceived, that He was equipped to function fully both as the Son of God and the Son of Man in this world. I John 5:20

Why or what do you think God had to change, in order to fulfill what He had decreed and purposed to do, before the foundation of the world?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This biblical teaching of the Incarnation, includes no suggestion of any change necessary within the Godhead

There is a necessary change. At one time, Jesus had not become incarnate, then later He had.

How can that not be a change?

What is the problem if it is a change?